Home

Madden 2006 vs. NFL 2K6

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 vs. NFL 2K6 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Madden 2006 vs. NFL 2K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56
The Heading said Madden 06 vs. NFL 2K6....Here's the article:

It's time to set things straight. For all of you pissed off Sega fans, all you on-the-fence EA fans, and all of you who complained loudly for a long time last year just because you could, the time has come to pay the piper. Are you going to buy Madden NFL 06 or not?

Nearly eight months ago, on December 14, 2004, EA sent off one of the most powerful press releases it's written in the last 10 years. This one exclaimed EA had just bought the exclusive rights to the National Football League for the next five years. Not only, that, it nabbed the NFL players license too. This shocking news represented EA's massive weight coming down on its pesky North Bay competitor, ESPN Games (formerly Visual Concepts), which had finally cut deeply into EA's marketshare by under-pricing EA with a price of $19.99.

Fans, football players, gamers, and whoever else in the entire industry that cared one iota about football and the importance of competition weighed in on the debate. Letters came pouring into IGN for weeks during that normally slow final weeks prior to Christmas. Sadly, however, EA had not illegally monopolized the genre. It had just once again been the highest bidder in the latest development in the NFL.

Still, there seemed to be a certain verve to EA's move. Was EA setting out on a path of vengeance? In our most rational moments we felt EA had fairly grabbed the license, but the move also felt mean hearted, tyrannical, and promised to be a bad move for football fans in general. What would happen to the great competition between Sega and EA that generated some of the very best football games in the history of videogame sports? What would happen to the innovation, the new features, the one-up-man-ship between these often bitter rivals?

Soon after this announcement, EA made additional moves, all of which convinced us it didn't just intend on exclusively owning the NFL licenses. The tide of events solidified our opinions. EA soon grabbed the ESPN license away from Sega and ESPN Games, which forced them to change their name, and ripped their livelihood out from under them. It bought the exclusive rights to college football. And finally, it bought out the videogame rights to the Arena League, just to clarify that EA would be the sole owner of anything related to American football. This was not just competition. It was competition With a message: Don't screw with EA.

EA defended this position as fair competition. Sega had the chance to lay down cash for the NFL license and apparently, it didn't have quite as much. The NFL laid down the rules, and everyone bid, we were told. Sega, apparently, also didn't have the rights to ESPN solidified either, because EA got those rights quicker than lighting strikes. Right out from under Sega. Ea purchase of the Arena and college licenses, well…those were just like throwing salt in Sega's wounds. All in the name of competition, of course.

Not a pretty sight. But no illegal moves were made. Just shrewd, business decisions that eliminated one of the best and most competitive genres in the business. EA's PR team tried to go on the offensive, telling us this was a great move and next year's Madden would be an excellent new game for the series. But amidst the moves to potentially buyout Ubisoft and Digital Illusions C.E., they didn't gain much sympathy.

When we (IGN) talked about the moves and the reactions and the repercussions last year, we all agreed on one thing: EA had better make Madden NFL 06 the best football game in history Why? Because without the competition from Sega, without that uncertainty of what the other guy would do, without the fear of a looming opponent, we knew what would happen. It's human nature: Without competition, EA would falter.

So now we're here, the end of summer 2005. Madden NFL 06 is out. And we've scored it the lowest Madden rating in years, 8.8. We're not the only ones scoring it so low. Other sites have given it everything from an 8.9 to an 8.2. Yes, there are a few high scores too, some 10s and such, but it's clear this is not only not greatest Madden game ever, it's not as good as the last two years of Madden. Has the lack of competition hurt Madden's game? Has EA's hubris painted its development team into a corner with unreal expectations? Has EA lost is spark?

Before I end this editorial, I want to ask each one of you personally whether you complained last year about EA's move. I want to ask you if you were pissed off, and whether you told people you weren't going to buy the next Madden because you were so fed up. I want to know, when push comes to shove, now that EA has the only game in town, was it worth it? Did EA make the football genre better? Did EA's move forward the genre? Did the lack of competition give EA an edge, or did it simply eliminate choices? Would things have been different if Sega was still in the picture?

Most importantly, I want to know whether you're going to send EA a message or go with the status quo. I heard weeks of complaints last year about EA's move. The boards were lit up. Our mailbag was lit up. The industry was abuzz with talk. I heard about bans, petitions, and possible lawsuits. I heard a lot of people pissed off at EA's business moves. But how many of you remembered that anger from last year? How many of you have forgotten? How many of you have already forgiven EA just so you could play football?

The big question is: Are you going to buy Madden NFL 06 or not?

CREDIT: IGN
so what did IGN do, pull another gamestop, by writting somthing then removing it quickly, I find it real funny what these site are doing, gametop writes about glithes that don't exisit in the game, and then IGN does almost the same thing by writting somthing then pulling it. Thank God for OS, for the people here keeping it real
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 08-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
so what did IGN do, pull another gamestop, by writting somthing then removing it quickly, I find it real funny what these site are doing, gametop writes about glithes that don't exisit in the game, and then IGN does almost the same thing by writting somthing then pulling it. Thank God for OS, for the people here keeping it real
Hey FootballForever, I remember you from the 2K boards. I'm gonna miss the 2K football series, but I guess we must move on. I just bought Madden today and I'll be playing it in about an hour. I guess people don't try a game and just shoot their mouth. I know in an earlier thread yesterday you thought I was shooting my mouth defending 2K even though I hadn't played Madden. That was not the point of my post at the time and it was more so geared towards EA's business practices.

Like I said earlier, if Madden is not exciting than 2K fans can always update the roster and use the editor that's available. Or could wait till Madden 360 which I have high hopes for.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #11
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
Get it right..its Gamespot not Gamestop which is a store...What is funny is IGN.com finally wrote something negative about EA and everyone is talking this is rigged and they are bias....are you f..king kidding me. IGN is on EA's payroll and always have been. I guess you forgot when they changed their reviews to suit EA fans and then went back and bashed the 2k series last year. All it is, is IGN is fed up and for once telling the truth, instead blinding the world due to their checks. Gotta give them credit for having the balls to finally say Madden is a bad game. If this type of review/news would have been along time ago. Maybe Madden would be more in depth and improved, instead of EA buying out our right to have a second or third option. Enough with all the Madden Fannism...and just be honest with yourselves you wanted more too. Admit it, Madden 06 is a f..k up and not having another option to play is finally becoming a mind setting reality. Especially for the ones that buy both games every year. Like the article stated, it makes you wonder what the 2k6 would have brought to the table. Because EA's Madden 06 just didn't deliver. For once IGN spoke up instead of praising EA to the fullest like they do every year.
Also you read in the article where they state its just not them. Alot of sites have give Madden the lowest rating they've had in years of the franchise.

And the Poll isn't rigged its just finally speaking the truth. People are finally stepping up and being honest. Instead of the many forums lying and trying to make Madden seem like its a great game and nothing is wrong with it. People are disappointed and hopefully it will encourage EA to step up and make a better game, since they've bought their way to the top. They need to prove they deserve to be there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #12
Captain Sarcastic

OVR: 6

Everyone is going to loose in the long run due to the exclusive deal. I love the IGN article. I remembered how pissed off I was when I heard it, and I'm still pissed off. I won't do more than rent madden or any other EA game for that point. I know it won't make a differance, but it's all I can do to show I'm not happy with their actions. I also canceled my sunday ticket for the first time in 4 years.

Once again I know it won't do anything, but it makes me feel better. It's utter bull**** EA was allowed to do this. You can stand up for madden all you want, but evertime you go shopping for food you have options even if you are not greatful for them. If all the other candybars get pulled but your favorite, your not pissed off, but everyone else is.

I won't buy an EA title for 5 year, and I won't have the sunday ticket for 5 years. It's all the little guys can do, and I'm glad IGN reminded us all.

Last edited by xxzone; 08-09-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:14 PM   #13
Captain Sarcastic

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Get it right..its Gamespot not Gamestop which is a store...What is funny is IGN.com finally wrote something negative about EA and everyone is talking this is rigged and they are bias....are you f..king kidding me. IGN is on EA's payroll and always have been. I guess you forgot when they changed their reviews to suit EA fans and then went back and bashed the 2k series last year. All it is, is IGN is fed up and for once telling the truth, instead blinding the world due to their checks. Gotta give them credit for having the balls to finally say Madden is a bad game. If this type of review/news would have been along time ago. Maybe Madden would be more in depth and improved, instead of EA buying out our right to have a second or third option. Enough with all the Madden Fannism...and just be honest with yourselves you wanted more too. Admit it, Madden 06 is a f..k up and not having another option to play is finally becoming a mind setting reality. Especially for the ones that buy both games every year. Like the article stated, it makes you wonder what the 2k6 would have brought to the table. Because EA's Madden 06 just didn't deliver. For once IGN spoke up instead of praising EA to the fullest like they do every year.
Also you read in the article where they state its just not them. Alot of sites have give Madden the lowest rating they've had in years of the franchise.

And the Poll isn't rigged its just finally speaking the truth. People are finally stepping up and being honest. Instead of the many forums lying and trying to make Madden seem like its a great game and nothing is wrong with it. People are disappointed and hopefully it will encourage EA to step up and make a better game, since they've bought their way to the top. They need to prove they deserve to be there.

Nice post!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #14
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2

I hope EA learns from all the negative criticism that they are receiving with Madden 2006 and fix these issues for next gen Madden. EA always has taken baby steps just patching and refining the game engine for the life cycle of a console. EA was able to get away with this practice on the Genesis, Playstation, and the first 2 years of this generation. When the Dreamcast came along, VC/SEGA's pigskin offering NFL2K brought real competition to the table as the years passed.

With every 2K iteration, VC made more than just baby steps to improve the overall game.

It is really sad that it has taken gamers and reviewers this long to realize what VC/SEGA had to offer all these years. If reviewers had given Madden a bad score years ago or gamers stopped buying Madden in droves than things might be different today. Everyone needs to remember that NFL is to blame for this problem at hand today. If VC would have won, than maybe everyone would be turning on VC. The NFL is the real crime lord here as they were the ones that went to both EA and VC for offers.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxzone
Everyone is going to loose in the long run due to the exclusive deal. I love the IGN article. I remembered how pissed off I was when I heard it, and I'm still pissed off. I won't do more than rent madden or any other EA game for that point. I know it won't make a differance, but it's all I can do to show I'm not happy with their actions. I also canceled my sunday ticket for the first time in 4 years.

Once again I know it won't do anything, but it makes me feel better. It's utter bull**** EA was allowed to do this. You can stand up for madden all you want, but evertime you go shopping for food you have options even if you are not greatful for them. If all the other candybars get pulled but your favorite, your not pissed off, but everyone else is.

I won't buy an EA title for 5 year, and I won't have the sunday ticket for 5 years. It's all the little guys can do, and I'm glad IGN reminded us all.
I'm going to give Madden a fair shake, but if it is horrible I am heading back to updating 2K5 as I wait to see what Madden 360 provides.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2005, 11:31 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 13

Madden 2006 has very serious AI issues money plays like the quick slant which works everytime even on ALL MADDEN. And guess what? This was a game killing money play in Madden 2005. This is just pathetic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »