Home

QB Vision is not necessary, its always been there.

This is a discussion on QB Vision is not necessary, its always been there. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
QB Vision is not necessary, its always been there.

Here's the problem I have with QB vision. It just seems like an extra step that the user has to make before throwing the ball, which results in a lot of sacks, at least for me. QB vision does not necissarily need to be in the game because the user has always had to use "his" vision in the first place. Althought all the receivers are clearly viewable on the screen when the QB drops back its not like the user has the ability to literally lock onto all receivers, you have to go through your progressions.

Its a bit hard to explain what I'm saying so I'll say it again like this. Think about all the football games prior to this one. When you dropped back and the receiver icons came up (X, B, A or square, triangle, whatever) you usually had a primary receiver you'd look at first right? I know I did, and still do. Once the ball is snapped you literally are looking at him, if he's covered you move to another receiver that's hopefully open, going through your progession until you find a hole in the defense. This is QB vision enough. I understand that EA wanted to make certain QB's have better vision but that can easily be adjusted with the pass accuracy in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 04:02 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: QB Vision is not necessary, its always been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Here's the problem I have with QB vision. It just seems like an extra step that the user has to make before throwing the ball, which results in a lot of sacks, at least for me. QB vision does not necissarily need to be in the game because the user has always had to use "his" vision in the first place. Althought all the receivers are clearly viewable on the screen when the QB drops back its not like the user has the ability to literally lock onto all receivers, you have to go through your progressions.

Its a bit hard to explain what I'm saying so I'll say it again like this. Think about all the football games prior to this one. When you dropped back and the receiver icons came up (X, B, A or square, triangle, whatever) you usually had a primary receiver you'd look at first right? I know I did, and still do. Once the ball is snapped you literally are looking at him, if he's covered you move to another receiver that's hopefully open, going through your progession until you find a hole in the defense. This is QB vision enough. I understand that EA wanted to make certain QB's have better vision but that can easily be adjusted with the pass accuracy in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I agree with you Gagnon39. The QB Vision does seem like an extra process you have to go through. Sometimes it seems more of a hassle than a productive tool, however I am using Roethlisberger and his sight isn't quite good.....lol. Anyway, although I think it gets annoying sometimes I do think it is a good addition and allows for a more realistic experience<--realistic as in Vick isn't as "accurate" as Favre
Old 08-10-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
MVP

dave360's Arena

OVR: 17

Good post Gagnon. I like the feature as well, but I'd love to get 1-2 seconds more to throw a pass. I've been getting sacked more than groceries and the Titans O line isn't bad (all at least 80's). I edited McNair's awareness up a little bit till I get more used to the cone, then I'll edit it back down to what it was pre-edit. I'm not quite the thumb jockey I used to be.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 AM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

And Vick shouldn't be as accurate as Favre, but that should just be adjusted in the QB Accuracy slider/setting. Like I said, in my opinion the QB vision is not needed whatsoever. The problem is that I can see a receiver open half the time but I try and switch my cone on the receiver (holding the R trigger and then pressing the corresponding button), by that time I'm sacked. Especially if I'm looking at a 3rd receiver in my progression. If I play this game anymore I'll be turning it off. I'm eagerly waiting NHL 2K6, which should hold me over for Madden 360, which I think it going to be good.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-10-2005, 04:12 AM   #5
MVP

RahKhem's Arena

OVR: 11

But here is the problem. Sure "we" can scan progressions by ourselves with our own eyes. The problem, from a realism standpoint, is that we have the same "eyes" for every QB. I'm not saying that V&P is perfect, but there needs to be a way to needs to be a way to tangibly "see" the difference between a Vick and a McNabb in terms of "awareness", or in this case, reading a defense. So to answer to original post, QB Vision has not always been there, because now our "eyes" have to be different for different QBs, which makes sense to me.

P.S. It was also mentioned that to try and differentiate between QBs you can make a greater hit in pass accuracy, and that just won't work either. Again I'll use the Vick and McNabb comparison. Vick is actually a pretty accurate passer. He's not Manning or Brady, but he can fit the ball into some tight spots with great velocity. The problem for Vick right now is that he'll throw a ball that would be in perfect stride for a receiver, but he doesn't realize there will be a defender there when he throws that ball. That's not accuracy, that is awareness. Conversely, McNabb has great awareness of the field and where defenders are heading towards, but his accuracy on the passes themselves is not elite. Up until last year, there would routinely be situations where McNabb would find the right guy to throw to, but throw it in the dirt or throw it behind him. That, my friend, is accuracy. Accuracy and awareness can't be effected by the same thing, or you will not be able to show the true difference between a Tom Brady and a Jeff George, or a McNabb and a Vick.

Last edited by RahKhem; 08-10-2005 at 04:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 04:14 AM   #6
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

This was made to address a legit beef...cheezer scrambling. This also equates to an admirable stance by EA, basically making the cheezies learn to play real football. I like it for that alone.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:01 AM   #7
Rookie

TurboVol's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree its not necessary, but I may wind up using it afterall. The major thing I like about it, is now I have the ability to look off the defense.

It is a bit cumbersome though with the extra button pushes.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:15 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahKhem
But here is the problem. Sure "we" can scan progressions by ourselves with our own eyes. The problem, from a realism standpoint, is that we have the same "eyes" for every QB. I'm not saying that V&P is perfect, but there needs to be a way to needs to be a way to tangibly "see" the difference between a Vick and a McNabb in terms of "awareness", or in this case, reading a defense. So to answer to original post, QB Vision has not always been there, because now our "eyes" have to be different for different QBs, which makes sense to me.

P.S. It was also mentioned that to try and differentiate between QBs you can make a greater hit in pass accuracy, and that just won't work either. Again I'll use the Vick and McNabb comparison. Vick is actually a pretty accurate passer. He's not Manning or Brady, but he can fit the ball into some tight spots with great velocity. The problem for Vick right now is that he'll throw a ball that would be in perfect stride for a receiver, but he doesn't realize there will be a defender there when he throws that ball. That's not accuracy, that is awareness. Conversely, McNabb has great awareness of the field and where defenders are heading towards, but his accuracy on the passes themselves is not elite. Up until last year, there would routinely be situations where McNabb would find the right guy to throw to, but throw it in the dirt or throw it behind him. That, my friend, is accuracy. Accuracy and awareness can't be effected by the same thing, or you will not be able to show the true difference between a Tom Brady and a Jeff George, or a McNabb and a Vick.
I agree with this post. QB vision has always been there for the USER, but not to the game. Lets compare AJ Feely to Peyton Manning.

With out QB Vision, a player picks up the controller and can see the whole field just as well with both players. You can look at the whole field, and if you see someone open, you fire it in. The only different is that their ratings will dictated the acc and the velocity of the ball, other than that the user is able to see the whole field and make quick decisions with both players. But realistically, can both players simply eye that open WR as quickly? Do you think AJ Feely has the same vision and Manning does on the football field? No I think not.

It is true you can still see the whole field regardless of the cone. But truthfully, the time that it takes Feely to see that open WR and Peyton Manning is a difference in the game, and in real life. Peyton Manning, and the user, can see mostly the whole field in the game, and make that pass quickly. AJ Feely can see a fraction of the field and can only make accurate passes to that section, but the user can see the whole field...so in order to make a pass the user must take that extra time to make that pass. Thats also the difference in real life, Manning can read his receivers much quicker and make that pass much quicker. AJ Feely...ha...no comment.

Truthfully, for those who are bitchin are the ones struggling. Those who don't struggle do not complain...that's how the world works, its almost human nature. To come and say yeah I've got it down, means you might be used to it, but you still are making mistakes that are pissin you off and you wouldn't have made if the cone was absent. Like I said those who are complainin, are those who are strugglin...period.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »