Home

Fumbled a punt in my own endzone.. Safety?

This is a discussion on Fumbled a punt in my own endzone.. Safety? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #17
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Fumbled a punt in my own endzone.. Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
It is a touchback peoples! Since the other team did not touch the ball and the ball was not kicked out of the endzone to avoid the other team from getting it...........it therefore is a touchback! The same player recovered the ball in the endzone where it was originally received. No different than if the ball would have touched off the players hands and gone out of bounds in the endzone where it was received...........still a touchback.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this. This is a kicked ball situation:

Quote:
11. A punted ball remains a kicked ball until it is declared dead or in possession of either team.
Quote:
30. Touchback: When a ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal line, provided the impetus came from an opponent and provided it is not a touchdown or a missed field goal.
When the punt return man muffed the punt in his own end zone, the impetus was no longer considered to be caused by the punter. At that instant, he became the cause of the ball's impetus, meaning that this is a live ball. All of the normal rules for a live ball in a teams own ez are considered to apply (offense recovers it's a safety, defense recovers it's a td).
Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #18
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

if the PR was in the endzone and recovered it himself and never left the endzone, it is a TOUCHBACK. Doesn't matter if he muffed, fumbled or whatever, he never left the endzone, so it can't be a safety since it was kicked into the endzone.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Wow, I cant believe some people actually think a safety is the correct call here. If he had touched the ball outside the endzone it would have been a safety, but he said he was in the endzone the whole time.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Okay, I lied. One simple definition though.

26. Safety: The situation in which the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal if the impetus comes from a player on that team. Two points are scored for the opposing team.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #21
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17
Wink Re: Fumbled a punt in my own endzone.. Safety?

Cool here is the actual rule:

75. When Rules says it is a "touchback" then it is a "touchback."

Well there you go.......whew finally found the definition. Problem solved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #22
Rookie

its a safety. how r u questioning it? u got tackled in ur own endzone. it doesn't matter that u didn't bring the ball out of the endzone. it's a safety. i don't have madden, but i look on the boards 2 get peoples impressions of it. i can't believe that the peoples impressions i read don't realize that this is a safety.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 14

What does "impetus" mean in the context it is being used in these rule posts?

The ball hit my players back, and also may have dropped and hit his foot. The screen said "Fumble" and he then picked up the ball, and got tackled in the endzone, which he, or the ball, had never left.

There are some good posts here, but the information appears to be contrasting unfortunately.

Logically, it seems like a touchback, but the game said safety, and I am unsure if a "muff" warrants a different ruling than a fumble when it occurs in the end zone.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_dog_x
its a safety. how r u questioning it? u got tackled in ur own endzone. it doesn't matter that u didn't bring the ball out of the endzone. it's a safety. i don't have madden, but i look on the boards 2 get peoples impressions of it. i can't believe that the peoples impressions i read don't realize that this is a safety.
What are you talking about, so you're telling me if a player receives a kickoff in his own endzone and gets tackled instead of taking a knee its a safety. You gotta be kidding me. Or what about when a defender intercepts a ball in the endzone and gets tackled, is that also a safety. It definitely does matter that he didn't bring it out, this play is supposed to be a touchback.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »