Home

Fumbled a punt in my own endzone.. Safety?

This is a discussion on Fumbled a punt in my own endzone.. Safety? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Fumbled a punt in my own endzone.. Safety?

It is a Safety a Kickoff is different that would have been a touchback but since it was a Punt the result is a safety, this is the rule once the ball is touched thats your possesion on a punt, lmao one of the big reasons that no team will ever retrieve a punt in the endzone or get near a ball thats inside the 10 yard line!!!

btw dude If you get tackled in the endzone on a kickoff that is a touchback!

Kickoffs and Punts are 2 differnt things!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimplication
The fumble/muff definitely has a relation to the play, as otherwise it would clearly be a touchback; but it seems, and Madden rules, that it isn't.

The question I have is, which ruling is correct, and why?
The fumble definitely has no relation on the play, this is just a bug in the game or a weird glitch that made it happen this one time. Madden isn't perfect, the game makes mistakes every now and then.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #35
Rookie

SAFETY
1. The important factor in a safety is impetus. Two points are scored for the opposing team when the ball is dead on or behind a team's own goal line if the impetus came from a player on that team.
Examples of Safety:
(a) Blocked punt goes out of kicking team's end zone. Impetus was provided by punting team. The block only changes direction of ball, not impetus.
(b) Ball carrier retreats from field of play into his own end zone and is downed. Ball carrier provides impetus.
(c) Offensive team commits a foul and spot of enforcement is behind its own goal line.
(d) Player on receiving team muffs punt and, trying to get ball, forces or illegally kicks (creating new impetus) it into end zone where it goes out of the end zone or is recovered by a member of the receiving team in the end zone

These are the rules for a getting a safety in the NFL. As you can see the only way to get a safety when receiving a punt is when you muff the ball from outside of the endzone into the endzone.

When you receive a punt in the endzone and kneel the ball its not a safety.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro110
So you're telling me that when a player receives a kickoff and takes a knee, its a safety?
I think you are misunderstanding him. He never said that, he actually just confused himself and you are jumping on him for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro110
What happens if a player receives a punt in the endzone and takes a knee? That should be the answer to whether this play should be a safety or a touchback. The muff has no effect on the outcome of the play.
Very good call. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen this happen in an NFL game before, because you are supposed to just let it go and have the punting team make it a touchback.

To determine this logically, you have to determine the differences between kickoffs and punts. When a kickoff has gone 10 yards, it is a live ball. If the kicking team had the ability to get to the ball before the receiving team, they get possession of the ball. On a punted ball, the ball is ONLY live once the receiving team has touched the ball. So... once he fumbled the ball, it became a live ball. But assuming touchback rules are the same for kickoffs and punts, it should be a touchback. So that's what we have to find out. It seems logical to call it a touchback as long as it didn't go out of the endzone, so I'll actually flip flop to that decision. However, I've never seen this happen so I can't imagine how anyone can know unless they get a specific rule.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaunki
I think you are misunderstanding him. He never said that, he actually just confused himself and you are jumping on him for no reason.

Very good call. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen this happen in an NFL game before, because you are supposed to just let it go and have the punting team make it a touchback.

To determine this logically, you have to determine the differences between kickoffs and punts. When a kickoff has gone 10 yards, it is a live ball. If the kicking team had the ability to get to the ball before the receiving team, they get possession of the ball. On a punted ball, the ball is ONLY live once the receiving team has touched the ball. So... once he fumbled the ball, it became a live ball. But assuming touchback rules are the same for kickoffs and punts, it should be a touchback. So that's what we have to find out. It seems logical to call it a touchback as long as it didn't go out of the endzone, so I'll actually flip flop to that decision. However, I've never seen this happen so I can't imagine how anyone can know unless they get a specific rule.
I never said he specifically said that about taking a knee on a kickoff. But he did say " u got tackled in ur own endzone. it doesn't matter that u didn't bring the ball out of the endzone. it's a safety." So I was just trying to make the point that it clearly does matter whether you bring the ball out of the endzone, since taking a knee and getting tackled in the endzone have the same result.

Also, I showed you the safety rule that the NFL follows, those are the only ways to get a safety. The only mention of punts is when you fumble the ball outside of the endzone and it goes into the endzone. Why don't you just play a game and receive a punt in the endzone and see what happens?

I kind of see your point about the ball being live on the kickoff, but that doesn't matter. You're saying the ball is live on a kickoff after 10 yards, so when you take a knee in the endzone it was with a live ball. Once a player receives a punt it becomes live, so once again you're taking a knee in the endzone with a live ball. There is no difference on the touchback rules.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #38
Rookie

Yeah, I think your safety rules seel the deal. Providing everyone understands "impetus" the same(and correct) way, it was probably a glitch that it happened to be a safety.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #39
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

actually, i think the call was correct, check out these definitions of impetous and safety.....14. Impetus: The action of a player that gives momentum to the ball.
obviously, having a ball hit you would create impetus, because you give momentum to the ball...and for safety... 1. The important factor in a safety is impetus. Two points are scored for the opposing team when the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal line if the impetus came from a player on that team.

the impetus came from you hitting the ball, the ball was downed in your end zone, therefore it is a safety...even if it isnt, DONT FIELD A PUNT IN YOUR ENDZONE...LOL
Old 08-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #40
Rookie

Please read all of the words in the rule, "...forces or illegally kicks (creating new impetus) it into end zone...". I can't believe people are saying that this is a safety. Do you understand the words 'into end zone'? The ball went into the end zone from the impetus of the kicker. The new impetus caused by the muff didn't cause the ball to go into the end zone. The reason that you don't see it in the NFL is because there is usually nothing to gain. More than likely, you're not going to run it out, so catching it will just put you at the 20 just like not catching it. If you don't field it cleanly, you give the other team a chance. Point blank, it's a touchback. As for a kickoff, if you catch the ball in the end zone, drop the ball, pick it back up, run around in the end zone, get tackled in the end zone while never coming out of the end zone, it's a touchback. Madden got this one wrong, and so did a lot of people on this thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »