Home

I thought run blocking was improved this year...

This is a discussion on I thought run blocking was improved this year... within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #9

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: I thought run blocking was improved this year...

Simply the biggest mistake is pressing X directly after a handoff, you dont give your oline time to open up the holes. Its kinda like why Portis had trouble in Washington, he was used to the fast pasted pick you hole and hit it hard in Denver, but Gibbs runs the Counter Trey and other slow developing plays.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

It might seem like its not working, but it is, its not nearly as pretty as 2K or as gratiffying but in the end the running game is pretty realistic as a whole. the blocking is still very spotty and MArio running is still in full effect but i ussuall end up with a 24 carry 125 yard game when im running effectively.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
Simply the biggest mistake is pressing X directly after a handoff, you dont give your oline time to open up the holes. Its kinda like why Portis had trouble in Washington, he was used to the fast pasted pick you hole and hit it hard in Denver, but Gibbs runs the Counter Trey and other slow developing plays.
Not exactly how I understand it. The Denver zone running plays are slower paced for the RB because it requires the RB to find his own hole or cutback lane. The Counter Trey creates a hole. Portis had trouble because he was being indecisive looking for a cutback instead of just following the pulling linemen/H-back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
All Star

p2xgamers's Arena

OVR: 19

It's much better, not perfect but definately better. To be honest in the past I would just go around to the left or right everytime and hope I can get around the defenders, now I can go up the middle, left or right and I actually have my players open up holes. It's amazing.

My Blog
Old 08-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

One thing that is MUCH improved over previous years is the outside run blocking - as long as you're not sprinting as soon as you get the ball. When you run to the outside, your blockers stay ahead and engage the defense like they should. After they engage, then it's time to jam on the x button (PS2) and turn the corner. I've broken off a few long runs like this with Julius Jones so far.

If anything, it seems to me that the run blocking might be a little too good on default - too much of that dreaded "P" word that everyone hates talking about.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 13

I have heard that you shouldn't jam the sprint botton the moment you get the ball, but I do it all the time and I average over a 100 yards rushing per game(All-Pro)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »