Home

Michaels, Madden an embarrassment

This is a discussion on Michaels, Madden an embarrassment within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Michaels, Madden an embarrassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
What, they're not actually sitting there commenting on the games? You're kidding me!
Maybe the script writers are partly to blame, but these two knuckleheads bring no energy to their work (see Corso, Herbsteit, Nessler). Michaels acts like he's above it all. And Madden, for the millions that EA has paid him through the years, you'd think he'd take a little pride in his work.
Here's my take on the quality of the commentary in Madden: John Madden, Al Michaels and before him Pat Summerall, are all old guys. Have you ever seen older peoples' reaction when they see a modern videogame? They marvel at everything! Even relatively tech-savvy seniors are wowed by just about everything in videogames these days. I think when they are shown the finished product, Madden and Michaels are genuinely impressed that a videogame can have ANY commentary at all, so they have no idea how much BETTER the commentary could be. I doubt they play any other videogames (I doubt they even play Madden, really), so they have absolutely no frame of reference. And I'm sure no one at EA is saying "Al, you're an icon in the announcing business and a true legend in sports broadcasting, but your work on this game sucks."
Old 08-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

I have turned Madden's commentary off since it was put in the game. He has be saying the same things for years.

I really hope when the ESPN license is in, that Madden will only be used on Monday night games, and they use other for all other games. But I doubt that will happen.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
Return of the Blake

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpot
Micheals doesn't even have emotion in real life.
Does anyone remember the Giants Bills Superbowl and the Norwood miss? That miss was the final play and was win-lose for Buffalo. Michaels chimed in late (after the miss) and a very dull "Wide right". No exclamation point!! Elaine must have been going nuts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Most of the time, I find myself not really paying attention to the commentary in Madden unil last night. I break one with Julius Jones for about 60 yards and you'd think there was no commentary in the game. All I heard was TOUCHDOWN!

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 08-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
MVP

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Squish
Here's my take on the quality of the commentary in Madden: John Madden, Al Michaels and before him Pat Summerall, are all old guys. Have you ever seen older peoples' reaction when they see a modern videogame? They marvel at everything! Even relatively tech-savvy seniors are wowed by just about everything in videogames these days. I think when they are shown the finished product, Madden and Michaels are genuinely impressed that a videogame can have ANY commentary at all, so they have no idea how much BETTER the commentary could be. I doubt they play any other videogames (I doubt they even play Madden, really), so they have absolutely no frame of reference. And I'm sure no one at EA is saying "Al, you're an icon in the announcing business and a true legend in sports broadcasting, but your work on this game sucks."
Man, that's actually a very good point. I doubt EA peopel would dare tell them they aren't doing a good job on the commentary (emotion-wise), so it would be up to Madden and Micheals themselves to decide to put more heart into it. On the other hand, the EA people could at least give them new/more commentary script.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #14
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpot
Micheals doesn't even have emotion in real life.
Have you listened to the call in the 1980 Olympics? That's as emotional as he gets. 2k always had the more lively announcers and a better code to implement it, even before the current gen days. I really don't mind Madden and Michaels on TV, but atrocious is an excellent word to describe their commentary in Madden.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

I have a good solution for the horrid commentary:

Go to System Options.
Go to Audio.
Turn all of them all the way down.
Purchase a stereo.
Put in cd of your choice.
Press Play.

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #16
PGH for GTA VI

spacefunk's Arena

OVR: 13

Why don't they get the guy from Joe Montana Talking Football? "Third down and I can't believe it!" Or get Frank Caliendo from Mad TV. "Instead of vagina, I'll call it monkey." Like most others I just play music, or turn on the AM radio. I know it's not the MTZ, but it keeps me current.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »