Home

Punt Returning

This is a discussion on Punt Returning within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Punt Returning

I just do a Punt Block every time the other team punts...you actually have a shot to block it if you have a speedy DB/WR on the end. And occasionally you'll get a chance to return it a few yards. B.J. Sams has 7.0 YPR on Punt Returns..of course he only has 2 attempts, one for 8 yards and one for 6 yards. The other 20 or so have been fair catches.

"Excuse me, but Hiphop these days, it don't enthuse me"

---Chino XL
Old 08-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21

Concerning the punt returns. I've got something that I do that seems to help part of the time, atleast it gives me about 1-2 seconds on occasion to field the punt and make an initial move. I've been able to get some decent returns but nothing outstanding. Seeing how EA does'nt care if your teamates block for you or not, I create my own block. What I do is take control of one of the outside blockers before the snap and run him back toward the punt returner (about 10 yards in front of him). I watch the direction of the punt and where the ball marker appears on the field indicating where the ball is coming down. During the flight of the ball I run that blocker toward the ball and try to position him in front of the nearest approaching defender. If it's timed right, the blocker will engage this defender and the punt returner slips under the ball with hopefully enough time to make a move. You still have time to call for a fair catch if the block is missed. Hard to explain but it does work from time to time. I know some people may look at this as cheese or unrealistic but so is the fact that punt returns are virtually 100% eliminated under normal gameplay. Like I said above, it works sometime and other times it does not. The longest return I've had thus far is maybe 25 yards with the average being between 5 and 10 yards. To me this is fairly reasonable.......
Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
I haven't even gotten close to being able to return a punt, which sucks because I use the Chiefs and Dante Hall is a huge weapon in the non-virtual world. It makes him pretty worthless in this game.
Great point. I don't play with the Chiefs, but if I did, I would be furious and frustrated because Dante Hall is feared by every special teams coach in football.

It's ironic that the great debates revolve around the "super zones" and the passing cone but very little is said about the lack of punt returns. I don't recall a single review mentioning it. We can take off the cone, problem fixed! We can tone down knockdowns and defensive awareness, problem kinda fixed!

But, it doesn't seem like there is any real fix for lack of punt returns. i can't speak for everyone else but I feel like the lack of punt returns is the biggest flaw in this game. It's sad that we hold our breath and hope for an 8-10 yard return. Many of us are just happy if we don't have to fair catch!

Now, I know there is someone out there who will be tempted to say: "I don't have problems with punt returns. I ran 2 back for TD's just the other day". If that's the case, tell us how you did it, and be very detailed because we want that experience too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #12
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier4974
Concerning the punt returns. I've got something that I do that seems to help part of the time, atleast it gives me about 1-2 seconds on occasion to field the punt and make an initial move. I've been able to get some decent returns but nothing outstanding. Seeing how EA does'nt care if your teamates block for you or not, I create my own block. What I do is take control of one of the outside blockers before the snap and run him back toward the punt returner (about 10 yards in front of him). I watch the direction of the punt and where the ball marker appears on the field indicating where the ball is coming down. During the flight of the ball I run that blocker toward the ball and try to position him in front of the nearest approaching defender. If it's timed right, the blocker will engage this defender and the punt returner slips under the ball with hopefully enough time to make a move. You still have time to call for a fair catch if the block is missed. Hard to explain but it does work from time to time. I know some people may look at this as cheese or unrealistic but so is the fact that punt returns are virtually 100% eliminated under normal gameplay. Like I said above, it works sometime and other times it does not. The longest return I've had thus far is maybe 25 yards with the average being between 5 and 10 yards. To me this is fairly reasonable.......
This is exactly why i come to these forums. Thanks for the details. I'm going to try this and hope to get better returns.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:01 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1
Smile Re: Punt Returning

As I mentioned in another thread:

OK guys - I found a way to get the Punt Returns to finally give us some room. You have to run "Punt Block Man" as your formation - you can't use any of the "return" formations - they just don't work anymore. Run "Punt Block Man" - some times the CPU will punt it out of bounds but about 50% of the time they'll kick it down there and since the CPU audibles to max protect you'll have time before all the defenders get down the field.

Try it - it works!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 8

Yep, the punt return is a total joke and I shake my head at the supposed blocker watching me rather than blocking. HTF this got through play testing is beyond me. Only answer can be that they dont really play test their games.

I will try the punt block man formation (I used to occasionally use it in madden 05) and also tweak the punt distance for the CPU slider.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »