Home

Problems i noticed as ESPN fan playing Madden 06.

This is a discussion on Problems i noticed as ESPN fan playing Madden 06. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Problems i noticed as ESPN fan playing Madden 06.

after a couple weeks of playing madden, i've noticed some changes for better or for worse.

1) it seems its extremely hard to throw deep balls even with precision to lob it high overhead with super jumping dbs that already got burned. also throwing high with precision on curls/slants/outs are amazingly good with the aggressive catch animations. i usually average around 150-200 yards throwing the ball with the short routes...but the chances of converting these deep ball plays including deep posts/slants is insanely tough which is kinda frustrating.

2) the running game is really tough. witht he pinball effects intact, it is quite a difference than ESPNs runnin ggame which i thought was very well done. the problem seems to be that running without turboing at the start is nearly impossible because every single defensive linemen is blowing up the play by getting penetration into the backfield. with that.. i had problems, but i think its mainly due to the speicific run plays such as blasts/slams. then i switched it up to doing counters and its jump started my effectiveness greatly. i think counters are a little too effective while the other runs are hit and miss.

3) another problem in the running game is perhaps the linebackers nto being able to contain the edges? i dont know.. but it seems the juke button glitch that gives you a slight turbo increase and makes it tough for the computer AI to square up and tackle you is still intact. im prety much able to juke and bounce outside everytime for massive gains i dont, but doing that.. with #2 which are counter plays.. im able to rack up an insane amount of yards per run... usually around 5-8 yards.

i usually dont want to resort to doing these things.. but its the only way for me to get my run game to work effectively. i tried it that way and im able to surpass the 100 yard make pretty much everytime pretty easily whereas before running regulary through turning manually/follow blocking would only net me around 50-70 yards a game.

i just want to know if you guys share the same things im noticing in the game or is it just me. even with these problems, i think its still a pretty solid game.

grade B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2005, 03:05 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Problems i noticed as ESPN fan playing Madden 06.

Passing deep isn't too easy in real life either, and the shorts routes are more likely to be completed in real life. Although I do agree there is a problem with throwing high with precision passing, I know what you are talkin about there. The deep ball is a little challenging tho..isn't that what we asked for?

The running game is fine IMO...who are you rollin with? Niners?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:17 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPlaya
Passing deep isn't too easy in real life either, and the shorts routes are more likely to be completed in real life. Although I do agree there is a problem with throwing high with precision passing, I know what you are talkin about there. The deep ball is a little challenging tho..isn't that what we asked for?

The running game is fine IMO...who are you rollin with? Niners?

1) i know what you mean about passing medium/long routes, but it has to get a tad frustrating when i am using offensive powerhouse teams like the rams/colts and try to have a high octane offensive showcase. i guess it will come as i adjust more and more to the game from ESPN.

2) the deep ball i know it is challenging.. but it isnt right when my receiver actually burned the db and has 2-3 steps as the ball is coming. the db then miraculously has huge comeback quickness and swats the ball by jumping insanely high in the air. i dont know about you, but when was the last time you saw someone recover in time to jump in the air swatting a deepball thrown to randy moss with his insane speed. its getting to the point where you can basically cheat and play bump and run everytime because you know your dbs will recover no matter what and swat it away.

3) i dont exclusively roll with teh 49ers. in the game they are quite pathetic actually. however, i do randomly play with all teams. i dont discriminate so i can get a good feel of improving my game with various teams and their players. its just that those same problems keep coming up which make it frustrating.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 10

I understand what you mean by the passing game, but you will get better as you play more, especially on the medium/long routes. You basically gotta look for guys that are OPEN...

I understand the long routes problem, but I think EA did this because if it were not to happen, WR's would get a deep ball every pass like in NCAA...I guess this just needs to be tuned up a bit. Hopefully with the new engine in Madden 360, everything will be great.

As for running, you'll get better you don't have to worry about that. A good strategy it to not speed burst as you get the ball..****n behind the FB without holdin X or A for about 1-3 seconds, then burst through. Try it and tell me how it works...

A good idea too to help sharpen your skills is to play mini camps..the drills and the game situation.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshotz
after a couple weeks of playing madden, i've noticed some changes for better or for worse.

1) it seems its extremely hard to throw deep balls even with precision to lob it high overhead with super jumping dbs that already got burned. also throwing high with precision on curls/slants/outs are amazingly good with the aggressive catch animations. i usually average around 150-200 yards throwing the ball with the short routes...but the chances of converting these deep ball plays including deep posts/slants is insanely tough which is kinda frustrating.

I agree. but sometime i get lucky in zone coverage when the saftey jumps and misses the ball. i have yet to hit a bomb over the DB. is it possible?

2) the running game is really tough. witht he pinball effects intact, it is quite a difference than ESPNs runnin ggame which i thought was very well done. the problem seems to be that running without turboing at the start is nearly impossible because every single defensive linemen is blowing up the play by getting penetration into the backfield. with that.. i had problems, but i think its mainly due to the speicific run plays such as blasts/slams. then i switched it up to doing counters and its jump started my effectiveness greatly. i think counters are a little too effective while the other runs are hit and miss.

I think running is great. I am lucky to hit the stupid stiff arm buttons because they are horribly placed. but i you never know on each play. plus once you have a 10 play drive the running gets easier.

3) another problem in the running game is perhaps the linebackers nto being able to contain the edges? i dont know.. but it seems the juke button glitch that gives you a slight turbo increase and makes it tough for the computer AI to square up and tackle you is still intact. im prety much able to juke and bounce outside everytime for massive gains i dont, but doing that.. with #2 which are counter plays.. im able to rack up an insane amount of yards per run... usually around 5-8 yards.

you need to up CPU AWR a bit and reduce Human Blocking sliders.

i usually dont want to resort to doing these things.. but its the only way for me to get my run game to work effectively. i tried it that way and im able to surpass the 100 yard make pretty much everytime pretty easily whereas before running regulary through turning manually/follow blocking would only net me around 50-70 yards a game.

i just want to know if you guys share the same things im noticing in the game or is it just me. even with these problems, i think its still a pretty solid game.

grade B
I agree. but sometime i get lucky in zone coverage when the saftey jumps and misses the ball. i have yet to hit a bomb over the DB. is it possible?

you need to up CPU AWR a bit and reduce Human Blocking sliders
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2005, 05:24 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
Yes, very possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
you need to up CPU AWR a bit
What AWR setting are you using right now? I'm using 15 and have no problems with the deep ball; well, saying I set it up the way I should.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:48 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 14

About that LB being able to catch up thing, I don't know about football or anything. But isn't the WR will have to slow down to adjust his position in case the ball is not thrown strong enough in long pass? Or of the ball is overthrown, he will have to speed up to get the ball on time? I don't know if there is such a thing as precision passing in real life, but even the best QB is not conistent in presession passing when it come to long pass. Once the ball is off from the QB's hand, the weather elements will take over and it will be up to the WR to get there on time or or adjust his speed to recieve the ball on time. If he slows down to catch the ball, of course the defenders will have the chance to catch up seeing as there only job is to hit the reciver or catch the ball themselves. I created a QB with max everything, and there are times where my reciever will reach the ball on time without slowing down. A lot of the times whether he will slow down or he won't reach the ball on time.

But don't take it from me, I am a newbie in football. Heck, I can't even play defense.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

I know that the deep ball isn't easy to complete in real life however, most of the time, there is at least 1 deep ball that is completed. I can't even do that in Madden. I don't even throw deep often. Only time I really do is if the cpu brings the safeties up and I'll hot route Terry Glenn on a streak. He'll beat the DB but the super DB jump 10 feet in the air and swat the ball down.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »