Home

D.B.'s with eyes in the back of thier heads??

This is a discussion on D.B.'s with eyes in the back of thier heads?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: D.B.'s with eyes in the back of thier heads??

Despite being slightly unrealistic that the player knows when to bat down the ball, this has made the game far better, because airing it out play after play just isn't an option.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:11 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 10

It's not a bug, you just need to step your passing game up.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:38 AM   #11
Rookie

tuch94's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty1
ok now it all makes sense, seems like everytime i throw a pass, are all of a sudden there are like 5 guys around it. So i started watching the replays to see wtf is going on. Here is a example, and it happens all the time

Got like 4 guys going out for passes. the guy i'm going to throw to is running a post across the middle (duh). I had 2 guys on my right running deep curls. there were 2 db's defending the recievers running the curls, with there backs turned twards the qb, as soon as the ball is released they "magically" turn around and break on the ball. this is why there seems to be defenders everywhere. I even tried looking off but no dice. as soon as the ball leaves the hand of the qb, the db's and lb's, no matter what way there are turned break on the ball. is is this a bug, can the awareness slider fix this. seems like a big deal to me, anyone else notice this ? Does this post make sense??

matt

This happens to me way too often, I dont understand this and it makes it much more harder to complete passes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

NCAA 2006 is the first game I have seen that didn't have this problem. All Madden and 2K football games that I have played have this thing where as soon as the ball is released they like to swarm to where it is going, meaning there are like 4 defenders in some cases by the time the ball gets there. Maybe next gen they will be able to fix it, but in NCAA I thought they did a good job this year. In Madden 2005 I actually realized that the computer defenders would respond to my button inputs. I was playing as the Steelers and came out in a bunch formation. I read the defense pre-snap, saw they were in what looked like man to man with a cover 2. I decided that my first defender I would read post snap was the strong safety. If he drifted to the side of the field than I would hit my reciever (Hines Ward) running a drag over the middle in single coverage. If the safety stayed in the middle of the field, I would hit Randle El who was running a corner route in single coverage. Well, I took the snap, watched the safety stay in the middle of the field, looked at Randle El in single coverage, and threw him the ball. By the time the ball got there three defenders were around him to knock it down. I couldn't figure out how I had misread the defense, so I went into instant replay to watch the play unfold. I chuckled to myself as I realized that I hadn't misread the defense. I watched as my QB started the throwing animation. As soon as his arm went back, the DB covering Ward and the safety all turned and sprinted towards Randle El. It was quite apparent they knew I had hit the Y button and that is where the pass was going. I watched it over and over to be sure, and they honestly broke as soon as his right arm flinched. The frustrating thing for me was that they left Ward completely wide open over the middle, yet there was no way to pass to him at that point. I haven't gotten my Madden 2006 yet because it's still in the mail, but hopefully the DB's aren't as psychic as last year.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #13
MVP

warnerwlf98's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
NCAA 2006 is the first game I have seen that didn't have this problem . . .
Believe it or not, I think NCAA is worse than Madden in this respect. I'm not seeing the ball swarming in Madden with the CPU awareness turned way down, along with all the blocking and break blocking sliders.

I've done the same thing with the sliders in NCAA, but it doesn't seem to work. That's why NCAA hasn't been fun for me this year, so I've shelved it for the time being.

-OS Radio Show

(I don't remember who said this but PM me who did say it, and I'll quote him properly)
Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #14
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuch94
This happens to me way too often, I dont understand this and it makes it much more harder to complete passes
Here's the thing. Unlike human defensive backs, the CPU DBs know EXACTLY where you're throwing the ball the second you release it. That's why it appears every receiver has 5 guys covering him because the instant you release the ball, the DBs will break off their coverage and instantly go to where the pass is heading.

I know you've seen those patterns where you thow it 20 yards to the B guy only to see the Y guy 20 yards further downfield with no one on him. But throw it to the Y guy and those same 5 guys are on him.

Yes, the DBs cheat, but how else do you program them? Unlike humans, they don't have to process anything. The best thing I could suggest is to run patterns that literally spread the field with receivers. Running trips or bunch is an awful idea because they don't have far to go after they break off their coverage.

I can accept the fact that they cheat because I understand WHY they cheat, but I wish that EA would at least take away the 8 foot vertical leaps that they have.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #15
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
I can accept the fact that they cheat because I understand WHY they cheat, but I wish that EA would at least take away the 8 foot vertical leaps that they have.

What!?!?

Naw man, you should'nt accept the cheating. Instead, the awarness ratings should actually work. Only possible solution is if EA gave all the players vision cones. The game would look like one big Metal Gear map.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
What!?!?

Naw man, you should'nt accept the cheating. Instead, the awarness ratings should actually work.
Yep...make the ratings actually have PURPOSE.

I hate how the DBs just magically turn around/know where the ball is going to go. Been like this for years and it annoys me. It is basically cheating as real players dont know wtf the ball is thrown and where to when they arent even facing the qb. I always adjust the cpu awareness slider though to help fix it.

Still though, Madden lovers eat this up and call it a challenge rather than flawed cheating programming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »