Home

D.B.'s with eyes in the back of thier heads??

This is a discussion on D.B.'s with eyes in the back of thier heads?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #17
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: D.B.'s with eyes in the back of thier heads??

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
Yep...make the ratings actually have PURPOSE.

I hate how the DBs just magically turn around/know where the ball is going to go. Been like this for years and it annoys me. It is basically cheating as real players dont know wtf the ball is thrown and where to when they arent even facing the qb. I always adjust the cpu awareness slider though to help fix it.

Still though, Madden lovers eat this up and call it a challenge rather than flawed cheating programming.

I know most if not all games involve some form of cheating but in order for Madden to stay competitive, they resort to some cheesy gameplay coding. How the cpu knows exactly what audible you pick. How they seem to shift the line exactly to the side you're running to if you pick the same play twice. How they know what bottons you press while running, passing and playing D. How they program a big run by pancaking every guy on the field....it goes on and on.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS-One
I know from experience that this is realistic.

When you're defending a man and you're not watching the QB you're always watching his eyes, as soon as he looks towards the QB you know the pass was thrown so you look back too.

I thought the DB's always watch the QB's eyes ??? Isnt that the reason there is a giant flashlight on the field now ???
Minnesota Wild
Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
Yes, the DBs cheat, but how else do you program them? Unlike humans, they don't have to process anything.
Yeah, but you should be able to easily simulate them processing something by adding in a split second delay on when they break for the ball. Tie it into the awareness rating so that a player with high awareness has a shorter delay... but a delay nonetheless.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #20
MVP

warnerwlf98's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Here's the thing. Unlike human defensive backs, the CPU DBs know EXACTLY where you're throwing the ball the second you release it. That's why it appears every receiver has 5 guys covering him because the instant you release the ball, the DBs will break off their coverage and instantly go to where the pass is heading.

I know you've seen those patterns where you thow it 20 yards to the B guy only to see the Y guy 20 yards further downfield with no one on him. But throw it to the Y guy and those same 5 guys are on him.

Yes, the DBs cheat, but how else do you program them? Unlike humans, they don't have to process anything. The best thing I could suggest is to run patterns that literally spread the field with receivers. Running trips or bunch is an awful idea because they don't have far to go after they break off their coverage.

I can accept the fact that they cheat because I understand WHY they cheat, but I wish that EA would at least take away the 8 foot vertical leaps that they have.
Yes, the DBs must know where the ball is thrown, but they must use this information a set time after the ball is thrown. This is so that they can only realisitically change their momentum to go after the ball. It can be programmed in this way, but implementations can be tricky because of how complex the actual code is.

EDIT - I guess someone beat me to it.

-OS Radio Show

(I don't remember who said this but PM me who did say it, and I'll quote him properly)
Old 08-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #21
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
Yep...make the ratings actually have PURPOSE.

I hate how the DBs just magically turn around/know where the ball is going to go. Been like this for years and it annoys me. It is basically cheating as real players dont know wtf the ball is thrown and where to when they arent even facing the qb. I always adjust the cpu awareness slider though to help fix it.

Still though, Madden lovers eat this up and call it a challenge rather than flawed cheating programming.
Well, what would you rather have, a challenge or would you rather go 25-27 for 400 yards every game? I would think that EA is well aware that the DBs cheat and for whatever reason, they simply can't balance it any further without making passing too easy.

The cheating DBs do bother me, but what bothers me more is having my 96 speed cornerback getting run down from behind by a 91 speed receiver on an INT return which happened last night.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2005, 11:32 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
I thought the DB's always watch the QB's eyes ??? Isnt that the reason there is a giant flashlight on the field now ???
If you are in strict zone coverage, you can watch the qb's eyes. If you are in man, you watch your man or get burned.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #23
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Well, what would you rather have, a challenge or would you rather go 25-27 for 400 yards every game? I would think that EA is well aware that the DBs cheat and for whatever reason, they simply can't balance it any further without making passing too easy.

The cheating DBs do bother me, but what bothers me more is having my 96 speed cornerback getting run down from behind by a 91 speed receiver on an INT return which happened last night.

In 2004, when Madden added the offensive playmaker features, the game became a score-fest. To combat this, EA not only added a few defenisve tools in 2005, they also tweaked the DBs to jump 50 feet in the air to kill the money plays and thats what they consider realism. The point is that EA fixes a problem by tweaking with the core engine. Instead, they should of slightly modified the ratings system and then we would'nt be seeing 15 inch verticles and DBs who swarm to the ball at lighting speed. Pretty typical of them if you ask me. I understand you want a challenge but the challenge should be in the player ratings and team ratings instead of knowing that all DBs play like gods.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #24
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerwlf98

I've done the same thing with the sliders in NCAA, but it doesn't seem to work. That's why NCAA hasn't been fun for me this year, so I've shelved it for the time being.
In NCAA if you put awr. and knockdowns at 40%, it's alot easier.

Raise it as you get better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »