Home

done with the passing cone?

This is a discussion on done with the passing cone? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #169
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: done with the passing cone?

I myself am enjoying the passing cone, GREATLY

If you learn to take advantage of it, you can do some awesome thigns with it. Most importantly, you can use it to draw safety's to one side of the field, and hit your open man on the other. This is what a real QB does. He knows someone is open, he'll lock onto a man, let the safety read it, and then throw it in the totally different direction.

Also, I don't see why exactly you guys move the passing cone from one receiver, to the next, to the next. I leave mine in the open, or lock on to one man at the hike, and then I just check the receivers with my eyes, not the passing cone. When you see the open man, just switch to him and boom, your done. The passing cone just adds the realism in that you can't be looking to the left of the field, fading away, and complete a 30 yard slant on the right.

I don't htink I'm that great of a player, but I'm loving the passing cone. I find myself getting realisitc sack statistics all the time. I've gone games with the Packers when they'll only allow one sack a game (which is right), and games with the bears where I get sacked a ton (which is right). You just need to learn to make your checks with your eyes, then lock on to receiver when you see the open man.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:37 PM   #170
Banned

Samantha's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
What exactly are you talking about ? The concensus in this thread is that after becoming used to the flashlight its a non issue. It adds nothing but an extra button push once you get the hang of it. I dont think anyone is having troubles with the cone anymore. That goes for 2kers and maddenites. Frankly if youve had this game for more than 3 weeks and the cone means anything to you i would be surprised.

And regarding your praise of precision passing. Welcome to 4 years ago for old school 2kers. There was nothing to get used to there. Weve had precision passing for years dude.
Oh man, it adds everything to the passing game!!!! This "it adds nothing" is completely wrong!!! It's the quarterback's eyes! I got two guys going deep, once safety providing deep help. I look one direction, the safety leans that way, then I turn and pop it the other way in one on one coverage. I'm telling you, this is a feature that MUST stay for years to come. I play guys online all the time, that have no idea how to look off a defense. they stare down one guy, I use my safety or MLB and get in their vision, and they don't know what to do. I however, very rarely ever lock onto my option at first. If I'm going to the slot guy, I will lock on the Z receiver first, the change over to the slot. The cone adds EVERYTHING to the passing game!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #171
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha
Oh man, it adds everything to the passing game!!!! This "it adds nothing" is completely wrong!!! It's the quarterback's eyes! I got two guys going deep, once safety providing deep help. I look one direction, the safety leans that way, then I turn and pop it the other way in one on one coverage. I'm telling you, this is a feature that MUST stay for years to come. I play guys online all the time, that have no idea how to look off a defense. they stare down one guy, I use my safety or MLB and get in their vision, and they don't know what to do. I however, very rarely ever lock onto my option at first. If I'm going to the slot guy, I will lock on the Z receiver first, the change over to the slot. The cone adds EVERYTHING to the passing game!
You have finger skills. I understand the concept but the execution is clunky. I am still working on it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #172
Banned

I was just watching NFL playbook on the nfl network and Sharpe was breaking down these pass plays. He used a passing cone to show the vision of the qb and how McNabb was looking off dbs. Maybe, I go back to practice mode lil more.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 AM   #173
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

The only problem I have with the Cone is the CPU.

I have began playing with the Cone feature Off for the CPU. It might be crazy but they seem to play much better without the CONE. I don't mind using it myself because I make my reads and get rid of the ball quick but the CPU was trying to do too much or nothing at all which led to dumb plays.

So, I turned it OFF and they play much better. They get rid of the ball quicker and it doesn't boost up their accuracy or anything.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #174
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
You have finger skills. I understand the concept but the execution is clunky. I am still working on it.
I agree. Quarterbacking is a fluid activity. Pressing the R trigger and B at the same time certainly is not. But I love the concept.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #175
Banned

Samantha's Arena

OVR: 8

As far as pressing the buttons, I have zero problem with any button combination...except, on the PS2, the R2 - R1 combination. That is a tough one for me. Usually, I set the cone on him first, so if he's open, I can hit him easily, if I have to change to R1, it's gonna take an extra second.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #176
Banned

I just want to thank the guys here for telling us to keep at the vision cone. I just had one of my best cyber football games in years. Qb rating at 88 but my completion was just over 50%.

To me protection is the key. I think EA should get credit for this feature.

Peace

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »