Home

done with the passing cone?

This is a discussion on done with the passing cone? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #41
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: done with the passing cone?

I turned it off late in a franchise game yesterday, where I was getting blown out by the Saints. It did feel like the "handcuffs" were off, which was nice. I still made bad throws by not properly reading the defense, so I don't feel like I'm cheating by not using it. I'm going to try my next game without the cone and see if I want to keep it that way.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
I am continuing to use it with not much success. I have 14 tds and 18 ints. 70 sacks against and a 48% completion with Aaron Rogers. But...except for the completion % and sacks my numbers are about right.

I use the R twice method. I will lock on a guy before the snap if i see a blitz or maybe man to man. If i need a big play i will always have the cone set to a different receiver than i want to throw to. i will then use the R 2 times method. I have two problems with the cone. 1). my main problem is that i continually hold the R trigger down and end up pump faking. 2). the white and black buttons are a joke. too small and i can never remember which one.

all in all i need more practice. but i like the idea. i don't want to have 28 TDs with rogers.
I personally love the flashlight, but I can understand how some are having difficulty using it and may not like it. Basically it has made it difficult to make more than one check down against any kind of pass rush, since you can't really run around to buy time and still stay accurate with your passing. This fits the way that I play anyway, but is a huge divergence from the way you have been able to play Madden in the past.

All I will say to you is...take what the defense gives you. IMO it is much harder to complete the long bomb this season, and if you want to keep your passing percentage up you really need to find the receiver with the best matchup before the snap and run an offense that features shorter passes.

After screwing around in practice and quick game modes for the past week I finally started my franchise the other day. I had middling success during the preseason, completing about 55% of my passes and tossing as many INT's as I did TD's. I feel like I have a better feel for the passing game now however, and in week one completed 23-30 for 276 and 4 TD's with McNabb....unfortunately in the process I think I found my new 'money' play...hopefully it was just the Falcons who couldn't stop it.

Anyway, I personally prefer the new system with the extra button push. I haven't done anything to the sliders and I like the way it plays on All Pro. I don't use the Right Stick however, because I find that to be a much clunkier interface than the button push....good luck to those still trying to use it, I do think proper use of the system makes you a better player in the long run.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 4

The last 3 posts on the previous page say it all really. The feature is nice, but the way it's implemented is too clunky. "Virtual Rex Grossman" should only have to deal with his own limitations, and not those PLUS the ones of an impaired user.

Like Bigtiggalsu said:

"... some folks just aren't good button pressers, and dislike the extra buttons being thrown in this year."

Hopefully EA will tweak the implementation of this good idea.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 AM   #44
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
Uhhh
just because a feature is difficult doesn't mean that it is "SIM". Playing without it on doesn't constitute a cheeser.
If you want to get technical with it, I'm sure a real qb doesn't have problems swiveling his eyes to lock onto a WR.
I understand that it's suppose to be simulating awareness,quickness,etc. But as it is now, it's more of a twitch skill than a "read the defense" skill. It's clunkiness rewards guys who play the newest mortal kombat than playing a football game.
I agree wholeheartedly. While I certainly like the idea of EA's attempt at innovation, there's just too much extra stuff to do before throwing a pass. As much as I don't like the cone, I forced myself to try and learn how to use it. After 4 preseason and 4 regular season games, my qb rating with Bledsoe is 4. No kidding...4. I am averaging 44 yards per game passing. Oddly enough, I am 3-1 without being able to pass.

I think just the fear of using the cone, the fear of knowing you're going to get sacked, and the complication of the controls now required to complete a pass all contribute to my not being able to pass. Sometimes I fear getting sacked so much that I throw the ball way to early and throw a pick. Then when I convince myself to wait as long as I can and let the play develop, I get sacked.

I know I'm not speaking for everyone, but all I wanted out of Madden was to get the game, play a couple of exhibition games, and then start my franchise. I've done this every year since the first Madden. Over the years, EA has added a few new features such as the hit stick, playmaker controls, and we no longer have to press a button to bring up the passing icons. All of these changes were good for the game, but certainly didn't require you to re-learn how you play the game or severely alter how you play it.

I don't know how long anyone expects you to learn how to use the cone, but I don't buy sports games to practice or work at them. I'm going to try a few more games with the cone, but I don't have high hopes for my progress. As much as I hate losing the precision passing feature, if my passing doesn't improve soon I am going to have to abandon the cone for good.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #45
Rookie

madmastermind's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
What the point I think some of you (not all but some) may be missing though is that Sim-like features will hardly ever be popular with the general population..although I do agree the cone could be integrated better.

This may all be a useless discussion anyways, Gamespot said the cone will not be in the next-Gen Madden.
Could you provide a link to Gamespot stating this...I could not find that which you are talking about. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #46
Rookie

madmastermind's Arena

OVR: 2

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/257371.asp THE CONE WILL BE ON THE 360
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 PM   #47
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
I agree wholeheartedly. While I certainly like the idea of EA's attempt at innovation, there's just too much extra stuff to do before throwing a pass. As much as I don't like the cone, I forced myself to try and learn how to use it. After 4 preseason and 4 regular season games, my qb rating with Bledsoe is 4. No kidding...4. I am averaging 44 yards per game passing. Oddly enough, I am 3-1 without being able to pass.

I think just the fear of using the cone, the fear of knowing you're going to get sacked, and the complication of the controls now required to complete a pass all contribute to my not being able to pass. Sometimes I fear getting sacked so much that I throw the ball way to early and throw a pick. Then when I convince myself to wait as long as I can and let the play develop, I get sacked.

I know I'm not speaking for everyone, but all I wanted out of Madden was to get the game, play a couple of exhibition games, and then start my franchise. I've done this every year since the first Madden. Over the years, EA has added a few new features such as the hit stick, playmaker controls, and we no longer have to press a button to bring up the passing icons. All of these changes were good for the game, but certainly didn't require you to re-learn how you play the game or severely alter how you play it.

I don't know how long anyone expects you to learn how to use the cone, but I don't buy sports games to practice or work at them. I'm going to try a few more games with the cone, but I don't have high hopes for my progress. As much as I hate losing the precision passing feature, if my passing doesn't improve soon I am going to have to abandon the cone for good.
Yeah, I feel your pain b/c this year I have NOT started a franchise either, and that is usually the 1st thing I do. I get so frustrated b/c I always end up pump faking it and that extra half second allows the D to sack me and I lost that split opening that my reciver had. The feature was a great idea, but I'm just not a joystick jockey so its been a slow learning curve for me. I may throw 280 yards but 2 TD and 3 Ints no matter which QB I seem to use. Even with Tom Brady, I still am too slow at making all my button presses.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
What the point I think some of you (not all but some) may be missing though is that Sim-like features will hardly ever be popular with the general population..although I do agree the cone could be integrated better.

This may all be a useless discussion anyways, Gamespot said the cone will not be in the next-Gen Madden.
I was wrong!! yay! i'm glad. on ebgames and gamestop now they show the new xbox 360 game and it does have the passing cone!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »