Home

Cone Passing

This is a discussion on Cone Passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34
Cone Passing

I am hearing many complaints about this feature ie that its clunky it gives away our target poorly implemented etc....

I was wondering how could be done differently that would still allow for the simulation of a QB's ability to read a coverage.

I came up with a few ideas was wondering what you guys thought of it....

1. Keep the system lose the Flashlight... Find another way to determine a QB's field of vision.

2. Automatic QB wr progression based on QB awareness ability. On every play there is a set progression from the primary to the secondary and to the third option etc... The user has the ability to over ride the progression by throwing to a hot route or dump of or manually going to a WR they see open. It takes away some of the extra button pressing.

Here is an example on how it would work using super cone Payton MAnning....

The play is a post route to Marvin Harrison on this play Reggie wayne is the 2nd option Stokely the third and Edge the 4th. At the line of scrimmage (after scanning the defense) you can assign a new primary a hot route WR and a dump off.(dump offs would only be allowed for routes designed in to go in the flat) You pick Stokley running a streak as the hot route and Edge as the dump off. Once the ball is hiked MAnning will begin his auto read of the field starting with primary Harrison but his field of vision will still allow for a accurate throw to any one in his cone's view. If you dont throw to Harrison in the "right" amount of time then Manning automatically go to WR number two Reggie Wayne. But you the user see Stokely open against a Linebacker hit the hot route button and throw the streak accurately as the cone automatically moves to his area upon throwing the ball.

This might sound complicated but its not really... Its the system we have now with a tweak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Cone Passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiggalsu
I am hearing many complaints about this feature ie that its clunky it gives away our target poorly implemented etc....

I was wondering how could be done differently that would still allow for the simulation of a QB's ability to read a coverage.

I came up with a few ideas was wondering what you guys thought of it....

1. Keep the system lose the Flashlight... Find another way to determine a QB's field of vision.

2. Automatic QB wr progression based on QB awareness ability. On every play there is a set progression from the primary to the secondary and to the third option etc... The user has the ability to over ride the progression by throwing to a hot route or dump of or manually going to a WR they see open. It takes away some of the extra button pressing.

Here is an example on how it would work using super cone Payton MAnning....

The play is a post route to Marvin Harrison on this play Reggie wayne is the 2nd option Stokely the third and Edge the 4th. At the line of scrimmage (after scanning the defense) you can assign a new primary a hot route WR and a dump off.(dump offs would only be allowed for routes designed in to go in the flat) You pick Stokley running a streak as the hot route and Edge as the dump off. Once the ball is hiked MAnning will begin his auto read of the field starting with primary Harrison but his field of vision will still allow for a accurate throw to any one in his cone's view. If you dont throw to Harrison in the "right" amount of time then Manning automatically go to WR number two Reggie Wayne. But you the user see Stokely open against a Linebacker hit the hot route button and throw the streak accurately as the cone automatically moves to his area upon throwing the ball.

This might sound complicated but its not really... Its the system we have now with a tweak.

The system definitely needs work. Here's an idea proposed by EvilSonGoku that I like. This is my take on it...

Instead of being able to sweep the field with the cone using the right analog stick, the cone would be facing your primary receiver at the snap (as it does now) but moving the right analog stick would "lock on" to the next reciever. So say you're running quads (2 left and 2 right) with the primary receiver to the far left. You snap the ball; the cone is on the primary receiver, far left. When you move the right thumbstick to the right it would "lock into position" on the next receiver, instead you having to "sweep it into position" like you do now. Players like Ramsey would still have their proper limitations because they'd more than likely still only have one guy within the cone at any given time, whereas Peyton Manning types would still have multiple ones in there. The ability to "oversweep the cone" would be eliminated. That's the problem with guys with narrow cones.

Also, Steelaz1966 and I kinda worked this out on the ESPN thread. This is what I'd like to see (hopefully in an ESPN game, but I'll play the best game, regardless. )

It gets rid of actually seeing a cone(flashlight, lol.):

Basically it calls for additional animations. Visually, you'd actually see the QB turning and setting up to throw to whatever receiver. All receiver icons are grayed out (like a watermark) except the primary receiver who you start off "locked" on. His icon is bold. If you want to pass to the "watermark" receiver, then you hit the button once to "turn and set up" (now HIS icon is bold) and again to throw it. You would need to do this equally with all QB's, the difference being that QB's with high Awareness will physically "turn and set up" quicker. Basically I just want there to be a delay in going from primary to secondary receiver.

This way, you couldn't "master" the system by becoming adept at button presses. Again, like the above idea, you'd only be hampered by your virtual QB's limitations, not your lack of button mashing skills.

Last edited by gooberstabone; 08-19-2005 at 10:07 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »