Home

Madden NFL 06 Review (Xbox)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 06 Review (Xbox) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #17
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Madden NFL 06 Review (Xbox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
BTW Clay, the expression is "champing at the bit" not "chomping." Common mistake.
Partially true... "champing" is a 14th century term that evolved over time into "chomping". "Champing" was used exclusively for a horse the behaved excitedly in anticipation. However, the action that it was describing was actually what derived into the word "chomping".

This discussion has been kicked around for 100 years and a close friend of mine even wrote a thesis on it in college. Most English, Communications, and Language Professors will tell you that either way is proper and acceptable.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Old 08-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #18
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
I like that post Graphik. When I read the next to the last sentence, I thought I heard the "Imperial March" (Vader's theme) playing in the background, lol.

BTW Clay, the expression is "champing at the bit" not "chomping." Common mistake.

"PERHAPS YOU FEEL YOU ARE BEING TREATED UNFAIRLY?"

Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #19
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
Partially true... "champing" is a 14th century term that evolved over time into "chomping". "Champing" was used exclusively for a horse the behaved excitedly in anticipation. However, the action that it was describing was actually what derived into the word "chomping".

This discussion has been kicked around for 100 years and a close friend of mine even wrote a thesis on it in college. Most English, Communications, and Language Professors will tell you that either way is proper and acceptable.

You must of stayed at a Holiday Inn yesterday.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #20
Legend

Shaver's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
You must of stayed at a Holiday Inn yesterday.
No, just have a friend that has a Cliff Clavin streak in him that always drops nuggets like this on me.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Old 08-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
No, just have a friend that has a Cliff Clavin streak in him that always drops nuggets like this on me.

Haha!

Oh, and Coogrfan... Great... picture!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Haha!

Oh, and Coogrfan... Great... picture!

Great picture and great review!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
On the flipside, the extreme anti-"Madden" element had their collective mind made up earlier this year. When EA Sports, or as they like to think of them - the devil - made the commitment to spend $400 million dollars over the next five years for exclusive rights to the NFL, you could almost hear the collective groan across the web. And, just for good measure, they locked up ESPN for 15 years for a mere $800 million. They were scared! They heard footsteps! They just did this to eliminate the competition!

Ummmm….DUH!!!

I’m no Donald Trump, but I’m pretty sure that crippling the competition is taught in Business 101 at most community colleges across this great land. If you and I both own a home improvement business and I purchase the exclusive rights to paint, I would say I made a sound business decision. Sure, you can still stay in business, but you can’t use any paint. Wallpaper, laminate, pressboard, that’s fine, but paint is mine. And, just for good measure, I’m also going to procure the exclusive rights to the color blue as well.

EA advertises they have the BEST football game available on any system, makes millions each year on the game and then spends 1.2billion to get rid of the competition ?

Why not keep the 1.2 Billion and put it towards making a game that has no peer instead of buying a monopoly to eliminate others from making a game that has no peer ?

I think They did a good job on their game this year. There was no NEED for a exclusive license. I can only wonder what we have and will miss from VC as a result of this.

Your review was cool and all, I just did not agree with this part of it.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
EA advertises they have the BEST football game available on any system, makes millions each year on the game and then spends 1.2billion to get rid of the competition ?

Why not keep the 1.2 Billion and put it towards making a game that has no peer instead of buying a monopoly to eliminate others from making a game that has no peer ?

I think They did a good job on their game this year. There was no NEED for a exclusive license. I can only wonder what we have and will miss from VC as a result of this.

Your review was cool and all, I just did not agree with this part of it.

I see your point. If it already has no peer, why the spend all that money to buy a license. I'll answer my own question. To KEEP it without peer. But personally I'd like to see that done through innovation and gameplay, not exclusivity. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth for EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »