Home

Anyone else getting torched by the AI in 4th quarters?

This is a discussion on Anyone else getting torched by the AI in 4th quarters? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Anyone else getting torched by the AI in 4th quarters?

I did notice that in the 4th quarter the CPU tend to catch the ball better (playing on all-madden). I countered this by not biltzing at all rather, I defend the pass. My only problem with the game is that the CPU tend to intercept the ball more on this difficulty.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #18
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Same, im sure its there still..but so far doesnt seem as bad as in years past.

Its defitnitely not as bad as it was in the past. Coming from me, that means alot. (In my own little world of course)

In years past, it seemed as if every other game was ruined by 4th quater herorics. 3 Fumbles, 2 in the same drive.... 3 Picks, 1 caught by a DT and ran back for a TD.....kickoff returns ran back......highlight reel type drives......not that it does'nt happen in real football but it was often predictable in Madden. This year, its still there but it does'nt happen as often. I've seen some low scoring affairs as well as some straight defensive battles. Then out of the blue comes the 42-35 romp, with 28 or more points coming all in the 4th.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 PM   #19
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericLogin
there's a difference between teams playing harder, and the computer cheating. EA is notorious for this.

NHL series: computer is down in the 3rd - suddenly they score as many goals as they need within a couple of shots and take the lead (example, CPU down 5-1 in the 3rd - within 7 shots from the blue line they lead 6-5)

NBA series: computer just goes on unstopable scoring streaks in the 4th

NFL series: in the 4th the computer can make any pass it wants, and break any tackle it wants to score as many points as it needs

The reason I don't even try these games anymore is because of this. Whether they play well or not, I'm sick of playing games where the computer cheats its way to a win in the last quarter/period.
I hear ya brotha. You're preaching to the choir. But, there is a solution:

Play on Pro and you WILL NOT have this issue. What you will see there is what you should see, the CPU playing harder and more desperately, but you will not see a cheat.

If you're looking for sliders, I've posted mine in the slider thread and I'm about to post a final set.

Stop... before you respond, please just try this. I'm trying to help.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 12

still there. I have to do everything ultra conservative. All fair catches. run outta bounds so I don't fumble. don't touch the truck stick, stiff arm or juke. Run and cover the ball. I just do nothing "extra". Use my safest plays because if I don't.....comeback time!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #21
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

How many times have you guys come back against the computer in the 4th quarter?

Is it because there is some algorithm built in to reduce the AI effectiveness late in the game? Probably not. Your playing style changes. You become more agressive in your playcalling. I think that Madden AI attempts to emulate this.

It is not cheating if it is played within the contraints and rules of the game. The CPU does not get 5 downs in the 4th quarter or 12 men vs your 11. How can it be called cheating? Maybe I am misunderstanding what is meant by 'cheating' in this context.

If you are winning by 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter and you thow an interception, that is your fault. Why are you throwing at all if you are up by so much in the 4th quarter? Increasing the probability for a turnover to happen directly by your actions is not a problem with any code or an AI exploit.

CPU teams that are losing do comeback in the 4th quarter. Dont tell me that the always do becuase if they did, we all would be a big o'fer.

So, if the AI never came back in the 4th quarter, whats the point of playing the 4th quarter?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2005, 06:59 PM   #22
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I've been getting torched in the 4th quarter.

I've actually got results here:

Week 1: Won 31-17, no 4th quarter scoring for CPU.
Week 2: Lost 38-17, 7 points for CPU in the 4th quarter.
Week 3: Lost 28-24, 21 points for the CPU in the 4th quarter (compared to my 7 pts).
Week 4: Won 27-17, no 4th quarter scoring for CPU.
Week 5: Lost 24-21, 7 points for CPU in the 4th quarter.
Week 6: Won 24-17, 7 points for the CPU in the 4th quarter.

Meh, besides that Week 3 game against ATL, I haven't had much problem. But if you dig down deeper, you'll see that the CPU has been able to complete miracle bombs in the 4th quarter. In the ATL game I went up by 3 points, then they magically threw a 77 yard strike to Roddy White. In my most recent win (Week 6), the Jets come out and Justin McCareins catches a 74 yard pass that only a Troy Vincent diving stop can keep from being a touchdown.

I play on All-Pro and I think it's still in there. And it's not "aggressive playcalling," because teams don't magically get better (or worse, in your defense's case) in the 4th quarter as frequently as in the EA games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

The best way to stop the CPU is just blitzing a lot. Put a lot of pressure on the qb.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 PM   #24
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddst34
How many times have you guys come back against the computer in the 4th quarter?
Actually, the comeback that really turned me off to Madden was one where I had come back (this was on '03). I had problems moving the ball all game, made a bunch of bad decisions and deserved to be losing 27-3 half way through the 4th. Then all of a sudden I get a gift KO return for TD.....I didn't do anything spectacular, I just had a huge hole to run straight through. Then a 3 and out and a charity Punt return for TD. Sucessful onside kick and all of a sudden I am completing the same passes that I wasn't for the 1st 3 quarters.....TD. Now it is 27-25. Utlimately I missed a 50 year FG attempt that would have won it. The comeback should have been thrilling, but it just felt scripted and cheesey.

And yeah, I have been on the receiving end as well. I am not saying I don't want to see the CPU get aggressive when they are losing, or never comeback. But repeatedly calling a good play and watching the CPU complete passes into triple coverage is very aggrevating. Not to mention the fumbles on conservative runs.

The have so many settings and sliders that I can customize a perfect game for my skill level...why do they change the game in the 4th?

Glad to hear things have improved this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »