Home

Waiting on the Center To make calls

This is a discussion on Waiting on the Center To make calls within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #25
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Waiting on the Center To make calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha
It's just an animation. The player ratings determine how well they will block. Player X's ratings are not 85 run block, or 92 if you wait til the center calls out the assignments. An animation, that's all.
No offense but you make this statement as if you know something we don't. Now, I personally don't know if this animation results in some sort of Pass Block Ratings Boost or not, but I do wonder about those who make strong statements like yours without evidence to support it.

Who did you talk to at EA to confirm that it is just an animation which has no other effect?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2005, 04:20 PM   #26
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Who did you talk to at EA to confirm that it is just an animation which has no other effect?

Thats a good idea. Maybe someone should contact a dev at EA and ask him since it is'nt mentioned anywhere else officially.

EA rep: Hey Doug, somebody just e-mailed me asking me if waiting for the center to call out blitzes actually boost the offensive linemans ratings? Does it?

Doug from EA: Ummmm....I dont know......wait.....tell em yes?!? They'll believe it. Wait......no, go ahead.

Just a little humor, dont kill me. Seriously, I think if anyone wants this answered, the devs may be able to help you out. I've seen this animation alot but I have'nt notice it do anything. Its a conspiracy!!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #27
MVP

slthree's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Thats a good idea. Maybe someone should contact a dev at EA and ask him since it is'nt mentioned anywhere else officially.
Actually, you bring up a good point. EA certainly benefits from certain sites reviewing their games early and providing early videos. Those videos and reviews generate buzz, be it positive or negative. That buzz sells more games.

So, why can't EA work with those sites to answer questions and dispell rumors and honestly talk about the issues that their consumers have?

I don't have an affinity for EA nor do I hate them but I sure would like to see them respond to certain thins so we're not left wondering.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #28
MVP

slthree's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Actually, you bring up a good point. EA certainly benefits from certain sites reviewing their games early and providing early videos. Those videos and reviews generate buzz, be it positive or negative. That buzz sells more games.

So, why can't EA work with those sites to answer questions and dispell rumors and honestly talk about the issues that their consumers have?

I don't have an affinity for EA nor do I hate them but I sure would like to see them respond to certain things so we're not left wondering.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #29
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogunwo
You missed his point. He was saying that because he was more patient, that gave him more time to read what the defense is doing, strategy for the play, and playing mind games with the other person in a two player game. He is stating that his patience may be the reason for better performance, not necessarily the animations. The idea of the "better blitz pickup" is just the catalyst to the process.
Thank you for pointing that out to the "Mr. Smarty Pants". Obviously he didn't pick up what I was trying to say.

As I said before, I used to go up to the line, zoom out to check the routes, and snap the ball. I was an impatient gamer. It was during this time that what I was essentially doing was playing unrealistic football. In the real world of football, the offensive line has a standard way of blocking according to the design of the play but it is up to the center (this is the reason why he is the center and not some other position on the line) to recognize stunts, blitzes, etc... Therefore, he must point out the assignments. Now, I am one person that would love to believe that EA actually programmed the "assignment point" to actually be real but I am not what to believe that the offensive line is given a ratings boost. The center can point all day but the other offensive linemen are given an "AWR" rating for a reason. The awareness rating depicts how well they know their assignment whereas the run block and pass block rating depicts how well they actually block when they engage.

So even if the animation does not actually do anything regarding the actual gameplay, it does force me to be more patient and learn to read the defenses.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:56 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Animal
Thank you for pointing that out to the "Mr. Smarty Pants". Obviously he didn't pick up what I was trying to say.

As I said before, I used to go up to the line, zoom out to check the routes, and snap the ball. I was an impatient gamer. It was during this time that what I was essentially doing was playing unrealistic football. In the real world of football, the offensive line has a standard way of blocking according to the design of the play but it is up to the center (this is the reason why he is the center and not some other position on the line) to recognize stunts, blitzes, etc... Therefore, he must point out the assignments. Now, I am one person that would love to believe that EA actually programmed the "assignment point" to actually be real but I am not what to believe that the offensive line is given a ratings boost. The center can point all day but the other offensive linemen are given an "AWR" rating for a reason. The awareness rating depicts how well they know their assignment whereas the run block and pass block rating depicts how well they actually block when they engage.

So even if the animation does not actually do anything regarding the actual gameplay, it does force me to be more patient and learn to read the defenses.
You are exactly right. Patience is key. What annoys me is that although no one claims that this is a perfect game, there are those that prefer to discredit every single thing about the game, instead of celebrating what is good about the game. I hate it when I read of some peoples impression of the game about how the QBs are so accurate when u target a player, no matter their accuracy rating. This simply isnt true. What most people forget that most QBs in the league are similar in talent, its their awareness that is most different. In the game, QBs with low awareness are pretty inaccurate.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger13
The spin move and stiff arm are also animations which EA put into the game, but they seem to have an effect on gamplay........
and your point? Thats after the ball is snaped of course that does something. Does pumping up the crowd or the Linebackers pointing out things do stuff as well? No
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #32
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

bump

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »