Home

Defensive Plays

This is a discussion on Defensive Plays within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Question Defensive Plays

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I can't find a post about it. I'm wondering if you guys use any different type of defensive plays this year? I'm playing the Cowboys, so either I suck at the 3-4, EA sucks at implementing the 3-4, or the Cowboys defense sucks. (DBs are slow compared to opposing receivers, that's for sure).

Thoughts? Ideas? What kind of defensive plays do you use in what situations that you have good results with?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Defensive Plays

I'll just say I'm not crazy about the 3-4, but sometimes your personnel (more good LBs than good DEF LINEMEN) necessitate it. If that's not the case use another playbook and play a 4-3.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

I use the balanced defensive playbook. Works for me.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 08-24-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've noticed that out of the 3-4 there are many good plays that you can use. Good mixed coverages of safties playing deep lbs playing man and one or two blitzing, an excellent play in LB Attack 3 (i think its called, it drops back 3 guys into a deep zone, drops one lb and one cb in a hook zone, and blitzes 3 lbs. If Bringing 6 doesnt generate heat, well I just don't know what will : )

I found that, if you are using a dynasty, an OLB to replace burnett who just isnt good enough to start just yet ratings wise imo, and an ILB to replace ... O'neil ? Whoever is the other ILB besides dat default. Personally, I traded for kendrell bell and I believe I grabbed Peter Boulware off of waivers, both are HUGE producers and made all the difference. Boulware is a maching at getting those LB sacks, and bell is a monster in the middle vs the run.

If you are instead playing online or something, I might just suggest switching to the 4-3 while playing as the cowboys. No sense in benching jason ferguson to play keith oneil.

Good luck : )

Oh and for what its worth, I don't know if its the boys DB's, the sliders I'm using, or the defenses I'm calling but I've noticed my guys get beat deep about 50/50 when the computer goes there. The worst was letting the seahawks hit two bombs where the wr's were behind my defense when I was playing a Cover3-man out of the Quarter for gods sakes. Makes me wish the game came with something to yell at so I could feel better about them getting it next time.

Last edited by MeSlayer; 08-24-2005 at 04:09 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »