Home

Old 08-25-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
DH7
Rookie

OVR: 1
frustrated

Just a quick rant, so respond however ya want - but... How can EA get some things so right in NCAA, then so wrong in Madden and vice versa?? I put in NCAA today, and loved the responsiveness of the players, as well as the graphics and atmosphere of the game. However, the brutal DB play (bombs away all the time, not reading run plays) just wrecks the game for me, and smaller details like the lousy playbooks, short passing etc. annoy me. Then, I go back to Madden. Madden is great with its need to read the field (cone aside for some) and pick up blitzes and adjust to D, but the player graphics (compared to NCAA) and player responsiveness seem subpar to me, the punt returns suck, etc.(not to mention the game just feels so similar to last year for me) I understand that different development teams do the games, but for the love of God, why do they have to do this to us? Just collaborate for once and rid both games of the stupid bugs! I would settle for only one game if they would just do it right - but i guess maybe thats why they do it - money. I never liked the 2K series, but this monopoly EA has now is going to screw us - competition is healthy!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2005, 03:36 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH7
Just a quick rant, so respond however ya want - but... How can EA get some things so right in NCAA, then so wrong in Madden and vice versa?? I put in NCAA today, and loved the responsiveness of the players, as well as the graphics and atmosphere of the game. However, the brutal DB play (bombs away all the time, not reading run plays) just wrecks the game for me, and smaller details like the lousy playbooks, short passing etc. annoy me. Then, I go back to Madden. Madden is great with its need to read the field (cone aside for some) and pick up blitzes and adjust to D, but the player graphics (compared to NCAA) and player responsiveness seem subpar to me, the punt returns suck, etc.(not to mention the game just feels so similar to last year for me) I understand that different development teams do the games, but for the love of God, why do they have to do this to us? Just collaborate for once and rid both games of the stupid bugs! I would settle for only one game if they would just do it right - but i guess maybe thats why they do it - money. I never liked the 2K series, but this monopoly EA has now is going to screw us - competition is healthy!
Some like NCAA, others like Madden. If they both were the same there would still be people complaining. And what does this have to do with EA's monopoly? There has always been a College Football Game as well as a Pro Football Game, Sega even made both.......

But back on topic, I really don't mind the differences......but personally I like Madden better
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 4

They purposely have 2 seperate teams working on these titles to make them feel different. I know it's annoying, but I guess they don't want you to feel like you are buying the same game 2x but with NCAA or NFL rosters.

Recall when NCAA implemented head tracking and Madden took 2-3 yrs to add it, Madden has Gang tackling and NCAA still does not. it's annoying, but they won't change their stance.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSonGoku
Madden has Gang tackling and NCAA still does not. it's annoying, but they won't change their stance.
I don't want to start anything outside of the theme of the thread but that is false. I saw plenty of gang tackling in NCAA and have seen the same in Madden.
To me the difference in the 2 games are NCAA has the easy long bomb syndrome and Madden has the annoying cone passing. Bottom line is both are still fun to play and beats checkers.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Th* *c*m*n!

ronnyballgame's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaww
Some like NCAA, others like Madden. If they both were the same there would still be people complaining. And what does this have to do with EA's monopoly? There has always been a College Football Game as well as a Pro Football Game, Sega even made both.......

But back on topic, I really don't mind the differences......but personally I like Madden better
I think I know why EA does this, my opinion is that these two games at not the same feel of a game. This is why I felt that the College 2K football feel flat on its face, that it was too simliar to the Pro 2K series. Whereas, Madden and NCAA vary enough, to not feel like the same kind of game. It keeps things fresh, as for me, if NCAA and Madden were simliar, I would be sick of Madden in a few days, coz I would be like, I just played this game for the past month. So I like how NCAA and Madden vary with little differences like this. Tell me whatcha think?
Florida State Seminoles

Rider Broncs- Graduated
LaSalle Explorers- Attaining Master's

Playing: FN4 UFC 2009, Tiger 10
Waiting: NCAA 2010, Madden 10, NHL 10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #6
DH7
Rookie

good points, I didn't really consider some of the things mentioned. However, my point about getting together to fix some of the problems still stands. Why NCAA has to have such broken DB AI is a mystery, especially when its fairly solid in Madden. I recognize that the games need to be and feel different now, but broken AI is inexcusable - any semi-serious football gamer would have noticed how brutal the DB's are in NCAA within a day or two. My idea is that there is some basic engine, without AI flaws etc, that could then be built upon in 2 seperate/unique ways to maintain a difference in feel. Even if the games felt a bit similar, FOR ME, it would beat having to deal with some of the problems in these games that should not exist after all these years (punt returns, DB's, etc, etc). Anyways, those are just some more of my thoughts.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
DH7
Rookie

one more thing... regarding monopolies - my rant was a bit emotional and maybe I should link the monopoly idea to my point. The point about monopolies and EA is that now, they don't have to worry about polishing games and worrying as much about making a terrific football game because they have NO competition. If 989 (well maybe) and the 2K series were still around, it would force EA to really refine and polish there games more, because if their products were uninspired, like this year IMO, they would risk losing money and customers (imagine if 2k6was around and a knockout game?). However, they know that they have lots of gamers who are hardcore fans of football, and need their yearly fix (as well as casual gamers who don't really care about some of the problems I do) - so they don't worry too much about it. I guess if anything, I should put my money where my mouth is and not buy EA if I am that disappointed, but I love football too much.

PS - I have always been an EA Sports guy - I'm not a 2k series fan, never have been, so I am not trying to start a flame war.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Rookie

The only reason I disagree about the reason why the two games are so different is this: both EA and Sega mad Nba and College hoops games which are identical to each other, and we all bought them. I know this is a football thread, but I am just bringing these games up for comparisons sake. I think the two football games should be much more simalr, especially with the button layouts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »