Home

Best way to combat the BLITZ

This is a discussion on Best way to combat the BLITZ within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #17
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Best way to combat the BLITZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmista
I can almost never get a pass off when I try to run a screen pass against the blitz, and if I do get the pass off and complete it to the running back, he is tackled immediately for a loss! How do you make your screens work?
You're right. The screens don't work as is, so I keep my TE and the other RB in to block and roll behind them. It looks ugly, but it works.

And dropping back only 3-5 yards on other pass plays will definitely help, especially when the blitz is coming from the outside. I should've mentioned that.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #18
Banned

Samantha's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
The LBs can't blitz and cover the slant.
I thought the same thing when I first read the original post. Although, what an ultimate defense when you can blitz linebackers and have the linebackers cover the slant too.....ha!

I beg the defense to blitz. Sure, they might get once or twice...maybe even three times....but as I say, live by the blitz, die by the blitz.
Personally, I love blitzing as well....however I like mixing in zone blitzes and man blitzes. And as effective as I am with it, I do get burned at times.
I love calling the inside posts, and short hooks. They seem to be rather effective.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #19
Banned

Samantha's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
Only drop back 3 steps when passing....I have a tendency to run backwards with my QB and getting deeper than the lineman have the ability to block then the DE runs right around my tackle....it takes getting used to back just drop back a couple of steps....
Yea, imagine how hard it is for us to get use to that on a video game....then put yourself in a quarterback's shoes when he has 4 or 5 and sometimes 6 guys wanting to rip his head off every single play.
This of course is excellent advice...Taking the correct drop, and stepping up in the pocket at times is a must to avoid the pass rush and gain that extra second or so to throw the ball at times. You just have to trust your pass protection, and remember that getting sacked isn't the end of the world. Especially if you only take a 4 yard sack as opposed to the 11-15 yard sack I see alot of people take online. I don't think some people ever take their thumb off the down arrow when dropping back. HA!
One tip to knowing how to take the correct drop is to allow the computer to drop back for you, just as they're setting up in the pocket, you can take back control of them, however I do not do this regularly, but it does help in practice mode to get a feel of what drop you should take. Usually you can tell by your primary receiver route...if it's short, you'll probably take a 3, 5 step drop for a medium route, and if it's deep, take a 7.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:29 PM   #20
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
It would be nice if Madden would discern which plays are 3 step drops and which are 5 like 2k5. This would help with playcalling when you suspect a blitz.

Football 101

Slants, quick in and outs are three step drops

curls , crossing routes are five steps

deep routes are seven steps
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #21
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

it was a big help when 2k would drop back for you. If you dont touch the stick, your QB would do his drop. I tried that in NCAA and the QB would pass the ball too, which obviously I dont want. I havent tried this in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

I wish EA would have concentrated on an ESPN halftime show with Chris Berman. The game really needs improved presentation. I could do without the QB Vision. It seems to be more of a novelty than a true game changing attribute.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
it was a big help when 2k would drop back for you. If you dont touch the stick, your QB would do his drop. I tried that in NCAA and the QB would pass the ball too, which obviously I dont want. I havent tried this in Madden.
You can have the QB drop for you in madden without him throwing it by turning Auto Pass off in the settings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »