Home

Trade Advice...please help.

This is a discussion on Trade Advice...please help. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
Rookie

Holla at ya boy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Trade Advice...please help.

trade
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaenuel
I do not know if the rule is the same in the NFL, it might be, but in the NBA is it not possible to sign another team's free agent and then turn around and immediately trade him. You can do sign-and-trades with your own free agents though. It keeps teams from doing exactly what you want to do now. This is not even taking into account that you would also have to be paying Owens' signing bonus after trading him. I say you have to keep him for at least one season.
I'm not sure about that rule, though I understand the logic behind it. I went ahead and traded him for Leinhart and the picks, figuring that it made the most sense for me financially. It looks as though I might take a serious cap penalty for the trade. When I looked closer at it, I would have loved to have been able to trade Charles Rogers, because he is WAY more expensive then what I paid for TO, believe it or not. He's make 7/8.5/10 M per for the next 3 seasons. I can foresee him being a cap casualty at some point if some of my young guys can step up. Unfortunately, his trade value, as an 86 overall, isn't nearly as high as TO's was at 98.

Thanks for all who gave some input.

Last edited by Bloodhound79; 08-30-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:53 PM   #11
Let's Go Mets!!!

Nyrican127's Arena

OVR: 8
Thumbs down Re: Trade Advice...please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound79
But would I compromising a the sense of reality (though, it's not very realistic tha the Lions will go 15-1 this year as they did in my franchise...)?
I think you compromised realtity when you signed Owens in the first place. If you went 15-1 you obviously got good production from your current WR's and QB. Then you want to trade Owens during training camp? Your franchise makes no sense like West Coast rap.
New York Rangers
Florida Gators
Chelsea FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2005, 08:57 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrican127
I think you compromised realtity when you signed Owens in the first place. If you went 15-1 you obviously got good production from your current WR's and QB. Then you want to trade Owens during training camp? Your franchise makes no sense like West Coast rap.
Dang....now you've gone and made this an East Coast/West Coast thing. You shouldn't have done that.

But, you probably have some substance behind your claims regarding "compromised reality". But, in my defense, I had cap room, so I signed the best player on the market in a position, at least according to ratings, was my weakest (no one rated over 88 OVR). And you don't know what TO was putting me through during training camp. We signed him to a deal in the off-season, and then he comes into training camp causing all sorts of problems. He fired Drew Rosenhaus soon after we signed him and hired Scott Boras. Next thing you know he wanted to restructure his deal and was threatening to be a disruptance to team morale. We have a title to defend here. I had to do what was best for the team. It was either this or I was going to have to make an example out of him and Keyshawn him.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

I would have prob went with the picks...
& would've taken a chance in the Draft...
What all this hype bout Leinhart???
Is he that good???
What bout Vince Young out of Texas what draft class is he in???
I prob chance it & try 4 young...
U said Joey has 2 years???
That enuff time to get Young & have him devolop...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by `D-MAC´©®
I would have prob went with the picks...
& would've taken a chance in the Draft...
What all this hype bout Leinhart???
Is he that good???
What bout Vince Young out of Texas what draft class is he in???
I prob chance it & try 4 young...
U said Joey has 2 years???
That enuff time to get Young & have him devolop...
Leinhart was an 83 overall rating out of the draft, and after training camp, I had him at an 86. Pretty good for a rookie. I'm 3 games through preseason (2 simulated), so I'll find out soon how much he's progressed.

I thought of this last night....being a Michigan homer, I should have tried to get Henne out of the draft...but he's still got 2 years left (at least in my NCAA Franchise). Maybe he can be my backup when I trade Joey next year.

Oh yeah...on principal, being a Michigan fan, I can't draft Vince Young....you understand I hope. Plus, I'm predicting him to flop out of the heisman race this year. He's not the best passer in the world, and without Benson in the backfield, it's easier for Defensive Coordinators to plan for Young than in years past. Lloyd Carr would tell you that they created their game plan to stop Benson, and not Young.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
Rookie

OK, it's the next year in my dynasty, an I have another draft day dilemma. I was hoping someone could give some advice.

Here the scenario:
*Joey Harrington has one year left in his contract, at 6.8M. Though in "real-life" he sucks, in the game he is a 93 rated QB, and has put up great numbers. Matt Leinhart is his backup, and is a 88 going into his second year....and will probably be in the low 90's after training camp. I have Leinhart locked up for 5 more years, and he cost around 2.5M this next season.
*Kevin Jones is my RB, and although he sucks in real life, he's a 95 in my dynasty. I have him for 2 more years, at 1.1M and 1.3M
*I have 10 draft picks, none in the 6th or 7th rounds, but my first pick is the last (#32) of the first round.
*the top five players in the draft include Laurence Maroney (RB), Adrian Peterson (RB) and Vince Young.
*I only have 10M in cap room to sign 10 picks.

To re-sign Harrington after this year, it's going to cost an arm and a leg...plus, do I want to do that when I have the younger, cheaper and almost as good Leinhart, on my squad?

I can trade Harrington and get the #1 overall pick. But, to do this, I have to send them a draft pick because I'm maxed out at 10. This would free up about 6M in cap room...but the #1 pick is going to eat that all back up in his contract. In 2 years, Kevin Jones is guaranteed a BIG payraise in 2 seasons (since he's a two-time pro-bowler, rated at a 95, and only making 1.3M per). If I trade Harrington, I can draft Peterson, sign him to a 7 year deal. After one more year, I can trade Kevin Jones for another top draft pick, and I'd have 90+ rated QB/RB in Leinhart and Peterson.

So, I guess my question is: should I trade Harrington to get Peterson, with the plan of splitting time between Peterson/Jones for 1 year, before trading Jones for another #1 pick next year, or should I keep Harrington for one last year, letting his contract expire (and get nothing when I lose him), and just be happy with the picks I've got?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »