Home

Best way to combat the BLITZ

This is a discussion on Best way to combat the BLITZ within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Rookie

Drake's Arena

OVR: 1
Best way to combat the BLITZ

Playing online everyone likes to blitz. Alot.

I know how to use slide protection but when they're rushing 6+ guys, my 5 linemen cant block everyone no matter which way i slide them. There just doesnt seem to be enough time to complete a pass with the cone.

So what are the choices?
- Keep 1 or 2 RBs in to block. That only leaves me with 3 receivers which can be covered by the remaining 5 defenders.

- Send a RB into the flat? that will work i guess as long as its not a defense with DBS in the flat.

- Quick slants? These never seem to work for me, the LBS usually bat them down.

So what do you guys do when you come up againt constant blitzing? im getting sacked 8-10 times a game online. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Best way to combat the BLITZ

Run the ball.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

It also depends who O line you are using.

Pinch them in if they keep sacking you thru the middle out if they blitz you from the sides.

Tip: In the first sentence you spelled "alot" like that and its spelled like this " a lot" two words and not one. I learn that in english class today. You can thank me later. :}
Old 08-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Banned

stellastarr's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyecrazy2

Pinch them in if they keep sacking you thru the middle out if they blitz you from the sides.

Tip: In the first sentence you spelled "alot" like that and its spelled like this " a lot" two words and not one. I learn that in english class today. You can thank me later. :}
harro
Old 08-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Rookie

Drake's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyecrazy2

Wow thanks, maybe you'll move onto 4 letter words next class. I have a few of those for you.

Anyone have any useful info?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

Get comfortable with throwing slants or dumping the ball out on the flat to a RB. Recognize who on the outside is blitzing and make a hot read and get it to your WR quick. Blitzes will leave somebody uncovered. If you can capitalize even minimal gains at a time your opponent will likely try something else.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #7
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
There just doesnt seem to be enough time to complete a pass with the cone.
Are you using the shoulder buttons to scan the field? If so, try double tapping the WR icon. I have it to the point where it takes me virtually no extra time.

Quote:
- Keep 1 or 2 RBs in to block. That only leaves me with 3 receivers which can be covered by the remaining 5 defenders.
Remember that 2 of those 5 defenders will be assigned to the backs you're keeping in to block. They'll either shadow the RB or blitz. You should still have one-on-one coverage with your remaining 3 WR(if it's man coverage).

Quote:
- Send a RB into the flat? that will work i guess as long as its not a defense with DBS in the flat.
If he's sending 2 LBs, that leaves a safety to cover one of the RBs. Unless he's the ultimate dare devil and brings the safeties up with no deep help, you should have time to hit the RB before the safety gets there. And sending the WR deep on that side will help open things up.

Quote:
- Quick slants? These never seem to work for me, the LBS usually bat them down.
The LBs can't blitz and cover the slant.

If he's zone blitzing and still sending 6, you should see wide open areas in the zone. 5 guys in zone coverage is not very effective. If he's in man and sends 6, the slant should be there.

Quote:
So what do you guys do when you come up againt constant blitzing? im getting sacked 8-10 times a game online. Thanks
Keeping backs in has worked best for me. In addition to what you mentioned above, try screens & draws. If he's blitzing from the outside, the draw should be pretty effective. The screen should work regardless of where the blitz is coming from.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
Rookie

jmmista's Arena

OVR: 2
Icon8 Re: Best way to combat the BLITZ

I can almost never get a pass off when I try to run a screen pass against the blitz, and if I do get the pass off and complete it to the running back, he is tackled immediately for a loss! How do you make your screens work?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »