Home

Ingame Video of Madden 360 Next Gen!

This is a discussion on Ingame Video of Madden 360 Next Gen! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Ingame Video of Madden 360 Next Gen!

From viewing the trailer, it looks like Madden 360 will have the same issues Madden XX-06 had, and thats fluidity of animation. The NFL2k series was terribly guilty of this, but covered it well with great visuals. But unfortunately Madden simply does not have great visuals to cover it's problematic areas. Let me get specific:

Transition animations.

The QB going from the snap to his back pedal, throwing animations, tackle animations, all suffer the same problem. Anyone who has played 06 for more than 10 minutes can tell you the number one transition animation used:
When a player gets knocked down/tackled, he flips on his back-then a second pause- then resumes the next animation. Thats EA's fairly lazy way of dealing with stringing animations together. So what is the excuse?
Man power? Actually yes, but I'll talk about that in a second.
Hardware? I think that we can safely say that with PS3 and X360 (even the Xbox 1) they have more than enough room to work with considering the games material.
Time? I think this is it. Although they've had the animation "problem" in the past 5-6 Maddens, I think it's just come down to an issue of what is more important. Headline features? Or smoother animations? I think as long as the basic engine isn't broken, I just don't see them completely going from the ground up and reworking it.

Thats where man power actually becomes a problem. Lets compare 2 companies, id Software (makers of Doom, Quake series of games) and EA. Every couple of years John Carmack (f'ing genuis behind id's 3D engines) will sit down and completely rewrite his graphics engines. He did it with Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Quake 2 (sort of), and Doom 3. Now engine rewrites aren't that big of a deal at id. I think they are maybe a 20 person team. If John writes some new stuff, he explains it to one guy who will teach it to everyone else. Easy. They need new content anyway, so why not make a better way of creating and showing that content. Let's take a guess and say it will take 3-4 months to get everyone comfortable with the new engine and therefore, a new way of doing things.

But it's an entirely different story for EA. I'm just going to guess and say there are 60-70 people working on Madden and next-gen Madden. I'm probably wrong, but lets just use that number. Now, imagine you're a programmer. You've just found an *** kicking new way to blend 3 frames of animation together. You take the last frame of one animation, and the first frame of another animation, and stick a programatically created one in the middle. All that needs to be done is for the animator to flag an animation with a certain property so your newly created script can find it. "Well, thats a huge process", says your manager. "We would have to send the script to every animator and they would have to run it through every animation they have. Then there's bug testing, then what if the new animation file isn't compatible with what the next-gen guys are doing....."

You get my point? Companies this big, and with this HUGE of a product are simply not going to induce changes when:
1) It doesn't have to.
2) The change would disrupt workflow and slow down production.

A little OT, but it's nice to get that out there.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

It was a crappy copy of a video that someone got a hold of. I will withhold judgement until I see it in quicktime official trailer form or on one of those in-store displays.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryBook
It was a crappy copy of a video that someone got a hold of. I will withhold judgement until I see it in quicktime official trailer form or on one of those in-store displays.
Finally, somebody says something that makes a little bit of sense!

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but you guys are unbelievable! You're criticizing the FONT on the backs of the jerseys? And that's just ONE of the ludicris things you people have brought up! You know just as well as I do that once you start reading impressions of Madden360, you're going to beg mommy and daddy to go to the store and get it for you, or you're going to drive down there yourselves and get it!

It was a freaking promotional video for Burger King, guys! It was a little more than a minute long! Come on, guys! Lighten UP! Good GOD you people like to jump to conclusions!

Last edited by TJdaSportsGuy; 09-08-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #20
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

That isn't next-gen. Otherwise you wouldn't see old animations.

You can't be suprised. You think EA of all companies would have a grasp on 360 development?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #21
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

It looks okay, and I hope it's an old build, as some of the animations don't look right. I do know it will look a whole lot sharper, because this will be running in 720p. If EA delivers on some the things they talked about during that Making of Madden show, i'll be picking it up.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #22
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless
It looks okay, and I hope it's an old build, as some of the animations don't look right. I do know it will look a whole lot sharper, because this will be running in 720p. If EA delivers on some the things they talked about during that Making of Madden show, i'll be picking it up.
At around the :48sec mark of the vid, check out the sack of McNabb and how the players react after the play. You can't fake comedy like that

I was thinking of the Making of Madden show myself when watching the vid - I remember them commenting on getting the stadium details down pat (down to fire extinguishers), and the player faces which they seem to have done a great job with. But did they mention next-gen physics? Don't recall that being mentioned. Because nothing "next-gen physics" related appears to be going on in the game at all. Those improper form tackles were horrible.

Actually, some of the tackles look okay - I just HATE how Tiburon seems to love that "shoulder-dip" tackle; used to be in 2K also - a few years ago. I'm not a big fan of Tiburon (although they *finally* did a good job with current gen Madden 2006), but I have a hard time believing Madden360 will be THAT stiff and awkwardly animated. I mean there was NO reaction by players after plays - that was a throwback to the PS1/early PS2 days of videogame football. The lineman were actally walk-skating back to the huddle.

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 09-08-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 32

I am going to wait. The next gen console going for 400 bones but this game better sweat diamonds.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #24
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSparty
...I almost definitely will buy it, but I didn't see much that excited me.
And this is why EA is able to do what they do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »