Home

What Purpose does a formation shift serve?

This is a discussion on What Purpose does a formation shift serve? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
What Purpose does a formation shift serve?

I'm playing a franchise with the Colts and I'm trying to run a no huddle as accurate to the real Colts offense as I can. I really like this game, but one of the things that frustrates me is that I only get five audibles total. I'm afraid I got spoiled by NFL 2k5 last year when I got 5 audibles per formation. I'm curious as to what purpose the formation shift serves and how this might help me run a more accurate Colts no huddle???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: What Purpose does a formation shift serve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclips
I'm playing a franchise with the Colts and I'm trying to run a no huddle as accurate to the real Colts offense as I can. I really like this game, but one of the things that frustrates me is that I only get five audibles total. I'm afraid I got spoiled by NFL 2k5 last year when I got 5 audibles per formation. I'm curious as to what purpose the formation shift serves and how this might help me run a more accurate Colts no huddle???
You get 5 button audibles + 4 audibles for every formation. So in total you have 9 audibles. The formation audibles are activated by using the Right Analog stick instead of the buttons. So Audible button + Left, Right, Up or Down on the right analog stick.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

It creates matchup problems. Look at it as a multitude of players going in motion. I 've seen times when I do it, that I have my a LB is in man coverage with a Linebacker or WR.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Rookie

So after switching formations from say...a 3 WR set to a 2 TE set... and then audible to my square button audible, the recievers all run the same routes as they would for that square button audible prior to the formation shift???

And if not...how do I set up the audibles for the different formations that I can shift into?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

You can also choose up to 5 different audibles everytime you choose a play in the playcall screen. If you're on X-Box, when you're at the playcalling screen, push in the right analog stick(R3) and push the button of the play that you want to take as an audible. You can do this for the X, A, B, black, and white buttons on any given play. I always take at least one play for an audible and pick my regular play. This actually gives you the possibility to have 14 different audibles on every play. Essentially, this is the same as NFL2K5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #6
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quite simple it creates mismatch problems for the defense.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclips
So after switching formations from say...a 3 WR set to a 2 TE set... and then audible to my square button audible, the recievers all run the same routes as they would for that square button audible prior to the formation shift???
I think you need to do this the other way around. Square button audibles take precedence over formation shifts and hot routes, so do them first unless you want to cancel your shifts and route changes. The steps would be 1) call a play and set on-the fly audibles if wanted, 2) break huddle and optionally audible to the play you want to run, then 3) optionally shift to another formation, send a player in motion, and/or make hot route changes.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Rookie

How long to on the fly audibles stay set? If I set them at the start of the game and never change them will they be there all game???

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »