Home

true...so true

This is a discussion on true...so true within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: true...so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBomber
As a consumer, I'm not impressed with EA's practices as they affect the genre of games that I enjoy. I am going to pursue my right as a consumer to vote with my dollars, then so be it, and EA won't see mine. I understand that this is not even a drop in the bucket for a conglomerate like them, but it is my personal statement

My hope isn't that the NFL deal bankrupts EA and causes them to cease operations altogether, but I honestly wouldn't mind if the deal causes them some financial anguish, particularly if such makes developers hesitant to pursue exclusive deals in the future. The basis of the deal mirrors the approach that the NFL has taken with it's TV rights. I personally don't think the model works in videogaming and hope that this bears out as a reality to mitigate any such initiatives in the future

To me a very positive result of this entire experience would be if the model fails and the interest in exclusivity is dropped in the future. The panacea for sports gaming enthusiast is the advent of multiple gaming products provided by multiple developers. As I see it, that would spur innovation and creativity to a much greater extent than what we are currently subject to

I want Madden fans to have Madden

I want 2K fans to have 2K

I want Fever fans to have Fever

If we use basketball as the best current example, I think it is evident that the competition between EA and VC applies pressure to both parties to continually revisit and improve their offerings. That's why I believe that the basketball genre has seen the most radical growth over the last few years.

With respect to the MVP vs NFL 2k comparisons, I don't think is a similar situation. MVP fans will get an alternate game that re-purposes the MVP engine and the NCAA license isn't one that can be minimized in any way. NFL 2K fans get nothing with a license. Their title just gets scrapped, for the mean time, without the possibility for any licensed product offering -- that's a notable difference and the cause for greater outrage

It will be interesting to see if football gaming fans will support non-licensed games if they emerge and are of a comparable or exceeding quality to Madden 2006. If developers put qualitative efforts out there and we fail to support them, then we only strengthen the resolve of companies like EA to only concern themselves with the quality of their licensing agreements and not the quality of their game offerings

Time will tell

Have fun..............
Well said.

Personally, I'm tired of complaining. Either I will buy Madden, or I will take the steps necessary to update 2K5 for this year. Complaining means nothing at this point.

But like I had alluded to earlier, sequels sell, and this is most evident in sports. The deal won't be "diasterous", in the effect that EA will lose customers, but I think they may have overestimated how many people would buy Madden if it were the only NFL game in town, based on cost vs. recovery, # of console owners, etc. Granted, it's still early in the agreement's lifetime. There are so many factors involved it would take hours just listing them all (not like I want to). In any event, I think many will agree that immediate returns will deem a failure, again based on cost vs. recovery. Deals like these, though, almost never return big #s in their first year.

What this HAS done is spurned creativity from a lot of different outlets, which I think is applaudable.

As a gamer, I know this - the competition that made my game better is the same competition that wiped it out for 5 years (at least as far as authenticity comes in - unless the rumors are true...).
Old 09-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: true...so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBomber
To me this is the most sober of the posts that I've read on the issue. From my perspective, I do lament the loss of choice at the NFL level, but if some of the other proposed football games offer me a relevant and entertaining option, then I'll explore those

As a consumer, I'm not impressed with EA's practices as they affect the genre of games that I enjoy. I am going to pursue my right as a consumer to vote with my dollars, then so be it, and EA won't see mine. I understand that this is not even a drop in the bucket for a conglomerate like them, but it is my personal statement

My hope isn't that the NFL deal bankrupts EA and causes them to cease operations altogether, but I honestly wouldn't mind if the deal causes them some financial anguish, particularly if such makes developers hesitant to pursue exclusive deals in the future. The basis of the deal mirrors the approach that the NFL has taken with it's TV rights. I personally don't think the model works in videogaming and hope that this bears out as a reality to mitigate any such initiatives in the future

To me a very positive result of this entire experience would be if the model fails and the interest in exclusivity is dropped in the future. The panacea for sports gaming enthusiast is the advent of multiple gaming products provided by multiple developers. As I see it, that would spur innovation and creativity to a much greater extent than what we are currently subject to

I want Madden fans to have Madden

I want 2K fans to have 2K

I want Fever fans to have Fever

If we use basketball as the best current example, I think it is evident that the competition between EA and VC applies pressure to both parties to continually revisit and improve their offerings. That's why I believe that the basketball genre has seen the most radical growth over the last few years.

With respect to the MVP vs NFL 2k comparisons, I don't think is a similar situation. MVP fans will get an alternate game that re-purposes the MVP engine and the NCAA license isn't one that can be minimized in any way. NFL 2K fans get nothing with a license. Their title just gets scrapped, for the mean time, without the possibility for any licensed product offering -- that's a notable difference and the cause for greater outrage

It will be interesting to see if football gaming fans will support non-licensed games if they emerge and are of a comparable or exceeding quality to Madden 2006. If developers put qualitative efforts out there and we fail to support them, then we only strengthen the resolve of companies like EA to only concern themselves with the quality of their licensing agreements and not the quality of their game offerings

Time will tell

Have fun..............

Very good post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »