Home

Cap penallties ect............

This is a discussion on Cap penallties ect............ within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Cap penallties ect............

Does anyone know how the cap penalties work exactly in this game? When you are trading or releasing guys how exactly is the penalties assesed. Or if you resign a player how the contract helps or hurts.

I just have never found a good thread anywhere that describes the different scenerios and what the implications are of all the moves. I have a bunch of players becomiong FA's after this year in my franchise and I need to figure out how to create the monst cap space.
Minnesota Wild
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Let's Go Mets!!!

Nyrican127's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Cap penallties ect............

When you cut or trade a guy who you gave a signing bonus to, that is the penalty that goes against your cap. It is prorated in terms of years remaining on the players contract. For example, If i gave a player a 5 year 30 million dollar deal with a 10 million signing bonus and then release him after the 3rd year that means i get hit with a 4 million dollar cap hit. You take the 10 mil, divided by years and you get 2 million. that 2 million counts against your cap each year. sometimes the cap penalty is lower than the total salary the player is due and it makes sense to move him.
New York Rangers
Florida Gators
Chelsea FC
Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Pro

So only the bonus money is what you take the hit on ? What about the 4 mil ? That just disapears ? And that bonus penalty counts against your next years cap not the year you are currently in correct?

thanks
Minnesota Wild
Old 09-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
So only the bonus money is what you take the hit on ? What about the 4 mil ? That just disapears ? And that bonus penalty counts against your next years cap not the year you are currently in correct?

thanks

Here's what happens when you signed the player to the above contract:
Year1 Year2 Year3 Year4 Year5
Base: 4Mill 4Mill 4Mill 4Mill 4Mill Total:20Million base salary
Bonus 2Mill 2Mill 2Mill 2Mill 2Mill Total:10Million bonus
Total: 6Mill 6Mill 6Mill 6Mill 6Mill Total:30 mill contract with 10mill bonus

If after the above contract is signed, the player is cut after the third year, here is the cap impact

Year1 Year2 Year3 Year4 Year5
Base: 4Mill 4Mill 4Mill 0Mill 0Mill Total:12Million base salary
Bonus 2Mill 2Mill 2Mill 4Mill 0Mill Total:10Million bonus
Total: 6Mill 6Mill 6Mill 4Mill 0Mill Total:22 mill collected by player from team

As shown, after cutting the player after year three, all the remaining bonus money(4mill) will be accelerated into the cap for the next year(year4).

The player will still get all his remaining bonus money after being cut but not the remaining salary.

A question that i have. Does anyone know if bonus money becomes a penalty in the game when you renegotiate a contract?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Let's Go Mets!!!

Nyrican127's Arena

bonus money becomes a penalty if the new bonus is smaller than the original bonus. I know it all sounds complicated but it's simple once you figure it out. I
New York Rangers
Florida Gators
Chelsea FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Pro

^ thanks for the fine description there. It makes total sense to me now.

I also wonder about your resigining question. Because in real life teams often give players that are currently signed new contracts to create cap space. i too wonder if this works in Madden.

And is the salary per year always figured out by the CPU ? Or can you manually change the yearly breakdown yourself ? It would be nice to get rid of the bonus money on the back end and pay most of it upfront. That way you can cut players when there yearly salary gets too high without always having a cap hit.
Minnesota Wild
Old 09-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Banned

Samantha's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
^ thanks for the fine description there. It makes total sense to me now.

I also wonder about your resigining question. Because in real life teams often give players that are currently signed new contracts to create cap space. i too wonder if this works in Madden.

And is the salary per year always figured out by the CPU ? Or can you manually change the yearly breakdown yourself ? It would be nice to get rid of the bonus money on the back end and pay most of it upfront. That way you can cut players when there yearly salary gets too high without always having a cap hit.
Yes, you can resign a play to relieve cap space. Generally, you are resigning a player who is in the final year or two of his contract. The final year or two are always higher base salaries than the beginning of the contract. So you might have a guy in the 5th year of a 6 year contract, with a base salary of $5-8 million, along with his portion of the signing bonus, you can save the $5-8 million by signing him to an extension and lowering his base salary back to the 1.8 to 2.5 million. Of course, you have to give the player a signing bonus, but you can structure the bonus to salary ratio anyway you want. More bonus, less salary. Last year, I did this with a couple players to lower their cap hit and extend their contract before they might ask for even bigger money.

To add to this, I have seen guys with a $10 + million base salary in the final years of their contract, this is definitely a time to restructure! If you are playing with the Colts, this is a must! Peyton Manning.
The one negative about Madden's cap, you do not take a cap hit for players retireing with long term contracts still. This is in serious need to be fixed, along with the IR problem! Please EA!!!!!

Last edited by Samantha; 09-14-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Let's Go Mets!!!

Nyrican127's Arena

I took a cap hit last year when Seau retired but I don't know about this year
New York Rangers
Florida Gators
Chelsea FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »