Home

.:buyer beware:. Madden PSP randomly shuts down system

This is a discussion on .:buyer beware:. Madden PSP randomly shuts down system within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
.:buyer beware:. Madden PSP randomly shuts down system

For those of you that do not know this yet,
Madden on PSP suffers from a crucial flaw.

In Franchise mode, after playing one week of your season,
Madden NFL 2006 on PSP seems to randomly shut down your PSP system
leaving you no time to salvage your games or your franchise progress.
Usually at the end of the game after you have won or lost and the game is booting back to the menu is when I've experienced the shut-downs.
I've read user accounts of the shutdowns occuring in menus as well as the online section.
Some have managed to play the game by saving a couple of times every quarter, or by sticking to PLAY NOW instant action mode.
I admit I have tried this also.

I love the game, but I'm sick of fighting with it and I'm damn pissed that I paid 50 dollars for a game that I can't even play.

EA's official statements on this issue are that it is not a widespread problem.

I would like to know, how many Madden PSP owners on OS
are experiencing this problem?

I want my money back, how about you?

Read my post at the official EA Madden PSP forums(username: daimyoprophet)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: .:buyer beware:. Madden PSP randomly shuts down system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animagic
For those of you that do not know this yet,
Madden on PSP suffers from a crucial flaw.

In Franchise mode, after playing one week of your season,
Madden NFL 2006 on PSP seems to randomly shut down your PSP system
leaving you no time to salvage your games or your franchise progress.
Usually at the end of the game after you have won or lost and the game is booting back to the menu is when I've experienced the shut-downs.
I've read user accounts of the shutdowns occuring in menus as well as the online section.
Some have managed to play the game by saving a couple of times every quarter, or by sticking to PLAY NOW instant action mode.
I admit I have tried this also.

I love the game, but I'm sick of fighting with it and I'm damn pissed that I paid 50 dollars for a game that I can't even play.

EA's official statements on this issue are that it is not a widespread problem.

I would like to know, how many Madden PSP owners on OS
are experiencing this problem?

I want my money back, how about you?

Read my post at the official EA Madden PSP forums(username: daimyoprophet)
I have played 3 weeks worth of franchise mode and have had no issues at all. When does this occur?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56
I have played 3 weeks worth of franchise mode and have had no issues at all. When does this occur?
After week one it seems your franchise becomes vulnerable to it.

It is random as far as I can tell... but it didn't hit me until week 6..

Now, I have to save a couple of times every quarter, because the PSP will shut itself down 3 or 4 times A GAME.

yes even after reboots.

it seems to get worse the further you go.

although, if you never experience this, then I envy you.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

I haven't started my PSP franchise yet, but I have been reading up on this problem....

Apparently - according to EA, anyway - the lock-ups/restarts are more likely to occur for some reason when you start your games from the regular weekly schedule screen. So - they advise you to always start your games from the team schedule screen.

I would like to believe that this will solve the problem. Hopefully it is just the case that starting from the weekly match-up screen crashes the game, because there is some flaw where the game crashes on the transition between the franchise game you are playing and the simulation of the other games that week.

Maybe it becomes more stable whenever you simply play your game, exit and save, and then sim the remaining games for that week.

Anyway - give this a try and let us know if there are any problems. I'm not going to be starting my PSP franchise yet, but I do want to keep watching this problem....
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

I was experiencing the same problems, so I got rid of it for NBA2K6.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Rookie

I wrote the office of NFL licensing... I am so furious... here is my letter.
if any of you are as upset at me for being robbed of 50 bucks, I encourage you to write.

If you are serious about your EA issues you need to contact NFL Licensing:

(212) 450-2000

or snailmail them at:

National Football League - Licensing
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

This is where we have leverage - after all, EA has sold us the game, so they don't care a whole lot about fixing it (obviously). But the NFL has some very strict licensing agreements, and sub-par work is always something they watch for.

FYI, I called the NFL office and spoke to Jonathan Zimmer, he asked that all complaints be emailed to him at [email protected] , he will collect these and present them to the NFL's licensing department.

This is the way to make something happen.

-----------------

Mr. Zimmer,

I am enclosing my complaint written to EA in regards to the sub-par NFL licensed Madden PSP title that I recently bought.

I know many people, myself included, purchased the PSP for the ability to play Madden NFL and experience the excitement of the game in our hands anywhere we go.

Unfortunately, EA doesn't feel that it is necessary to quality control their products affiliated with your exclusive license and this game release is the proof.
A problem with the gamecode forces your PSP to shut itself down randomly in different areas; ranging from menus, to online play lobbies, even during gameplay.

EA has posted some proposed 'workarounds' to get the game to function at an acceptable level, but these are not solving the problem.
Included in the statements are repeated attempts to classify the problem as not being "widespread" which is simply not true. Everyone that has the game has this problem.

On average, PSP games cost 35-40 dollars. However, since EA supposedly creates premium products, they feel necessary to charge 50 dollars. This is the same price they charge for xbox and ps2 versions of madden, for example.
For EA and the NFL to charge a premium price for their licensed game products I expect a premium experience, and I feel like I have been robbed of my hard earned money by EA and the NFL.

With no apology, admittance, or genuine response from EA regarding the bug and no refund policy, I am forced to spend my time writing you to effect change in EA's handling of the NFL license.

I love the NFL, it's players, it's history, and it's pageantry.
It would be nice if EA cared about the NFL as more than a license to print money, but rather as a unique opportunity to showcase the things that make the NFL loved by millions in a responsible way.

I can no longer afford to throw away 50 dollars or more every time EA decides to release games of this quality. My life is busy as most are these days, and my gaming time is shorter as well.
Since I have no other NFL football option I am going to not play it at all.
I expect after EA's handling of this debacle that many more will follow suit.

The NFL brand will be damaged in the world of digital entertainment as long as you choose to stay affiliated with the greediness, disgusting quality control standards, and insensitive customer service of the EA company.

I thank you in advance for your time, below is the enclosed letter sent to EA.
sincerely,
-Carsten Bradley

-------------------------------------------------
The repeated statements in the official EA "Franchise shutdown-fix" of the problem not being widespread is an outright lie. I am infuriated by the refusal of EA to deal with the problem.

I have never felt like my money has been stolen from a game company until experiencing PSP Madden NFL.

Let me be absolutely clear on this point:
This isn't a case of hightened expectations and being disappointed at the result.
What the code has allowed me to play of the game, has been enjoyable.
I was a huge fan of Madden NFL through the years, and welcomed the PSP addition.
When I saw the EA and NFL brand on the game, I thought that meant I would get a quality experience.
Most PSP games retail between 35-40 dollars... but EA charges 50 bucks (a premium console game price) for their PSP titles.
With a symbol of quality like EA and the NFL had, I was willing to spend that kind of money thinking I would get what I paid for.

Now I am cancelling my pre-orders for all EASports titles and EAGames titles...
I will remember this experience when I choose gifts for or make game recommendations to my friends and relatives.
I work too hard for my money and my gaming time is too precious to be suckered by digital-entertainment carpet baggers.
The EA name is no longer a symbol of quality. My statement is backed up by their release of this game, their subsequent actions regarding the widespread (all copies) flaw, and their disgusting arrogance in dealing with their customers.

I don't expect a bug free experience, but I expect to be able to play the game as advertised.

I demand a 100% refund so I can spend my money on game products that truly deliver a quality experience.
Until I get my 100% refund, I will be writing the NFL, your shareholders, Sony Computer Entertainment of America, your corporate office, the better business bureau, and every gaming publication I have the time to send mail to.

The time spent on this pursuit is of greater value than to do inane "workarounds" to get this 50 dollar premium game to work as advertised.

thanks,

-former EA customer

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »