Home

The Next Ten Years?!?!

This is a discussion on The Next Ten Years?!?! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
The Next Ten Years?!?!

I just got the new Game Informer which has a 2-page article on Xbox 360 Madden, where the developers say that "We want this to be the engine that we use for the next decade."

The Next Ten Years?!?!

Even if this Madden 06 on 360 blows us out of the park, wouldn't keeping this engine for the next 10 years still be pushing thing a bit too far? If what this guys says holds up, then the 360 engined game will also be the same engine to run on the post-360 Era consoles.

I feel strange. And please don't dance around "what they mean by the word engine." Engine is engine.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:
Re: The Next Ten Years?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
I just got the new Game Informer which has a 2-page article on Xbox 360 Madden, where the developers say that "We want this to be the engine that we use for the next decade."

The Next Ten Years?!?!

Even if this Madden 06 on 360 blows us out of the park, wouldn't keeping this engine for the next 10 years still be pushing thing a bit too far? If what this guys says holds up, then the 360 engined game will also be the same engine to run on the post-360 Era consoles.

I feel strange. And please don't dance around "what they mean by the word engine." Engine is engine.
If taken literally, that could be very scary. Of course, "engine" means different things to different people. He would need to elaborate a little more for me to form an opinion, but I completely understand your disappointement.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
If taken literally, that could be very scary. Of course, "engine" means different things to different people. He would need to elaborate a little more for me to form an opinion, but I completely understand your disappointement.
i sure hope that they dont use the same engine for the next 10 years. that would be ridiculous.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 1

If they mean that literally, I wouldn't be worried at all unless you're just that devoted to Madden. No way they can even think of carrying that same engine literally into a decade being that it would possibly go through 2 console cycles. Times change far too often in VG hardware to just "sit" on that.

Some other developer and publisher (not necessarily saying Take-Two) would seriously trump them given that chance and time.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

Sega started using the 2K football engine in '99. Doesn't look like they were planing on updating it anytime soon. If it ain't broke don't fix it. EA took the time to build a new engine from the ground up. This is what people have been crying for (myself included) and now that you got it you want to complain about it. Some people will never be happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplate
Sega started using the 2K football engine in '99. Doesn't look like they were planing on updating it anytime soon. If it ain't broke don't fix it. EA took the time to build a new engine from the ground up. This is what people have been crying for (myself included) and now that you got it you want to complain about it. Some people will never be happy.
Maybe you're misinterpreting. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting. But it sounds like folks are anticipating having to complain about another stale engine. If that's the case, I don't get your logic. Sounds like you're saying people shouldn't complain about what they complained about in the past if histoy does in fact repeat itself.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
MVP

VanillaGorilla's Arena

OVR: 9

In this case, "Engine" could mean just the basic football elements. I wouldn't mind it, as long as the engine is good to begin with. And just like someone else said, SEGA used the same engine in NFL2K5 that they did with NFL2K for the Dreamcast.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Actually VC's engine, whatever that word means was updated with 2k4 I believe. That's why you had new things added that they were not able to do before like real gang tackling and double team blocking. Whole new animation engine. Some of the other mechanics may have been there from 99, but the animation engine was new. So whatever engine means, I think needs to be clarified. Is it animation engine, gameplay mechanics, what exactly is being connoted when this word is used.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »