Home

What Are You Guys Thoughts On The Maddenation Interview?

This is a discussion on What Are You Guys Thoughts On The Maddenation Interview? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #33
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What Are You Guys Thoughts On The Maddenation Interview?

Initially, I was upset and concerned with no players edits, no gang tackling, and removal of some other features. I still can't understand why they would take player edits out of the game. From a programming standpoint, it can not be that hard to write code that updates a player's name, height, weight, etc. Being a programmer myself, I can say that it IS NOT hard to update text. These edits have no affect on the game other than seeing the correct player names in the game and on their team's jersey. This was one of those, lets add it as a NEW feature next year.

All that being said, at the end of the day EA finally did what I have been waiting for, the re-wrote the game. If the game plays better ON THE FIELD than the last few years, I will be satisfied. BUT a big part of that will be the running game. The running game is the main reason NFL 2K has been my football game of choice the last few years. I hope EA can bring all of us 2k fans back because we really want to enjoy their game again!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34
Ya know, I was kind of hoping that EA would step up to the plate and deliver a great 360 Madden this year, but it sort of seems like they put forth a weak effort. I don't really buy into the 'totally rewrote' thing, because it that was true it would look nothing like the old madden (which it does, based upon the opinions above). Plus being a software engineer as my regular job, I find it pretty much unbelievable that they would rewrite the game. If there software was properly written (as it should be), then putting features in and pulling features out is pretty standard. I'm pretty sure that they were pulled on purpose not by the design team (i.e. the people who care about making a good product), but by upper management (who care about the bottom line for upcoming years). That's just my opinion though, nothing more.

Taylor34
This is my concern. Did EA pull things out of the game to put it back in under new names as innovative game play additions. Just as a consumer something doesnt smell right with this game. It sound like I am getting less of a game than Madden 2004.

Why didnt they just port Madden 2006 with improve staduims and new menus.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 7

Wow this interview suprised me b/c I figured that a Madden web site would not ask tough questions, but he did. Hopefully this game is a template for madden next year. It better be b/c excuses that we (EA) couldn't get it done this year, won't fly next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 PM   #36
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

Well the first launch in any generation is never the best and I think the same will be true with this game, but I like how Madden rewrote the game and hopefully made it much better in some areas than before and that they can continue to build on that. If EA keeps working like they say they do this game will be very good in a few years (thinking 2 to 3). Thats not to say this years version won't be enjoyable but that it will be at its best in at least 2 to 3 years.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #37
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34
Ya know, I was kind of hoping that EA would step up to the plate and deliver a great 360 Madden this year, but it sort of seems like they put forth a weak effort. I don't really buy into the 'totally rewrote' thing, because it that was true it would look nothing like the old madden (which it does, based upon the opinions above). Plus being a software engineer as my regular job, I find it pretty much unbelievable that they would rewrite the game. If there software was properly written (as it should be), then putting features in and pulling features out is pretty standard. I'm pretty sure that they were pulled on purpose not by the design team (i.e. the people who care about making a good product), but by upper management (who care about the bottom line for upcoming years). That's just my opinion though, nothing more.

Taylor34
If you're a software engineer, then you should know that rewriting the code from the ground up does NOT mean the end result looks entirely different. You should know that programming for a completely different platform takes lots of man hours, and some things get sacrificed. Even PC software makers are struggling to get their software to run properly on the mult-core format. I think you're right, the suits ordered the focus to remain on the core engine, rather than the features. But rather than something sinister, like you believe, the more plausible reason is the suits want to wow the public next year when they can release to three brand new consoles instead of one. The idea is to refine and perfect the features they want to add, get more time working on the Xenon and Cell, and leave a little something to offer next year when the multiple core optimized game is released.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #38
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfansiny79
Wow this interview suprised me b/c I figured that a Madden web site would not ask tough questions, but he did. Hopefully this game is a template for madden next year. It better be b/c excuses that we (EA) couldn't get it done this year, won't fly next year.
You hit the nail on the head. EA will have had over a year to play with the Xenon, and almost a year with the Cell. Since the Cell can handle graphics on its own, they only need the final Cell build to start coding. They spent two years rewriting, so there's not much of an excuse to not enhance and refine the projects left out while perfecting the core game engine. No "wait til next year" will be allowed in 2006.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 14

Hmmm, I can see it now. Press up on the right analog stick and what pops up on the screen? "Pile-On Tackle"
Old 11-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
If you're a software engineer, then you should know that rewriting the code from the ground up does NOT mean the end result looks entirely different. You should know that programming for a completely different platform takes lots of man hours, and some things get sacrificed. Even PC software makers are struggling to get their software to run properly on the mult-core format. I think you're right, the suits ordered the focus to remain on the core engine, rather than the features. But rather than something sinister, like you believe, the more plausible reason is the suits want to wow the public next year when they can release to three brand new consoles instead of one. The idea is to refine and perfect the features they want to add, get more time working on the Xenon and Cell, and leave a little something to offer next year when the multiple core optimized game is released.
That's the thing--I don't think they rewrote it. Sure, you can rewrite code to be pretty similar, but judging from past efforts I don't think EA has that type of talent for something that large of scale in a short amount of time(or if they do, they hide it pretty well, lol). Maybe reworked graphic capabities 360 specific enhancements, but that's about it. EA is all about one thing--money. What costs more, a rewrite from scratch or a port with enhancements? A rewrite of course. What sounds better from a pr perspective? A rewrite. I think it's just a pr ploy designed to please the fans. If Madden 360 was lacking all these features and they said nothing, people would be really pissed. Now when they said that they've rewrote it, it buys them "well, they worked really hard on it this year, maybe next year" comments. They've told quite a few lies before, so it's not really unusual (or in this case, probably a half-truth). Regardless, the consumer is the one that's hurt. This is just my opinion though, and I could be wrong.

Taylor34

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »