Home

New Video (I hope)

This is a discussion on New Video (I hope) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: New Video (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddabob7502
I see this expression stand out more than ever. "Next Year".

You know I couldn't say it better myself. The thing is the comment you made about other next gen sport games having cloth physics is the best comment or idea anyone expressed. You see no one really pays attention to those things in real life but to implement something similar to that in a game would be more realistic. Isn't that what they are going for. In their ads and commercials they try to implent that they are having a realistic game. Well prove it. Don't get me wrong I love madden and all and I'm still buying this game but in the Gameplay vids it seems like its missing something and I can tell from what I saw that its close to if not the same gameplay engine they have been using.

IDK i really want this game to play good. EA really messed themselves up with this one, I haven't played the game yet so i don't know if it will be fun, the same, or worse. IMO this gen they can get away with having their current engine. But they better implement Physics,cloth movement, or anything else we can think when the game comes out, b/c the graphics are amazing and now the bad part of the animation will really start to stick out b/c of how ugly certain things are. If they fix the players collision detection, I think the game will be up to par on were to take it to the next step.
I don't think cloth physics are as important in football as basketball, maybe 10-15 years ago when players had sleeves on their jerseys. Most players uniforms are so tight that cloth physics would be a waste of cpu time IMO, I would like to see shoulder pad movement however. I would rather they focus on collision detection, physics and A.I. As far as the videos, I do see subtle animations that were not present in earlier builds, and as good as the graphics look in the videos, I cannot wait to see them on my 58" high def. The game will be far from perfect, but I don't think it will suck.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #74
MVP

forensicd's Arena

OVR: 21

If there are no complaints, things will never get better. People where fine with black and white tvs, but someone came along and said you know what, i think we can do this in color. Once those that saw color then wanted it, and hence the black and white tv is no longer in existence, except in kentucky(hey, im from indiana, i can say that!). This is the same in video games. We see all these strides being done in other games, why cant the mother of all games add these things too? Is it so much to ask that a company get read of bugs they knew existed in their "old" gen, but still somehow found a way to put it in the built from the ground next gen title?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #75
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Also...another thing I keep seeing are similar tackles. I wished they would've varied that up a little bit.

I like what I see in the game...but what I'm seriously worried about is that it's going to feel stale too quickly. Everything from the same pre-snap close-up to the QB's to the similiar taunts post-plays to the way the players sort of robotically move...it definitely worries me. I think at the end of the day, a lot more variety would've went a long way for EA. Everything from varied animations during plays to post-plays to more momemtum to many different kinds of tackles, etc...

On the flip side, I think the sounds you hear on the field are amazing. Very immersive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #76
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
I don't think cloth physics are as important in football as basketball, maybe 10-15 years ago when players had sleeves on their jerseys. Most players uniforms are so tight that cloth physics would be a waste of cpu time IMO, I would like to see shoulder pad movement however. I would rather they focus on collision detection, physics and A.I. As far as the videos, I do see subtle animations that were not present in earlier builds, and as good as the graphics look in the videos, I cannot wait to see them on my 58" high def. The game will be far from perfect, but I don't think it will suck.
I know some of my requests might be "to much" or nit picky, well I understand about the cloth physics but still have a variety about the way they implement it. For instance a Qb, Wr, RB, LBs, their jersey's do become untucked and the shoulder pads come out when tackling or being tackled. You see those little things helps make the game come to life. I am not expecting 06 to be OMG!!!!!! you know I like what i see and I hope they implement these things in next years version. Different types of jerseys would be a plus, Helmets coming off half way would be cool if when you hit stick a QB or RB you see their helmet shift up coming halfway off but not all the way. I could come up with more but this is not a wishlist. I hope next year they WOW us with a different variety of player movement.

But I hope they fix the collision detection and physics b/c right now they have the graphics and if they keep the same gameplay engine with some tweaks then EVERYONE will notice the flaws with the detection/physics b/c it will look unnatural and the graphics will have it stand out more than it does now.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 2

My idea of nextgen animations movement etc. for example would be something like a guy coming late for a tackle so the only thing he can get a hold on is the jersey. So he clinges to the jersey ripping it apart.

All I see in those videos are teh same old pre scripted stuff where a guy diving low suddenly ends up on the back of the guy with the ball. It's ugly and has nothing to do with next gen at all.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #78
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Next gen to everyone it seems a closer way to play to realism. Every request made is not over the top. I know i will be happy with these graphics for a while. But the gameplay needs some work. I know they needed more time.

So basically next year is the do or die year for madden. If they want realism they better learn and learn quick about the 360 hardware. B/c there will be no excuses then. They should start on 07 as soon as they ship this M360 game. IMO I can't wait to write a review and wishlist as soon as I play madden. There is so many ideas out there they can include next year but we shall see on how they approach it. Well we will all have to wait until next year but trust me it will be here before you know it.

Come Nov. 22 I think we are going to be in for a treat. I hope Madden plays as good as some of these previews sound b/c if it does well......nuff said.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #79
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13

This "new" Madden is a joke. The graphics still look chubby and unrealistic, there's still mario running, the animations are HORRIBLE.

Built from the ground-up my butt. This looks slightly better than NFL2k5 graphically.

EA is a joke....I'll be getting Madden in my bundle, so hopefully they prove me wrong and I actually enjoy the game, but I doubt it. It looks so much like the current gen game it's not even funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddabob7502
Next gen to everyone it seems a closer way to play to realism. Every request made is not over the top. I know i will be happy with these graphics for a while. But the gameplay needs some work. I know they needed more time.

So basically next year is the do or die year for madden. If they want realism they better learn and learn quick about the 360 hardware. B/c there will be no excuses then. They should start on 07 as soon as they ship this M360 game. IMO I can't wait to write a review and wishlist as soon as I play madden. There is so many ideas out there they can include next year but we shall see on how they approach it. Well we will all have to wait until next year but trust me it will be here before you know it.

Come Nov. 22 I think we are going to be in for a treat. I hope Madden plays as good as some of these previews sound b/c if it does well......nuff said.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Cloth physics could be cool in a football game. Think about untucked Jersey's. Guys getting grabbed by that untucked jersey and slung down to the ground.

On another note, the more and more I see the game, I ask myself the question as to whether or not this game is using FEVER's game engine with better proportioned players and more quantity and fluidity of animations. I ask that because alot of things are very similar: Kicking Meter, Playcalling screen, some of the post play taunting are EXACTLY like FEVER post play taunting. I'm not saying it's a bad thing because the FEVER engine had infinite potential that was never reached in terms of graphics, gameplay and animations. They were one of the first to actually attempt, even if mistakenly at TYPE of pile on tackling. If anyone had FEVER 2002 you remember the RB's dragging guys. They just never completed the animation. There is alot they can do with the engine, but we wanted alot now

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »