Home

for those who don't have 720p

This is a discussion on for those who don't have 720p within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: for those who don't have 720p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba4
Besides, there aren't that many native 720p TV's out there. They're a high end product.
I actually thought that 720p native was the majority of sets. At least from what I saw when I was searching it seemed everything was 720p native.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
I actually thought that 720p native was the majority of sets. At least from what I saw when I was searching it seemed everything was 720p native.
They are starting to be the majority as most LCD's, Plasma's, front projectors and DLP's are 720p. Many CRT's either rear projection or tube are 1080i, but those are going the way of the dinosaur.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
They are starting to be the majority as most LCD's, Plasma's, front projectors and DLP's are 720p. Many CRT's either rear projection or tube are 1080i, but those are going the way of the dinosaur.
That would explain why. I narrowed my search to LCD/DLP's when I bought my HDTV so that's probably why everything I was looking at was 720p. Thanks for the info!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2005, 01:37 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
720p runs at 60fps, and 1080i runs at 30fps, so for you to say thats not a big difference I dissagree, I only watch my sports on 720p, I never watch sports on 1080i, just for the fact that 720p if better when things running faster on screen.
Videogames dont operate at that 60FP VS 30FPS contest alot of people try to bring up..Dont believe me? Well i wont get into any technical reasons though you can find that out at avsforums.com yourself if you'd like but ..here try this, go play 60fps racing game on a regular tv "interlaced" then pop in a 30fps racing game...i bet you ARE ABLE to tell which is running at 60 frams compared to 30 frames between the two.

In other words, its not the same as video or tv programming...well it is to a technical point "in another way" but for videogames, its no diffrent for the fps when using 720p or 1080i..im referring to a game's frames per second is all. Sort of hard to explain if your not familiar with how these videogames and tv's work in conjunction.

I have a high end hdtv professionally calibrated and believe me..its damn hard to tell the diffrence between 720p vs 1080i..honestly i have the choice to use either and i personally favor 1080i slightly.

Last edited by Moegames; 11-10-2005 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:14 AM   #13
G*t'ch* G*m* *p!

Tilted Brim's Arena

OVR: 7
Thumbs up Re: for those who don't have 720p

For what it's worth I have a testimony to share......

I bought a 54" LCD Mitsubishi that did 1080i but not 720p. After playing a few games on it I noticed that the edges of the players were noticebally more jagged compared to the CRT I had been playing on before my purchase. It really bugged me that I had purchased this expensive a** TV and my viewing and gaming experience hadn't changed for the better.

After looking at the back of said game "NBA LIVE" is when I noticed that it was in 720p and that I was only capable of 1080i. I was on a mission to see the game in action in 720 P. I actually took my Xbox to the store I purchased my TV from and hooked it up to a set with 720p and WOW!

Now I know that some people say you can't tell the difference but I could right away. I immediately arranged for a return of my set and to buy one with 720p witch is a JVC with LCOS. No more jagged lines around my gaming experience
Old 11-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrim
For what it's worth I have a testimony to share......

I bought a 54" LCD Mitsubishi that did 1080i but not 720p. After playing a few games on it I noticed that the edges of the players were noticebally more jagged compared to the CRT I had been playing on before my purchase. It really bugged me that I had purchased this expensive a** TV and my viewing and gaming experience hadn't changed for the better.

After looking at the back of said game "NBA LIVE" is when I noticed that it was in 720p and that I was only capable of 1080i. I was on a mission to see the game in action in 720 P. I actually took my Xbox to the store I purchased my TV from and hooked it up to a set with 720p and WOW!

Now I know that some people say you can't tell the difference but I could right away. I immediately arranged for a return of my set and to buy one with 720p witch is a JVC with LCOS. No more jagged lines around my gaming experience
The x-box most likely down converted to 480p, I have 1080i and no 720p and that is what an x-box will do, because even though the x-box does do 1080i, it will not upconvert to 1080i from 720p.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #15
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Videogames dont operate at that 60FP VS 30FPS contest alot of people try to bring up..Dont believe me? Well i wont get into any technical reasons though you can find that out at avsforums.com yourself if you'd like but ..here try this, go play 60fps racing game on a regular tv "interlaced" then pop in a 30fps racing game...i bet you ARE ABLE to tell which is running at 60 frams compared to 30 frames between the two.

In other words, its not the same as video or tv programming...well it is to a technical point "in another way" but for videogames, its no diffrent for the fps when using 720p or 1080i..im referring to a game's frames per second is all. Sort of hard to explain if your not familiar with how these videogames and tv's work in conjunction.

I have a high end hdtv professionally calibrated and believe me..its damn hard to tell the diffrence between 720p vs 1080i..honestly i have the choice to use either and i personally favor 1080i slightly.
I just got a 50" Panasonic Plasma in Aug. and I think I favor 1080i slightly as well. CBS has their football games in that format, FOX and ESPN have 720p. While they both look amazing, the 1080i looks a little bit clearer. Don't really know how to say it or explain it. I havent had a chance to play games that are in HD on it, so I am excited to see how good Madden looks on it come the 22nd.

Last edited by poster; 11-10-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twflawless
The x-box most likely down converted to 480p, I have 1080i and no 720p and that is what an x-box will do, because even though the x-box does do 1080i, it will not upconvert to 1080i from 720p.
However, the 360 will upconvert it just like a cable or satellite box will do for you. Fox, ABC, and ESPN all use 720p but my TV only has 1080i for HD so my cable box upconverts their signals to 1080i. CBS and NBC use 1080i as standard.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »