Home

Can non-cone users be considered "sim"?

This is a discussion on Can non-cone users be considered "sim"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28
Re: Can non-cone users be considered "sim"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Stanley
If you know or have a feeling that the D is blitzing, hot route a rb or two to pass block, and send a receiver on a short quick slant / fade / hitch etc. It's still easy to beat the blitz while using the cone. You can also send a rb out into the flats which is also very succesful in beating the blitz.
Also, shifting your o-line over to the side you think will have pressure can give you an extra second or two to get rid of the ball.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #10
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12

Hopefully the cone is for ranked online games and ,unranked games don't use the cone.The QB vision made Madden a purchase for me,I wouldn't have bought the game ,it adds the realism I was looking for.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:18 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Stanley
Exactly. Most people who do not like the cone are the same people who like to scramble around, running back and forth and then just hitting a button to a receiver who is deep.

The folks who enjoy pre-reading the defense, and playing more of a sim style football seem to like the cone.

This obviously isn't every case, but it does tend to be the pattern I've found since 06's release.
i love a sim game of football,but i hate the cone,i just don't think that was a good way to represent "field vision". so i'll definitely be turning it off, and leaving it off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
Pro

biglami's Arena

i cant stand the cone and will never use it- i am so glad the default is to have the cone off
Old 11-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
Banned

I agree. I think the cone is cool for single player. But its depressing being forced to use it online because everyone picks teams with good qbs because of it. Im sick of playing the colts online cuz mannings cone is almost non existent.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:02 PM   #14
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I think the Cone was the best addition to Madden in years. You should have to "look" at where you are throwing to get good accuracy. Just my .02
Here's the problem I have with the cone as I've said before. Everyone says how you should have to look where you are throwing the ball, and I agree. However the user has always had to look where he's throwing. The cone is an attempt to make the user go through his progressions, but the user has always had to go through his progressions. You literally have to look on the screen and see if your first receiver is open, if he's not you look for someone else until you find an open receiver or get sacked. With the cone you still have to do this but at the same time you have to make your quarterback do a couple more things in order to get the ball off, in my opinion its just a complicated step that makes the quarterback take entirely to long to get the ball off, but to each his own.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 11-14-2005, 02:15 PM   #15
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Here's the problem I have with the cone as I've said before. Everyone says how you should have to look where you are throwing the ball, and I agree. However the user has always had to look where he's throwing. The cone is an attempt to make the user go through his progressions, but the user has always had to go through his progressions. You literally have to look on the screen and see if your first receiver is open, if he's not you look for someone else until you find an open receiver or get sacked. With the cone you still have to do this but at the same time you have to make your quarterback do a couple more things in order to get the ball off, in my opinion its just a complicated step that makes the quarterback take entirely to long to get the ball off, but to each his own.
I'm sure that someone will come along and say that the point of the cone is also to try to replicate the skill of real NFL QBs. Peyton Manning can "see the field" better than JP Losman, etc.

However, the problem with the cone is once you get past the couple of QBs who have a cone the size of the field, it's almost always faster to use lock-on passing to pick the WR instead of actually moving around the cone with the joystick. I've used Culpepper online a lot, and he has a pretty big cone but it is still much faster for me to use lock-on passing to pick out my WRs.

That makes most QBs basically the same in regards to their vision cone because when you use lock-on passing the size of their vision doesn't matter at all. It's simply a double tap passing method.

Last edited by Deltron; 11-14-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I agree that the cone is also used to repicate a quarterback's skill at reading the play but unfortunately I don't think it is something that can be done in a video game. Its much like how in baseball video games there's really no way to replicate how some batters are more patient than others since the user controls every single batter. If one batter is more likely to swing at a breaking pitch with two strikes it really doesn't matter because the user will either swing or not swing every time with different players. All batters will have the same patience, or lack there of.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »