Home

Can non-cone users be considered "sim"?

This is a discussion on Can non-cone users be considered "sim"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Can non-cone users be considered "sim"?

When 360 comes out, it apparently will be optional to use the cone with the change being that by default it will be off. I think it adds a ton of realism to a mostly arcade based football game. I think "sim" guys would want the cone on, but some people complain that it's too hard. I like the difficulty of having to look at only a couple of recievers before the pressure gets there. If there is going to be an option online to play with or without cone, I'm never going to give a game to someone who won't play with it. If there is no option, I guess I will just play unranked.

Last edited by Troller; 11-13-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
DickDalewood

OVR:
Re: Can non-cone users be considered "sim"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troller
When 360 comes out, it apparently will be optional to use the cone with the change being that by default it will be off. I think it adds a ton of realism to a mostly arcade based football game. I think "sim" guys would want the cone on, but some people complain that it's too hard. I like the difficulty of having to look at only a couple of recievers before the pressure gets there. If there is going to be an option online to play with or without cone, I'm never going to give a game to someone who won't play with it. If there is no option, I guess I will just play unranked.
I guess it depends on whether or not you find the cone to be "sim". Personally, I don't think it is, as it makes playing QB far more mechanical than it should be. And this isn't because I found it too diificult to use, because I did just fine playing on all-Madden with it. Everyone has their own style of play, and now EA has made it so anyone can play anyone else and easily use whichever style they want.

I guess if you don't want to play non-cone users, that's up to you, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they aren't as sim as you because of it.

To each his own I guess...

Old 11-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I think the Cone was the best addition to Madden in years. You should have to "look" at where you are throwing to get good accuracy. Just my .02
Old 11-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Pro

Wilk5280's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I think the Cone was the best addition to Madden in years. You should have to "look" at where you are throwing to get good accuracy. Just my .02
Exactly. Most people who do not like the cone are the same people who like to scramble around, running back and forth and then just hitting a button to a receiver who is deep.

The folks who enjoy pre-reading the defense, and playing more of a sim style football seem to like the cone.

This obviously isn't every case, but it does tend to be the pattern I've found since 06's release.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
john14:6

ghm125's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Stanley
Exactly. Most people who do not like the cone are the same people who like to scramble around, running back and forth and then just hitting a button to a receiver who is deep.

The folks who enjoy pre-reading the defense, and playing more of a sim style football seem to like the cone.

This obviously isn't every case, but it does tend to be the pattern I've found since 06's release.

Yeah but with the amount of pressure that can be put on you via the blitz,is just rediculious..hope its not as easy to blitz on the new madden,then the cone would be cool to use. i think you are at a dis advantage playing with it,on current madden,cuz the blitz is just too easy to pull off..or maybe i am too old to react to the blitz happy people online?......anyways it is the only game in town....so to each his own....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Pro

Wilk5280's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghm125
Yeah but with the amount of pressure that can be put on you via the blitz,is just rediculious..hope its not as easy to blitz on the new madden,then the cone would be cool to use. i think you are at a dis advantage playing with it,on current madden,cuz the blitz is just too easy to pull off..or maybe i am too old to react to the blitz happy people online?......anyways it is the only game in town....so to each his own....

If you know or have a feeling that the D is blitzing, hot route a rb or two to pass block, and send a receiver on a short quick slant / fade / hitch etc. It's still easy to beat the blitz while using the cone. You can also send a rb out into the flats which is also very succesful in beating the blitz.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #7
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Stanley

You definetely have a good point about the cone preventing some people who just run and run and run with the QB. On the other hand though, I thought it makes scrambling with the QB a little TOO difficult at times, as you have to run, then try to move the cone, or click a button, and then throw it. If you ever watch Vick or McNabb or Brooks, they run and throw it as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

Again, I just think the system is a bit too mechanical right now. Decent idea, but just needs to be better realized in my opinion...

Old 11-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

It's a mixed bag IMO. I wouldn't consider people who do not use it non-sim. There are too many variables to just take one thing and say well if people don't use this they are not sim. I hope it is easier to get some pressure on the QB if they are not going to make the cone mandatory. Hell they put random gap blitzes in the game this year and that messes up alot of stuff IMO. Makes guys just run into the back of people when they don't have to. In the end if you want the blitz to work you gotta take control of it, user/manual blitz.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »