Home

real for the sake of real

This is a discussion on real for the sake of real within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
real for the sake of real

Ther are people complaining about no challenges in this game. The big argument i keep reading is that people want it because it's in the NFL, so it has to be in the video game. Some things just don't translate to the digital game. real for the sake of real isn't always the best choice.

do you want inadvertant whistles and non-football injuries too? I could see the topics everywhere complaining about how it's BS cause your starting QB is missing 4 games from throwing out his back raking leaves (or tripping over the dog - Jake Plummer) or how you got "cheesed" online because an inadvertant whistle kept you from returning a pick for a td.

I know, you're lineman can blow a block because he thought it was a different play. Maybe your headset can have technical difficulty and you can't get the play and have to burn a timeout. here's a good one: on a critical 3rd down your best RB is on the sideline because his shoe came off the last play or his chin strap is broken.

I think you get the point. not everything needs to be implemented. gameplay is far more important than this Mickey Mouse crap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #2

OVR: 34
Re: real for the sake of real

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandVizier
Ther are people complaining about no challenges in this game. The big argument i keep reading is that people want it because it's in the NFL, so it has to be in the video game. Some things just don't translate to the digital game. real for the sake of real isn't always the best choice.

do you want inadvertant whistles and non-football injuries too? I could see the topics everywhere complaining about how it's BS cause your starting QB is missing 4 games from throwing out his back raking leaves (or tripping over the dog - Jake Plummer) or how you got "cheesed" online because an inadvertant whistle kept you from returning a pick for a td.

I know, you're lineman can blow a block because he thought it was a different play. Maybe your headset can have technical difficulty and you can't get the play and have to burn a timeout. here's a good one: on a critical 3rd down your best RB is on the sideline because his shoe came off the last play or his chin strap is broken.

I think you get the point. not everything needs to be implemented. gameplay is far more important than this Mickey Mouse crap.
Good Point. Challenges are rooted in human failure. The ref doesn't see something and misses the call. The coach thinks he sees it differently and makes the challenge. While having the challenge system in the game is a nice novelty, it isn't grounded. It's basicly driven how it is programmed in the game.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
Good Point. Challenges are rooted in human failure. The ref doesn't see something and misses the call. The coach thinks he sees it differently and makes the challenge. While having the challenge system in the game is a nice novelty, it isn't grounded. It's basicly driven how it is programmed in the game.

and it ALWAYS goes the CPU's way. and a more important play always needs a challenge once you're out of them.

what about a more useful feature like tv timeout. it has a huge effect on game because the extra rest players get and the break in momentum it causes.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Botched snaps also falls under this category....it would be annoying at the wrong times but, I dunno, I reckon they would look pretty cool.

Where is the line drawn? Do we not have fumbles anymore because they're due to duman error? Or dropped passes due to human error? Simulating human error is important in keeping a realistic feel.

I couldn't care less about not having the current challenge system anymore, but I still want them to refine an ultra realistic one.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Botched snaps also falls under this category....it would be annoying at the wrong times but, I dunno, I reckon they would look pretty cool.

Where is the line drawn? Do we not have fumbles anymore because they're due to duman error? Or dropped passes due to human error? Simulating human error is important in keeping a realistic feel.

I couldn't care less about not having the current challenge system anymore, but I still want them to refine an ultra realistic one.
I think in the gameplay itself, athletes human error is definitely important because it adds to the sense of realism.

Referee error though is simply annoying, and it never really added anything to the game for me.

The biggest difference is, some players fumble because of their skills or weather conditions or something along those lines, so fumbles, bad passes, botched snaps and those things are tied into a players ratings and it seperates the stars from the chumps.

Bad calls are programmed into the game, when there is no need. The referees don't have ratings in Madden, so there is no reason for bad calls to ever occur, because refs should play a very minor role in a videogame, and botching a call on purpose just so it can be included in the game to challenge it, is just pointless. Fumbling a ball because you decided to run in the rain with a back who has a poor carry rating, that's football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
and it ALWAYS goes the CPU's way. and a more important play always needs a challenge once you're out of them.
That's bull. I have had calls overturned in my favor a respectable amount in the last three versions of Madden.

Here is a little hint as to why people are complaining about the loss of the challenge system. You guys should already know the answer and I know it won't matter because you'll be ready to spew thousands of more defensive excuses. Whether the system is flawed or not in the game or in reality, challenges has become a staple part of the NFL. Madden is the top (and practically sole) dog for software entertainment. If EA can't even bring that feature into their port (said in jest), then their EA sports motto for the billionth time is falsified.

Create-a-Fan is "Mickey Mouse crap". Challenges is not "Mickey Mouse crap". Would you give the same argument if this was 10 years ago and they decided to not have 2-point conversions in this iteration?

Yes, it will be brought back and supposedly "refined" as Tiburon proclaims, but the case I've seen you make regarding this issue lately makes you as defensive as those you claim to want the feature for the sake of wanting "realism".
Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #7
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

what about a more useful feature like tv timeout. it has a huge effect on game because the extra rest players get and the break in momentum it causes.

I take it Grandvisor that you've never played NFL 2K games. Only ppl who seem to think that challenges are a waste and always go the cpus way must have never played the competition. 2K has superb challenge system and it was as random and tense as a real lifes situations. I understand that Madden's challenge system was always subpar but the systems mediocrity should have nothing to do with it not being in a NFL football game. You can come up with all the excuses in the world for it not being "important" as you say but if you spent one time with the comp and saw how it was really sopposed to be done, you'd be singing a diffrent tune right now.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

BTW, in some NFL 2K there are non-football injuries such as catching the flu or food poisoning that make you doubtfull for an upcoming game. Once again, I can tell you have never experienced such menial but true to life features in a football game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »