Home

concern about lack of new ratings

This is a discussion on concern about lack of new ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
concern about lack of new ratings

the faces are amazing (I just wanted to hit that off to begin with), but

the more important thing to notice is that the ratings system has not changed in years! for years I have been complaining that EA seriously needs to add more ratings; esp. intangible ratings like...

-aggressivenes: the higher the rating, the more chances the player takes and the more intensity the player executes his actions with; however can easily make more mistakes if consistency is not equally as high.

-playbook knowledge: the higher the rating, the more plays the human and CPU have available to call, and can execute with consistency. this rating would shift up/down as players signed with new teams, were drafted, traded, and sign a new coordinator/coach

-leadership: the higher the rating, the better others play when on the field with him. off the field, he will not give you a hard time in the locker room, keep morale high during losing straks, and will give you smooth contract negotiations. he'd even take a pay cut if the rating is high enough!

-consistency: the higher the rating the less of a chance his ratings will suddenly go into hot/cold streaks during a game.

-composure: the higher the rating the better his clutch performance will be; esp when playing in playoff games, larger stadiums, and under blitzes

the more variety in ratings there are, the individual you can make a player feel. one problem that is starting to become more apparent in madden is that everybody "feels" exactly the same, aside for some skills of raw talent ratings like speed, cathing, blocking, and tackling.

the truth is, most NFL players are about within a very close range of raw skill. it is the intangibles (not to mention the ability to take injuries) which seperate the great from the avg pro football player. I was hoping EA would take this to the next level with a revamped engine, but it seems that some aspects (like ratings) were ported. even if it means biting from some of ESPN's ratings somewhat, they should expand on this important aspect of gameplay.

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: concern about lack of new ratings

Yeah, Throwing Accuracy needs 3 variables. Short, Intermediate and Long. Defenders need pass rush, break block - broken down into 2 variables break block run/break block pass. But the animation shouldn't just be break block it should be guys penetrating sometimes to, controlling the gap. Then there should be pursuit. We could go on.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Yeah, Throwing Accuracy needs 3 variables. Short, Intermediate and Long. Defenders need pass rush, break block - broken down into 2 variables break block run/break block pass. But the animation shouldn't just be break block it should be guys penetrating sometimes to, controlling the gap. Then there should be pursuit. We could go on.
Absolutely. That's why I don't buy this built from the ground up argument. If the AI was truly rebuilt, adding new ratings would be easy. Heck, they even added the long snapper on the depth charts for the PS2 when it was released. Adding QB accuracy ratings and pass rush ratings would really change the game imo.

Its seems as though every developer didn't have enough time to get their games ready so I am willing to cut them some slack. However, they have only 9 months to get the next version ready and they have a lot of features to add back in along with preparing for the PS3. Seems like too much to do to change the ratings system next year either.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Absolutely. That's why I don't buy this built from the ground up argument. If the AI was truly rebuilt, adding new ratings would be easy. Heck, they even added the long snapper on the depth charts for the PS2 when it was released. Adding QB accuracy ratings and pass rush ratings would really change the game imo.

Its seems as though every developer didn't have enough time to get their games ready so I am willing to cut them some slack. However, they have only 9 months to get the next version ready and they have a lot of features to add back in along with preparing for the PS3. Seems like too much to do to change the ratings system next year either.

Yeah im feeling more and more comfurtalble in not buying anything this year as i love the current Gen 06. Since this one doesnt trully seem like any quantim leap outside of anything graphical it really doesn't warrant me buying anything
Old 11-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Not only do they need more variables, they need to globally lower all the players. To many 95-99 talents in they're games. I understand that some players are guaranteed Pro Bowlers but it gets quite rediculous in 2-3 years down the road in your chise. When you have 5-7 players rated in the high 90s. In my buddies chise, he has about 10 players rated in the 90s after 2 seasons. No way can a team afford to keep that much talent. You should be punished more in the pocketbooks for that much talent.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »