Home

Official Madden NFL 06 XBox 360 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Official Madden NFL 06 XBox 360 Impressions Thread within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #49
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Official Madden NFL 06 XBox 360 Impressions Thread

For those that have played the game, a question in reagrds to the lack of a replay challenge feature-

How many instances were there where you would have used a challenge? Did you see any calls that were obviously wrong, i.e. wr only got one foot down, ball spotted incorrectly, etc.? If so were there a lot of those sort of calls, or just a few?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #50
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
And here lies the problem. Hardcore Madden backers find the game to be amazing. Those that are the hardcore 2K5 backers find the game to be so-so. I'm sure this song and dance will continue for a long time.

As always, I take posters reviews with a grain of salt. Don't get me wrong, they're GREAT to have and I enjoy reading them, but who knows who has an agenda and who doesn't? In the end, it's really all about how I feel about the game when I get a chance to play it.

If I played it I would'nt even say nothing here. My credibility is so shot in this forum I'd be talking out of my ****. No matter what I'd say someone who knows my history would think I had an agenda.

And I agree about the song and dance continuing. There has already been mixed views and the game has'nt even dropped yet. Looks like its gonna be a long....but entertaining winter.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #51
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14

After playing it for a little bit. The graphics really look great. I like the radio announcing. But the gameplay is similar to previous madden games. The default was easy to throw bombs for touchdowns. It seemed like the wide recievers could not drop any passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #52
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I played the game for about an hour today at an EB. I played about two halves, one with the Bears vs. Packers and another with the Falcons vs. Steelers. As everyone has said the graphics are far and away the best a football game has ever seen. It looks outstanding. The sound was way down on the monitor so I really couldn't hear too much. After playing the game I messed around with options to see if you could edit players in any way, and if there is I could not find it. I was also interested in whether players jersey numbers switched when being traded to a team where his number was taken. I traded #11 Drew Bledsoe to the Bears where Jeff Blake also wears 11. When I looked on the Bears roster, much to my suprise Bledsoe was wearing number 7 (although it is retired from the Bears; beggars can't be choosy). I know most people would be playing the game more but I got my share and wandered into the options. All of the sliders are the same from current gen (they all start at 50 and can be moved up or down).

As for gameplay, lets just say if you're looking for things to complain about you will. If you are looking for a fun and terrific looking football game you'll get that too. With only two quarters its hard to give a real impression but what I saw I was very pleased with and was exactly what I expected. The running game felt good to me as did the passing. I played on default All-Pro and could scramble maybe too easily with Vick. The spin animation is a nice touch as it seems to be done more with momentum as you can beat a defender but are not at full speed when turning up field. All-in-all this game is a great base to work from and although it will have many harsh reviews I'm sure, it is the best game of video game football I've ever played.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 11-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #53
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
And here lies the problem. Hardcore Madden backers find the game to be amazing. Those that are the hardcore 2K5 backers find the game to be so-so. I'm sure this song and dance will continue for a long time.
That's it in a nutshell, really.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #54
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
How many instances were there where you would have used a challenge? Did you see any calls that were obviously wrong, i.e. wr only got one foot down, ball spotted incorrectly, etc.? If so were there a lot of those sort of calls, or just a few?

Thanks.
I had the one obvious instance that I mentioned earlier in my Indy/Cincy game, where Harrison fumbles the ball but it's obvious it shouldn't have counted as a catch (an Indy lineman advances the fumble 10yds for the first down). Other than that there were none. Doubt there'd be any ball spot errors; anytime you get close to the first down marker the camera immediately pans up to the scoreboard to show how close you are. It doesn't touch having a chain gang, but I guess at least it's something.

Also wanted to mention that it is refreshing to see overthrown passes (I was playing w/VC off). I don't recall seeing any underthrown passes. I was playing someone and he had a guy wide open streaking deep, and he overthrew him. I had a guy open on an out and cut hard on the directional stick; ended up throwing way wide of the WR. So with VC off there may be more emphasis on stick sensitivity in terms of placing passes.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #55
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I had the one obvious instance that I mentioned earlier in my Indy/Cincy game, where Harrison fumbles the ball but it's obvious it shouldn't have counted as a catch (an Indy lineman advances the fumble 10yds for the first down). Other than that there were none. Doubt there'd be any ball spot errors; anytime you get close to the first down marker the camera immediately pans up to the scoreboard to show how close you are. It doesn't touch having a chain gang, but I guess at least it's something.

Also wanted to mention that it is refreshing to see overthrown passes (I was playing w/VC off). I don't recall seeing any underthrown passes. I was playing someone and he had a guy wide open streaking deep, and he overthrew him. I had a guy open on an out and cut hard on the directional stick; ended up throwing way wide of the WR. So with VC off there may be more emphasis on stick sensitivity in terms of placing passes.
Having overthrown/underthrown balls is a nice. How is the overall running game? Can you give more details on that aspect?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2005, 06:02 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2

I bought CoD2 today and while I was there the EB employees (lol) were playin madden.. they got done w/ steelers vs packers in the snow. when there was a sack there seemed to be a lil slowdown. anyway, they finsihed and i played panthers vs chargers (i was playing w/ some random kid). at panthers... it was good.. hard as hell actually. the toss is amazingly slow haha.. bad news, play calling is the same way for multiplayer as it is for single player. um.. other than that good news. menus are pretty cool too. running is hard haha i'm not sure what difficulty i was playing on though. catching seems a little bit easy though. it's really, really hard to break tackles. um.. stephen davis is a beast.. ummm haha sorry, i'm just tryin to think about it. it's pretty much the same madden gameplay, so dont expect anything different. the graphics are WOW though.. it was on a HDTV btw. you can ask me questions if you want but i only did play one quarter. tackling animations are AWESOME btw.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »