Home

For those playing without an HDTV.

This is a discussion on For those playing without an HDTV. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: For those playing without an HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I've heard alot of differing things but I do know that CRT is great for gaming and much cheaper than LCD/Plasma/DLP too but the sets only go up to 40" and also are insane heavy and big. I have a 30" widescreen CRT HDTV Samsung and it's great for the bedroom.

As for the other technologies, i've heard alot as I said but i've heard from more people that DLP is the way to go for gaming if you want a big time tv. That is what I plan to buy when I get my living room tv.

As for having the HD built in or it being HD ready....basically if you have Comcast or such that can provide you with an HD capable box you don't need the HD tuner built in. Having it built in just allows you to receive over the air HD signals (if it's available in your area) to get the basics like ABC, CBS, NBC, etc for free. I have an HD Tuner built in to my set but since I have Comcast digital HD box it goes unused.
DLP best for gaming..ugh.. not if its a samsung.. I think CRT/LCD are best for gaming personally..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbubbaice
DLP best for gaming..ugh.. not if its a samsung.. I think CRT/LCD are best for gaming personally..
My Samsung seems to have no problems at all in terms of gaming. Same goes for the other 4-5 guys on here who I know have Sammy's (BKrich, Aholbert, SportsorDeath, JohnnyTheSkin). Personally I'd rank them like this for gaming:

1. Plasma - Never seen one for gaming, but I'm going on what I've read. Only reason I didn't buy one was that it didn't seem worth spending that much more when the Samsung DLP picture I was looking at wasn't that much worse.
2. DLP - Love mine. Incredible picture on HD, DVD and gaming.
3. LCD - Good, but not as good picture as DLP on any input IMO. Basically just my opinon comparing my DLP and my Uncle's LCD (gaming and HD).

(CRT is out because I wanted a larger screen than CRT offers)

I keep hearing about this so called lag on the Sammy's, but I've never seen it. That and people claim audio/video lag. Never seen that either.

Sometimes I wonder how people are seeing these things and question what they're doing.

Last edited by mjb2124; 12-01-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:43 AM   #67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
My Samsung seems to have no problems at all in terms of gaming. Same goes for the other 4-5 guys on here who I know have Sammy's (BKrich, Aholbert, SportsorDeath, JohnnyTheSkin). Personally I'd rank them like this for gaming:

1. Plasma - Never seen one for gaming, but I'm going on what I've read. Only reason I didn't buy one was that it didn't seem worth spending that much more when the Samsung DLP picture I was looking at wasn't that much worse.
2. DLP - Love mine. Incredible picture on HD, DVD and gaming.
3. LCD - Good, but not as good picture as DLP on any input IMO. Basically just my opinon comparing my DLP and my Uncle's LCD (gaming and HD).

(CRT is out because I wanted a larger screen than CRT offers)

I keep hearing about this so called lag on the Sammy's, but I've never seen it. That and people claim audio/video lag. Never seen that either.

Sometimes I wonder how people are seeing these things and question what they're doing.

I love the DLP. Great. great picture but I hear rumors about gaming lag. Is that true? I also have a concern with burn in and picture quality getting worst over the years.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #68
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I love the DLP. Great. great picture but I hear rumors about gaming lag. Is that true? I also have a concern with burn in and picture quality getting worst over the years.
I've had 0 gaming lag. I got my Sammy DLP about 7 months ago. Xbox games that I've played and had no problems with include MVP, Madden, Tiger Words, NFL2K5, ESPN MLB Baseball, Fight Night Round 2 and NCAA Football (all the latest releases). I'm not sure where the lag talk is coming from. Seems it might ONLY be a PS2 problem and only occurs in some instances.

There's no burn in on a DLP so that won't be an issue.

Regarding picture quality degrading over years, it shouldn't. Of course you'll have to replace the bulb every 4-5 years or so. DLP is still a fairly new technology so you'll be hard-pressed to find something (or anything) that states how these TV's respond after 10 years.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #69
Pro

OVR: 8

I played Madden on a Samsung HDTV in Gamestop today. Blow my mine. I have my 360 hook to a 27" analog and it is a big difference. I found a 20" LCD on sale for $350.00 in the Atlanta area. It not HDTV, but if some one could tell would I found a big difference from the anolog set I have now to the no HDTV LCD?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
I don't notice any lag at all.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #71
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
I've had 0 gaming lag. I got my Sammy DLP about 7 months ago. Xbox games that I've played and had no problems with include MVP, Madden, Tiger Words, NFL2K5, ESPN MLB Baseball, Fight Night Round 2 and NCAA Football (all the latest releases). I'm not sure where the lag talk is coming from. Seems it might ONLY be a PS2 problem and only occurs in some instances.

There's no burn in on a DLP so that won't be an issue.

Regarding picture quality degrading over years, it shouldn't. Of course you'll have to replace the bulb every 4-5 years or so. DLP is still a fairly new technology so you'll be hard-pressed to find something (or anything) that states how these TV's respond after 10 years.
I read the bulb should last around 8,000 hours. I dont know should I get a high end crt or a 50 inch dlp. The bulb cost around 200 dollars and they said on some sets the comsumer could change their own bulbs. I just really love the picture and size of those DLP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

Quote:
I read the bulb should last around 8,000 hours. I dont know should I get a high end crt or a 50 inch dlp. The bulb cost around 200 dollars and they said on some sets the comsumer could change their own bulbs. I just really love the picture and size of those DLP.
That's correct from what I've read in terms of bulb life and price. On my set, I can replace it myself. All it takes is removing 1 screw in the back and sliding out the compartment that holds the bulb.

The reason I went with DLP was the size. I wanted a larger screen than what CRT offered.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »