Home

Business ethics and ea (No Flame)

This is a discussion on Business ethics and ea (No Flame) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 18
Business ethics and ea (No Flame)

Obiwan you asked:

"I'm still waiting for you to tell me how the acquisition of exclusive licenses is unethical."

You're stating, as fact, that EA performs unethical business practices, but you haven't listed one legitimate action EA has taken that is unethical by the standard of law."

"Business ethics is the branch of ethics that examines ethical rules and principles within a commercial context; the various moral or ethical problems that can arise in a business setting; and any special duties or obligations that apply to persons who are engaged in commerce. Those who are interested in business ethics examine various kinds of business activities and ask, "Is the conduct ethically right or wrong?"

Business ethics is a form of applied ethics, a branch of philosophy. As such, it takes the ethical concepts and principles developed at a more theoretical, philosophical level, and applies them to specific business situations. Generally speaking, business ethics is a normative discipline, whereby particular ethical standards are assumed and then applied. It makes specific judgements about what is right or wrong, which is to say, it makes claims about what ought to be done or what ought not to be done. While there are some exceptions, business ethicists are usually less concerned with the foundations of ethics (metaethics), or with justifying the most basic ethical principles, and are more concerned with practical problems and applications, and any specific duties that might apply to business relationships."

Ethics is defined as:

"Main Entry: eth·ic
Pronunciation: 'e-thik
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ethik, from Middle French ethique, from Latin ethice, from Greek EthikE, from Ethikos
1 plural but singular or plural in construction : the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation
2 a : a set of moral principles or values b : a theory or system of moral values c plural but singular or plural in construction : the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group d : a guiding philosophy"

Obiwan, you are mis-stating the discussion. The question is not whether what ea did is legally impermissable, the question is whether it can perceived to be ethical or not. Legal and ethical are two different things. Also, no one is saying that acquiring licenses is unethical, what I am saying is that in my opinion the way ea went about acquiring it was unethical, the purpose was unethical, and the way they have conducted themselves in regards to their own fans/consumers can be perceived to be unethical, all in my opinion of course.

Any discussion involving ethics and business should begin with the concepts of capitalism, competition, and monopolies. Without defining each, we should be able to come to an agreement that free competition is the lifes blood of capitalism, if a man or company builds a better mouse trap then the world (consumer) should be allowed to beat a path to his door. I am of the view that ea has intentionally interferred with the ability of the consumer to beat a path to the door of a company that made a better mouse trap. Why? Because technically what they have done is created a monopoly in the sports gaming arena. Sure the law will not recognize that a monopoly exists because the law due to technical nuasenses looks at video gaming as a whole. But one could make a carve out for sports video games based on the economic realities that exist within it. We know that madden, 2k, etc. are system game sellers. They rake in money in the billions of dollars, any genre of gaming that effects every other genre, and shifts the very reason consumers buy one console over the other in my opinion is an individual entity and should be viewed as such.

ea in its business strategy attempted to kill competition with is exclusive license, the reasons for my thinking on this has been mentioned ad nauseam. The intent of their business strategy was unethical, lack of competition committs violence against capitalism.

ea lied to its consumers, this game is supposedly built from the ground up, well, I have played the game, it basically is the same core gameplay with better graphics with the same old problems toned down. They also mislead consumers with the cg screens and video that were advertised way back when, that is false advertising which is unethical. Also, to remove features and modes and to release a half baked product and charge more for it is unconsionable.

The way in which the procured the license (through an open bid..yeah right) was unethical, if you take the situation as I have. Ask yourself one question, how can a bid be open when you know beforehand that ea has the most money and will definitely when the bid? Please answer that. Now if the bid was in fact legit then this point is irrelevant, but again, please answer the question.

Apply the definitions to my discussion, then you will have why I say ea has conducted itself in a unethical fashion. Consumers need to be smarter so that balance and competition can come back to video football gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
Re: Business ethics and ea (No Flame)

Why does this bother you so much? EA did what any company would, 2K got the baseball license and that game is garbage in many people's eyes. Should they be run through the ringer as well? EA has more money, they won the NFL license. They are releasing the NFL games, you can deal with it, or complain every chance you get on a forum. Neither are going to change anything though.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Meatball

OVR:

talk about beatin a dead horse.....

Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Woooossshhhh, this topic has went way over my head. Cant really discuss the business aspects since I know nothing of the sort. I'm sure some may find the topic interesting. However I will say this, I believe somewhere in the future, EA will be investigated for its practices. This is just my gut speaking. Sooner or later, the consumers will open their eyes and realize how much they are getting jerked. The lack of competition has delayed things a bit. Until ppl see that the grass is greener on the other side, they will continue to be unaware.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
ea in its business strategy attempted to kill competition with is exclusive license, the reasons for my thinking on this has been mentioned ad nauseam. The intent of their business strategy was unethical, lack of competition committs violence against capitalism.
The NFL decided it wanted to sell an NFL liscense to the highest bidder. EA was the highest bidder. Blame the NFL for selling the liscense in the first place if you want to pass the blame around. Purchasing it was simply a survival move on the part of EA. If you want to disagree, fine, but you're wrong and just blowing a lot of hot air.
Quote:
ea lied to its consumers, this game is supposedly built from the ground up, well, I have played the game, it basically is the same core gameplay with better graphics with the same old problems toned down. They also mislead consumers with the cg screens and video that were advertised way back when, that is false advertising which is unethical. Also, to remove features and modes and to release a half baked product and charge more for it is unconsionable.
Your definition of being built from the ground up clearly differs from theirs. It's not their fault that you took their words and tried to make them add up to the highest hopes and dreams of your own. Wait till next year if you really want to see what the Madden franchise will be like under the exclusive liscensing agreement.
Quote:
The way in which the procured the license (through an open bid..yeah right) was unethical, if you take the situation as I have. Ask yourself one question, how can a bid be open when you know beforehand that ea has the most money and will definitely when the bid? Please answer that. Now if the bid was in fact legit then this point is irrelevant, but again, please answer the question.
You are clearly a communist. Where's McCarthy when you need him?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Why does this bother you so much? EA did what any company would, 2K got the baseball license and that game is garbage in many people's eyes. Should they be run through the ringer as well? EA has more money, they won the NFL license. They are releasing the NFL games, you can deal with it, or complain every chance you get on a forum. Neither are going to change anything though.

Well, I have been video football gaming (VFG) since wayback, and through force of habit and recreational purposes football games are my number one hobby. I am the kind of guy that buys systems based on football games. I used to always get every version of madden upon release, like most people in this forum. But, my taste leaned toward 2k since 2k2. What upsets me is the lack of concern for where VFG is heading, ea's move has set the genre back 15 years. That does bother, I can't choose football games anymore. It's like when coke tried to get rid of the original coke and came up with that sweeter version, man, people went nuts because coke interferred with what they were used to, then original coke became classic coke etc.. Sure, I have accepted the end result of what has happened, I am a big boy. I just answered Obiwans question as to why I think the way I do. Thanks for not closing it up, Extreme. Your point is well taken.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
The NFL decided it wanted to sell an NFL liscense to the highest bidder. EA was the highest bidder. Blame the NFL for selling the liscense in the first place if you want to pass the blame around. Purchasing it was simply a survival move on the part of EA. If you want to disagree, fine, but you're wrong and just blowing a lot of hot air.

Your definition of being built from the ground up clearly differs from theirs. It's not their fault that you took their words and tried to make them add up to the highest hopes and dreams of your own. Wait till next year if you really want to see what the Madden franchise will be like under the exclusive liscensing agreement.

Quote:
This question makes alot of sense. If it were up for bid and since EA has all the loot, how can any other company even come close?

I for one dont believe that the bid for the NFL was open for one second. Not because of this thread but because its coincedental that the Arena League as well as the NCAA signed with EA as well. People always say blame the NFL but I say how in the blue hell can all 3 leagues offer open bids at the exact same time. And then you gotta consider the fact that NFL 2K was giving the Madden series a run for the money. You're right when you say the deal was a survival move but how it all transpired, the timing is too much a coincedence.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb

LOL! whoa, wait a minute what does communism have to do with my question? I just pose it as a common sense approach to what is considered open as opposed to what is not open. If I say I am going to have a race, Micheal Vick vs Peyton Manning, the winner gets the gold football, who is going to win the race and what is the point of having it to begin with?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »