Home

Passing Game Issues

This is a discussion on Passing Game Issues within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Pro

CptObvious's Arena

OVR: 9
Passing Game Issues

Have a few questions I haven't seen answered anywhere

1) Anyone having alot of completed passes where the receiver OBVIOUSLY only has 1 foot down inbounds? It's especially annoying when the reception decides the outcome of a game (has happened numerous times). It's like EA left the logic in for missed calls, but removed our means of challenging said calls.

2) Has anyone found a way of getting a receiver to catch a pass in stride. It seems no matter how long my QB is set or how well the pass is delivered, my receivers ALWAYS go into some damn catching animation that slows them down considerably. Is there any way to prevent a receiver (I have tried taking control and letting the CPU catch to no avail) from going into needless animations just for a catch. I know EA is proud of the numerous new animations they have programmed into the game, but it seems they have forgotten the simple catch and run one. Its especially irritating when your WR has a step or 2 on the DB's only to see them lose it when they decide to spin around to catch a perfectly placed pass.

3) I cannot seem to find any sprint out / roll out pass plays in the Falcons playbook...anyone have a playbook that contains any of these types of pass plays?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Passing Game Issues

As far as the "catching animation" issue, I know what you mean. I was having a problem on simple 5 - 10 yard crossing routes where everytime my receiver would jump in the air, take a second to get his footing when he landed and then start to run. By that time he was usually hit. The only thing I have found to help with that is to pull back on the left joystick just a tad so that the throw hits the receiver in the gut instead of being a little high. Then, he would catch it in stride. It seems like the 360 version is very sensitive to how you throw the ball. It's not necessarily bad, but it will take a little getting used to.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

1. Just discussed this somewhere else. I have had it happen once in 20 games so far. But it did happen. Somebody claimed they had taken the bad playcalling out, but either they missed this one, or misprogrammed the two feet inbound rule to 1 foot inbounds. If that's the case, even a challenge wouldn't help out because the rule is wrong.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Pro

CptObvious's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack
As far as the "catching animation" issue, I know what you mean. I was having a problem on simple 5 - 10 yard crossing routes where everytime my receiver would jump in the air, take a second to get his footing when he landed and then start to run. By that time he was usually hit. The only thing I have found to help with that is to pull back on the left joystick just a tad so that the throw hits the receiver in the gut instead of being a little high. Then, he would catch it in stride. It seems like the 360 version is very sensitive to how you throw the ball. It's not necessarily bad, but it will take a little getting used to.
Being a 2K vet, I am not very familiar with the precision passing in this version of Madden, does holding UP on the stick cause it to be thrown high at the particular receiver, or led downfield (they are kinda the same, but hopefully you catch my drift). Can anyone give the rundown on the controls for precision passing? I may just be using the passing mechanism incorrectly.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptObvious
Being a 2K vet, I am not very familiar with the precision passing in this version of Madden, does holding UP on the stick cause it to be thrown high at the particular receiver, or led downfield (they are kinda the same, but hopefully you catch my drift). Can anyone give the rundown on the controls for precision passing? I may just be using the passing mechanism incorrectly.
holding up will lead down field on patterns when the reciever is running down field. it will throw the ball high so the receiver will jump or put hands up if he is doing a comeback or crossing pattern. Left and right is self explanitory. Holding down breaks the receivers route short if he is running down field...example ( if your tight end is running a streek down field into a cover 2 and u want 2 throw into the void between the saftey and linebacker..hold down(back)on the left analog stick and away from the safety and the tight end will adjust to the ball being thrown short and away....) it works like a charm...

And i have found out that using the vision cone works 10 times better when using precision passing. You will overthrow easier when u use precision passing without the vision cone....hope that helps
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
Pro

CptObvious's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachboy19
holding up will lead down field on patterns when the reciever is running down field. it will throw the ball high so the receiver will jump or put hands up if he is doing a comeback or crossing pattern. Left and right is self explanitory. Holding down breaks the receivers route short if he is running down field...example ( if your tight end is running a streek down field into a cover 2 and u want 2 throw into the void between the saftey and linebacker..hold down(back)on the left analog stick and away from the safety and the tight end will adjust to the ball being thrown short and away....) it works like a charm...

And i have found out that using the vision cone works 10 times better when using precision passing. You will overthrow easier when u use precision passing without the vision cone....hope that helps
I haven't even tried using the vision cone yet, will give it a run tonight if I get a chance...thanks for the explanations, seems logical.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

The reason that sometimes one foot counts is 2 feet is because since madden is motion capture it gets caught in a animation where your second foot doesn't touch down but the game thinks it does, it has nothing to do with being a missed call programmed into the game and has been happening since madden 2001 and it seems it has yet to be fixed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »