Home

I Was Wrong About Madden 360!

This is a discussion on I Was Wrong About Madden 360! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: I Was Wrong About Madden 360!

I don't know where guys are getting this argument that it is more like the 2k series than madden, because it is not. All I keep seeing is that it is more like 2k, but WHERE? Nobody says where and how it is more like 2k. I play the heck out of Madden 360 for the game it is, but I don't know how people make this comparison, especially those people who gave 2k 1 friggin day and decided it was horrible. How can that crowd say this game is like 2k and they don't even know 2k? Not pointing at anyone in particular in this thread, but I have seen it on several message boards since owning Madden 360. Most of them have been negative posts by people who don't know a damn thing about 2k. They decidely did not like 2k. They do not like the new madden and thus 2k becomes the scapegoat - it plays like 2k. Ohhh snore!!!! Give me a break.

Madden 360 is more madden and NFL FEVER than anything else (the way the blocking and tackling works, the way players run, play call screen, kick meter, the way the players mesh when tackling, QB throwing animations, QB drop animation). I'm not saying that's a bad thing because there are some things that those two games do well.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

I just could not get into the game engine at all. Found no enjoyment what so ever...That coupled with the fact I did not care for the player models caused me get rid of it.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #19
MVP

rock85's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I don't know where guys are getting this argument that it is more like the 2k series than madden, because it is not. All I keep seeing is that it is more like 2k, but WHERE? Nobody says where and how it is more like 2k. I play the heck out of Madden 360 for the game it is, but I don't know how people make this comparison, especially those people who gave 2k 1 friggin day and decided it was horrible. How can that crowd say this game is like 2k and they don't even know 2k? Not pointing at anyone in particular in this thread, but I have seen it on several message boards since owning Madden 360. Most of them have been negative posts by people who don't know a damn thing about 2k. They decidely did not like 2k. They do not like the new madden and thus 2k becomes the scapegoat - it plays like 2k. Ohhh snore!!!! Give me a break.

Madden 360 is more madden and NFL FEVER than anything else (the way the blocking and tackling works, the way players run, play call screen, kick meter, the way the players mesh when tackling, QB throwing animations, QB drop animation). I'm not saying that's a bad thing because there are some things that those two games do well.
LB hit it right on the head this game is more like Fever than NFL2K games
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #20
Rookie

cheddabob7502's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
the more i played it the worse it became..

the suction blocking and tackling is the absolute biggest game killer, sometimes you get sucked in from 4 yards away.i remember a play where i thought i had a sure tackle, and a lineman 3-4 yards away from me hit his tractor beam and my defender turned away from a sure tackle ran past the ball carrier off to the left and into a block, it was absolutely ridiculas.what good is setting up a good defence when you will be sucked into a block from 4 yards away??? let's not forget passing, passing the ball into the flat is a big no-no as your guy will run out of bounds....no gang tackling,insted you get a defender who's looks like he is going to assist in tackling the ballcarrier, but instead he gets sniped in the chest and falls backwards with his arms flailing about, oh did i mention he was hit in the foot...we can also welcome back the good old phantom tackle where you breeze past the ball carriers shirt and he goes down like a sack of hammers. the basics football stuff is all broken, it has moved back at least 5 years...how are all of these things that plagued the previous versions of madden still present in this version of madden and this game was said to be built from the ground up??
it might be fun,but then you start to wish it was a football game, and then you see its limitations...this game is a demo at best and definitely not worth $60....nfl fever was closer to being a more sim style football game than this madden, and gamers killed that game for less.

why should we have to force ourselves to play realisticly?? or find someone willing to play realisticly?? why is it not in the rules,if you do not play a smart game of football you get punished for playing like a pee-wee league squad?? this game should play realisticly, why is realistic play not in the game??
yeah i know people will say you expect to much,and to that i say Ea expects to much($60) for this demo of next years game,a game that everyone thinks will be gr8.... EA has been making madden for over 15 years, and they still haven't figured out how to get rid of suction blocking/tackling, and fix the running(mario) and passing game(super db's,running and catching passes out of bounds), the basic fundamentals of football should be the best thing about this game,instead they are the worse...what indication do we have that this will be fixed next year when it's been 15 years and they still haven't fixed it??f

from the ground up??from the ground up to where??

YOU lost all creditbility once you stated the super db's. Now you prolly don't have the game and are going off other reviews. YEs suction blocking and tackling is a problem but the way you state it makes it sound like it happens every play when the tackler gets sucked by the blocker when chasing a runner. It happens maybe once or twice on a big play. You can also tell that you don't have the game b/c of your last statement. "from the ground up??" Anyone who has played this game can tell its not the same engine. It seems that you are never going to be satisfied and that you just want to piss people off with this RANT you posted. Here is an idea, why don't you actually play Madden360 and see for yourself instead of going off of other's reviews.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #21
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
Because than EA will loose the "simple minded" sports gamers. Which probably make up 85% of all video game sales. When it comes to sports video games, my friends and family love the chuck and duck high scoring games. They don't want to learn all of the controls and they don't want to pick the right plays, they just want to have fun. And really, that is what video games are supposed to be.

Then you have others like myself and almost everyone that visits this site. We want a chess match, we want to feel like we are actually coaching or playing a real professional sport. Unfortunately, the whole "sports thing" didn't pan out for us and we became accountants, doctors, lawyers, financial advisors, programmers, etc. But those competitive juices still run through our veins and may never leave.

Until we find a company that is willing to make less profits in order to make a great game for the sim crowd, we will always have this problem. Until then, we have to just enjoy what we have. Do you really think the Madden faithful really think the Madden game is a simulation of football? I doubt it. They just take it for what it is worth and have fun with it.

Here is what I do and hopefully it can work for you too. Play one game every other day or so and DON'T LOOK FOR GLITCHES. Just play and have fun!

All that being said, I wish the Madden team and the 2K would get together and create two football games. One for casual gamer and one for the sim player. I swear, I would pay $100 each year for a true sim!
Post of the Year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Post of the Year.
I agree with his post, but I do have a problem. Why do they produce NFL Street? And why cross breed some elements of NFL Street, with what is supposed to be the sim game? Even if they develop a more methodical game, that does not necessarily mean they lose the casual gamer. The casual gamer is going to approach the game with the mindset of "fun" regardless of how it plays. They are going to find their fun one way or another. Hell, let's see, Super DB's were introduced in 2005 and are still around in 2006 I don't see any casual gamers crying about how they can't complete the deep passes that they completed in 2001-2004. If anything it is the sim people crying because it is unrealistic for a DB to jump that high when he is 5 yards behind the WR and you can throw the ball out in front of the WR. And still madden is selling more than it ever has. Casual gamers are simply accepting what they are given and having their "fun" with it.

If the "simple minded" sports gamer simply wants to chuck and duck and have high scoring games, then I would assume that Madden 2005 and 2006 should have frustrated the hell out of them since you have super DB's. Should it not? But all I see is madden making more sales than it did the previous year.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #23
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

I see your point LBZrule, and it's valid. But I think jrivera34 is right, it simply isn't possible for EA to produce a game that both groups won't have some issues with.

I think the best we are ever going to get is "realism with a wink".
Old 12-15-2005, 03:19 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddabob7502
YOU lost all creditbility once you stated the super db's. Now you prolly don't have the game and are going off other reviews. YEs suction blocking and tackling is a problem but the way you state it makes it sound like it happens every play when the tackler gets sucked by the blocker when chasing a runner. It happens maybe once or twice on a big play. You can also tell that you don't have the game b/c of your last statement. "from the ground up??" Anyone who has played this game can tell its not the same engine. It seems that you are never going to be satisfied and that you just want to piss people off with this RANT you posted. Here is an idea, why don't you actually play Madden360 and see for yourself instead of going off of other's reviews.

the super db is here,maybe not as rampant as in the xbox and ps2 version, but he is here, and suction blocking happens on everyplay, if not on the line then it happens in the secondary...i've played on the line, and i try to dive left, but the cpu sucks me into an animation that forces me to go right and into a diving OT block, it then forces me to jump over the lineman and fall to the ground and out of the play...i have no control over that and i should.

i never go off of other reviews for any game that i buy(especially sports), if i did, i would never have purchased inside drive, and the nfl fever series... not to mention i haven't read any reviews that mentioned the things that i have stated, they all talk aboput lack of features, and not once did i mention anything about a missing feature.the only feature that the reviewers did not mention,the main one that is missing is football basics(tackling,running,blocking,catching).all my complaints deal with gameplay issues,unless you count football basics as a feature. believe me i have the game, as a matter of fact, it's my second copy because my son likes it so i had to buy it again, the first one was returned.

if this game is built from the ground up, then why are the same problems that plagued the previous maddens still here?? why not make sure the gameplay is as tight as a drum above and before anything else??
i am a sports fan(football,hoops,boxing,baseball in that order), and gaming is one of my hobbies and your right, i never will be satisfied while we(gamers)are fed garbage and are being told that it's prime rib, and with no other football game in town we are screwed. that is a little unsetteling to me when the only offering of one of my favorite sports is a $60 demo. i am not here to piss anyone off, that's not my thing, i simply stated my gameplay experience like everyone else has,but because i was more critical and pointed out flaws and was not willing to accept it i am trying to piss people off?? well i guess the next thing your gonna tell me is that i am out of the club...

what doesn't make sense is you accuse me of tryin' to piss people off when all i did was state what the game does. if that pisses you off, then why doesn't the game piss you off for doing the things that i stated???

Last edited by mr_president; 12-15-2005 at 04:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »