Home

IGN's Best Sports Game of The Year

This is a discussion on IGN's Best Sports Game of The Year within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: IGN's Best Sports Game of The Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Third Hussle, what Rocky said. Besides how many teams in the NFL really use the corner blitz to stop the run? LOL do you think the CB wants to run in against 325-355 lb offensive linemen or 265 lb fullbacks? Of course he does not and for the sake of his field life, most D coordinators would not make that call to stop the run. It's not a run blitz. It's a disguised pass rush on the QB.
Quote:
Yeah a corner blitz will work against an idiot who keeps running the play to the same side. But it will not work against a smart player who constantly runs to both sides mixing it up. In the end you would be simply GUESSING. Second, a smart player will already be a step ahead of you here and will have an good pass play audible setting you up over the top.

If someone is constantly getting beat by outside runs, then they are simply not adjusting. They can call any coverage and make the necessary adjustments to defend the outside run, well except for cover 2 zone perhaps. Blitzing should not be forced. You should blitz because you WANT to, not because you have to (of course this is idealistic btw).
exactly!!

i was wathing my son play tonight, drew brees droped back to throw a pass, he released the ball and it went 30 yards behind him, no one tipped it, there wasn't even a defender anywhere near him..brees released the ball and it went in reverse, and they ruled it a fumble., so michael strahan runs the 30 yards ,recovers the ball, and runs 60 yards for the score....it was so bad my wife asked if this was a demo as my son laughed at it while watching the replay???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #42
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Third Hussle, what Rocky said. Besides how many teams in the NFL really use the corner blitz to stop the run? LOL do you think the CB wants to run in against 325-355 lb offensive linemen or 265 lb fullbacks? Of course he does not and for the sake of his field life, most D coordinators would not make that call to stop the run. It's not a run blitz. It's a disguised pass rush on the QB.
I concur.... I never seen this called on 1st or 2nd down in the NFL.... a CB Blitz is mostly used to rush/sack the QB.... not for run stopping.....

Moreover.... I would think the current madden AI gameplay wouldn't allow for the user repeat money plays more than 3 times in a game.... maybe in '02 or '03.... but to be successful with the same play shouldn't happen in '06.......
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Yeah a corner blitz will work against an idiot who keeps running the play to the same side. But it will not work against a smart player who constantly runs to both sides mixing it up. In the end you would be simply GUESSING. Second, a smart player will already be a step ahead of you here and will have an good pass play audible setting you up over the top.
Isn't guessing what its really all about..Not so much BLIND guessing but you will never know exactly what your opponent is running...You only know tendancies but outside of that all your doing is guessing unless you have ESP.

A corner blitz is just one of many ways to stop an outside run...I mean what about a basic 4-3, 3-4 or 4-6..hell call any play outta that...control the safety and just read the play...whats so hard about that ?...Some of you guys act like stopping an outside run is difficult...I've been stuffing that from day one w/o a blitz. hell you can even control a LB and read the play and react. Oh and get this...you won't get suctioned ifg you play it properly...Sure you sghouldn't have to worry about suction at all but some of you act like that issue prevents you from making plays.

What about controlling the corner and reading run or pass..I mean this aint rocket science there are a ton of things that you can do to stop or offset your opponents tendancies. Playing smart football and outhinking your opponent is just what the game is about..But your sadly mistaken if ya think that there are unstoppables in the game...You can still play fundamental football and stop runs, passes etc as long as your playcalling is on point.

BTW..there are double corner blitzes in the game in the 3-3-5 defensive playbook outta zone coverage...I'm still a bit confused on how someone could really complain that stopping the outside run is difficult...
Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 AM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
I concur.... I never seen this called on 1st or 2nd down in the NFL.... a CB Blitz is mostly used to rush/sack the QB.... not for run stopping.....

Moreover.... I would think the current madden AI gameplay wouldn't allow for the user repeat money plays more than 3 times in a game.... maybe in '02 or '03.... but to be successful with the same play shouldn't happen in '06.......
A corner blitz is every bit as important to stopping the run as it would be to put pressure on the QB..remember..its about tendancies and what plays stop what your opponent is doing. 9 times outta 10 if I call a CB blitz I already know your tendancy is to run a sweep right into my corner crashing in.

While I have not played pro ball..I can say as a former D1-A cornerback I took on plenty of lineman trying to stop the run...You can't be serious in noting that a corner is not gonna want to try and make plays...Additionally an effective corner blitz will blow the play up before the hogs get out front anyway...I mean do you giuys think that some lil 160 lb corner is just gonna stand there and wait for the convoy of linement to meet him?..hell naw..he's gonna get into the backfielfd and make the play or take out the lead blocker who will often be a FB..Not a OL...The LB's will generally deal with the OL.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:58 AM   #45
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HussleMan
A corner blitz is every bit as important to stopping the run as it would be to put pressure on the QB..remember..its about tendancies and what plays stop what your opponent is doing. 9 times outta 10 if I call a CB blitz I already know your tendancy is to run a sweep right into my corner crashing in.
I will of course differ to your recommendation play to stop an opponents tendencies in a football video game... I for one use the goal-line "D" on some mid-field short yardage plays... assuming the AI will run 80-90% of the time.... I don't know if this is cheese b/c I don't play on-line... however, the AI has burned me over the top....
Quote:
While I have not played pro ball..I can say as a former D1-A cornerback I took on plenty of lineman trying to stop the run...You can't be serious in noting that a corner is not gonna want to try and make plays...Additionally an effective corner blitz will blow the play up before the hogs get out front anyway...I mean do you giuys think that some lil 160 lb corner is just gonna stand there and wait for the convoy of linement to meet him?..hell naw..he's gonna get into the backfielfd and make the play or take out the lead blocker who will often be a FB..Not a OL...The LB's will generally deal with the OL.
you are correct.... the CB should/will always want to make a play... but his primary function is to cover the WR.... if he gets caught by PA or flea-flicker... he's the goat... But if the D-coordinator calls the CB Blitz.... It's b/c it's a pass situation to the QB's blind/back side... and CB should/will not be accounted for by a blocking FB or RB.....

Last edited by xrams; 01-04-2006 at 02:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Hussle you are not getting what is being said. I did not say that a CB Blitz does not work in madden. I am not saying do not take control of the CB and try to stop it. What I am saying is a corner blitz is not a REAL NFL method for stopping the run. I played Division I ball and coached linebackers too and never once did our coach, the defensive coaches we played against use a CB blitz because they were struggling to stop the run. What they did do though is mix up their fronts and alignments.

I never said a corner does not want to make plays. Stop twisting my argument. I said a CB does not want to go up against 345-355lb offensive linemen and 265lb - 270 lb FB's. Name me one CB that wants to go up against those guys. I never said the CB does not go up against those guys, I simply said no corner WANTS to.

Onto guessing. Yes, guessing is a part of it, but you would be Blind guessing by using a particular play to stop X. Almost like Rock, Paper, Scissors. Most of the coordinators I know and played with, never used 1 play to stop 1 play. It wasn't about plays for us/them. It was about fronts and alignments and then making the necessary adjustments out of them. So instead of calling a corner blitz to stop the run, we would just get in a Bear front and blitz the adjuster. That way we still have coverage on the WR on the outside, we simply do not have help for the CB deep, but we expect that CB to be able to handle that WR. And that's a much more sound plan in my eyes than saying ohhh we will use CB blitz to stop this, Hog Buck Blitz to stop that ect. That's blind guessing to me.

Quote:
A corner blitz is just one of many ways to stop an outside run...I mean what about a basic 4-3, 3-4 or 4-6..hell call any play outta that...control the safety and just read the play...whats so hard about that ?...Some of you guys act like stopping an outside run is difficult...I've been stuffing that from day one w/o a blitz. hell you can even control a LB and read the play and react. Oh and get this...you won't get suctioned ifg you play it properly...Sure you sghouldn't have to worry about suction at all but some of you act like that issue prevents you from making plays.
In a video game it is, but not in the NFL or even from my experience in Division 1 and coaching LB's. yeah yeah, I know about 4-3, 3-4 and 46. Nothing hard about that and I never said stopping the outside run is difficult. You can check my league stats over at leaguedaddy, OFL is the league, I got the Bengals. I'm giving up less that 50 rushing per game so it's not a problem for me. And no I never blitz to stop it. But this part about the LB, I'd like to see you or anyone try it lined up in the default position and not move the linebacker off the line a good 8 to 10 yards. And alot of times suction DOES prevent the user from making plays.

Quote:
mean this aint rocket science there are a ton of things that you can do to stop or offset your opponents tendancies. Playing smart football and outhinking your opponent is just what the game is about..But your sadly mistaken if ya think that there are unstoppables in the game...You can still play fundamental football and stop runs, passes etc as long as your playcalling is on point.
Really I didn't know that playing smart football and outthinking your opponent is what football is about. Whether that is what madden is about is debateable. Notice I make a distinction here between madden and real football Actually there are unstoppables in this game but I'm not going to post them.

Quote:
BTW..there are double corner blitzes in the game in the 3-3-5 defensive playbook outta zone coverage...I'm still a bit confused on how someone could really complain that stopping the outside run is difficult...
You are missing the point. We know the playbook. But actually you just proved one of my points. See your reasoning just on this play alone is what gets me. I'm not saying you do it, but the reasoning here leads me to the conclusion that you would use a personnel set that should NOT work against certain offensive formations just to stop one play (although it does work). But that's not your fault, that's the way the game was developed. Is this smart football? NO. But it is being smart in Madden and I won't fault anyone for that.

Last edited by LBzrule; 01-04-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
the CB should/will always want to make a play... but his primary function is to cover the WR.... ..
Now wouldn't that all depend on if the CB's responsibility consists of man or zone ???...DB's just don't play WR's...They have specific responsibilities that often include man, zone and specific assignments such as blitzes.

Moreover as a DB you have to read your pass/run keys starting with the WR ands working in to the TE or last player on the line...Those keys often tell you what you can and cannot do or more appropriately determine how you react afte the ball is snapped. Thats only part of the equation...the other part is good film study and being familiar with what sets your opponent runs and the tendancies outta that set. DB's do alot more than cover.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Now wouldn't that all depend on if the CB's responsibility consists of man or zone ???...DB's just don't play WR's...They have specific responsibilities that often include man, zone and specific assignments such as blitzes.

Moreover as a DB you have to read your pass/run keys starting with the WR ands working in to the TE or last player on the line...Those keys often tell you what you can and cannot do or more appropriately determine how you react afte the ball is snapped. Thats only part of the equation...the other part is good film study and being familiar with what sets your opponent runs and the tendancies outta that set. DB's do alot more than cover.

All of that is true. I'll let him respond to it though, because I think your interpretation of what he said is a forced one
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »