Home

Any hints on Punt Returns?

This is a discussion on Any hints on Punt Returns? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #1

OVR: 34
Any hints on Punt Returns?

Is there a way to get your guys to turn around and block during a punt return? This has got to be the most frustrating thing. My guys have their backs to the defense and just look at me. The opposing team runs right by them and I am having to settle for a fair catch 99.9% of the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Any hints on Punt Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
Is there a way to get your guys to turn around and block during a punt return? This has got to be the most frustrating thing. My guys have their backs to the defense and just look at me. The opposing team runs right by them and I am having to settle for a fair catch 99.9% of the time.
Utilize the 2 up backs by manually moving them back...Then manually controll one of the up backs and make sure you run him in fron of your return man or in the path of the 1st defender downfield...Your manually controlled up back should engage the 1st defender...That should help you get a few positive yards...Good luck.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #3

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HussleMan
Utilize the 2 up backs by manually moving them back...Then manually controll one of the up backs and make sure you run him in fron of your return man or in the path of the 1st defender downfield...Your manually controlled up back should engage the 1st defender...That should help you get a few positive yards...Good luck.
Thanks man, I'll give it a try.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
Thanks man, I'll give it a try.
Also..If you see a defender within 10 yards and he is unblocked..Don't even try and catch the ball and run..Just fair catch it cause you will get blown up and fumble more often than not.

The word is EA made the punt return work the way it does to give people incentive to actually punt the ball. I have my most success getting one player back and manually slowing down the first defender downfield..That will allow you to at least catch the ball and have a chance to get a few yards upfield
Old 01-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Also..If you see a defender within 10 yards and he is unblocked..Don't even try and catch the ball and run..Just fair catch it cause you will get blown up and fumble more often than not.

The word is EA made the punt return work the way it does to give people incentive to actually punt the ball. I have my most success getting one player back and manually slowing down the first defender downfield..That will allow you to at least catch the ball and have a chance to get a few yards upfield
Another thing that helps is to call Punt Block on every punt. The CPU will audible into Max Protect, and then you audible into a Normal Punt return. This will at least give you a chance sometimes. I find it to work pretty well.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvarr
Another thing that helps is to call Punt Block on every punt. The CPU will audible into Max Protect, and then you audible into a Normal Punt return. This will at least give you a chance sometimes. I find it to work pretty well.
wouldn't that be a waste of an audible...???...Seems like alot of nonsense just to get a few extra yards
Old 01-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
wouldn't that be a waste of an audible...???...Seems like alot of nonsense just to get a few extra yards

Can you really waste an audible? I don't know about anybody else, but I like to at least get a chance to return punts.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
Can you really waste an audible? I don't know about anybody else, but I like to at least get a chance to return punts.
I deem it worth it. Mainly because I rarely use the audibles where the formation completely changes. When I audible, it is the the Analog Stick audibles (those change the play, but keep the same formation), so those are unaffected by the R-Trigger Audible (which is where my Punt Return audible is).
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »