Home

EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

This is a discussion on EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
EA bought the exclusive rights because if they didn't SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. Why is that so difficult for some of you to grasp? If EA didn't get the license, they go from selling 2 million+ copies of Madden every year to selling none at all. Surely you guys can see why EA couldn't allow that to happen?
I can see why they would pick up the exclusive, but I DOUBT them not picking it up means they would sell NONE. As long as they still have Madden on it some people would still buy it, just like they did before EA had the license. Would they sell as many? Most likely not. But to say they would sell none, especially because of the VALUE that an entire generation has placed on this game is perhaps overstating the case a little bit.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I can see why they would pick up the exclusive, but I DOUBT them not picking it up means they would sell NONE. As long as they still have Madden on it some people would still buy it, just like they did before EA had the license. Would they sell as many? Most likely not. But to say they would sell none, especially because of the VALUE that an entire generation has placed on this game is perhaps overstating the case a little bit.
Perhaps so, but imo it's unlikely EA would have released a pro fb game at all in 2005 if TT had been the ones to secure the license.

One other thing - the 2.5 million figure quoted above is for the month of August, not total sales to date. That figure beat the old record by something like 300,000 units, and it represents the best launch sales for Madden in the history of the series.

For more on this, see the following thread:

Madden 2006 sold 2.5 million copies in August
Old 02-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Perhaps so, but imo it's unlikely EA would have released a pro fb game at all in 2005 if TT had been the ones to secure the license.

One other thing - the 2.5 million figure quoted above is for the month of August, not total sales to date. That figure beat the old record by something like 300,000 units, and it represents the best launch sales for Madden in the history of the series.

For more on this, see the following thread:

Madden 2006 sold 2.5 million copies in August

Actually I think EA would have released a game in 2005 regardless of who has the license. It would have been smart business to do so too. They are the leading seller year in and year out, even before exclusivity. Thus the regression of consumers from their game would be alot slower. They would be fortunate to not be in the same position as a Take Two, MS or whoever else got the license. EA would not be charged with the task of trying to build and keep a fanbase. They already had it and still would have a significant portion of it even a year afterwards. Yeah, I think some regression would occur, but not at the rate that it would for those who were not the top seller or even close to the numbers of the top seller.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

of course it was a good business move for EA. EA hasn't shown it can make major changes/improvements to its games (despite the fact that they have more resources than anyone else). The only games that EA has ever created that pushed the technology envelope is the burnout series (since it was from another developer criterion).

EA has guaranteed huge sales numbers by keeping the same engine for another 10 years while making the same stale game with all the old gameflaws from 10 years ago (suction blocking, speed is all that matters, etc).

I for one will never buy an EA product new again. They won't get my money, but I am in the vast minority.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 32

I still don't see how EA makes money from the NFL and ESPN deals. Time will tell.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
EA bought the exclusive rights because if they didn't SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE. Why is that so difficult for some of you to grasp? If EA didn't get the license, they go from selling 2 million+ copies of Madden every year to selling none at all. Surely you guys can see why EA couldn't allow that to happen?
that's not how i thought it went down. someone correct me if im wrong but i though Ea approached the NFL to secure the license. in other words the NFL didnt decide to just one day put the license up on ebay for the highest bidder. EA came with an extremely high offer and the nfl took it, not the other way around.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike586corleone
that's not how i thought it went down. someone correct me if im wrong but i though Ea approached the NFL to secure the license. in other words the NFL didnt decide to just one day put the license up on ebay for the highest bidder. EA came with an extremely high offer and the nfl took it, not the other way around.
In point of fact EA had apparently tried to talk the NFL into signing an exclusive deal in the past, but had always been rebuffed. For reasons known only to the league, they changed their mind on the subject:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/comm...column_gaming/

Quote:
It would, in fact, be the NFL's fault should that come to pass. Despite conspiracy theories that have sprouted up on various message boards, the league put out a call for bids this spring for the exclusive license. Among those bidders was Take Two.

Last edited by coogrfan; 02-03-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
In point of fact EA had apparently tried to talk the NFL into signing an exclusive deal in the past, but had always been rebuffed. For reasons known only to the league, they changed their mind on the subject:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/comm...column_gaming/
I dont blame EA but the only party that made out was the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »