Home

EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

This is a discussion on EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6143587.html

EA profits down 31% in the 4th quarter. How can they make a profit from the NFL and ESPN deals.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: EA sells the same amount of copies of Madden without competion from 2K football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
How can they make a profit from the NFL and ESPN deals.
Long-term projections might be favorable. I'm sure they aren't as concerned about recent quarters. Who knows how it will shape out though? Obviously it doesn't look good right now, but I'm also not sure how the contract with the NFL was structured.

It's going to be interesting because EA and Take-Two are both doing terrible right now. They both missed their projected numbers by a wide margin. Of course, it's easier for EA to handle than Take-Two, but it's going to be interesting nonetheless.

Last edited by mjb2124; 02-03-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #19
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Hi, I'm Troy McGlore, you may know me from other Madden debates, such as "Wow, Madden is terrible", "Making Excuses", "Too Much Negativity" and "Is next year always the break out year for EA?".

Meh...madden selling the same number of units does'nt change a damn thing. I highly doubt EA cares if they sold less. I feel like they only erased the comp because they knew what would of eventually happened. Does'nt matter what they sell now, nobody else will get on in the action regardless. This is why I hope TT releases a legends game. I'm willing to bet anyone on here that if a 2K football came out, Madden's numbers would dwindle down even if they're the only NFL game in town. I'm still under the impression that many ppl have given up on the series and it would take a MVP-esq efford from EA to spark interest back into the comatose series.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Hi, I'm Troy McGlore, you may know me from other Madden debates, such as "Wow, Madden is terrible", "Making Excuses", "Too Much Negativity" and "Is next year always the break out year for EA?".

Meh...madden selling the same number of units does'nt change a damn thing. I highly doubt EA cares if they sold less. I feel like they only erased the comp because they knew what would of eventually happened. Does'nt matter what they sell now, nobody else will get on in the action regardless. This is why I hope TT releases a legends game. I'm willing to bet anyone on here that if a 2K football came out, Madden's numbers would dwindle down even if they're the only NFL game in town. I'm still under the impression that many ppl have given up on the series and it would take a MVP-esq efford from EA to spark interest back into the comatose series.

I'm no maddenite, but your argument here seems to be more particular than it first leads on. You say you are under the impression that many people have given up on the series, but your first sentence nullifies that. The game has sold as much as it ever has, even more this year. How can you have that impression if that is true? Does not sound like people giving up to me. Sounds more like Troy. Second, you draw a generalization from it, namely that in order to spark interest back into the series then it would take an MVP-esq effort. Are you speaking about all of those people who purchased the game this year that made it sell more than it ever has interest? or are you actually speaking in particular about what EA/Tiburon would need to do to spark the interest of Troy McGlore?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Maybe EA eliminated the competition just because they got sick of all the "ESPN 2k series is better than Madden" talk in the OS forums and it had nothing to do with money

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #22
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I could care less how many copies they sold. I care about the quality of the games so I've been pretty upset due to the disaster called Madden 360.

Luckily I still had Madden 06 and NFL2K4 and 5.

On a side note they(Gamespot) are taking Madden 07 pre-orders now
Old 02-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #23
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm no maddenite, but your argument here seems to be more particular than it first leads on. You say you are under the impression that many people have given up on the series, but your first sentence nullifies that. The game has sold as much as it ever has, even more this year. How can you have that impression if that is true? Does not sound like people giving up to me. Sounds more like Troy. Second, you draw a generalization from it, namely that in order to spark interest back into the series then it would take an MVP-esq effort. Are you speaking about all of those people who purchased the game this year that made it sell more than it ever has interest? or are you actually speaking in particular about what EA/Tiburon would need to do to spark the interest of Troy McGlore?

I'm basing it off the title of the thread. If the same number of copies were sold this year as it was in the previous year, that means that EA having the licence did nothing to improve their sells. And if being the only NFL game in town does nothing, then that tells me that alot of disgruntled ppl have given up on the series. You would of expected the number of copies sold to at least double since they are the only NFL game but that does'nt seem to be the case. Old 2Kers as well as returning Madden fans would of picked this up. But from what you're saying, Madden actually had its best selling last year? Then how come the thread says diffrently?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #24
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
I'm basing it off the title of the thread. If the same number of copies were sold this year as it was in the previous year, that means that EA having the licence did nothing to improve their sells. And if being the only NFL game in town does nothing, then that tells me that alot of disgruntled ppl have given up on the series. You would of expected the number of copies sold to at least double since they are the only NFL game but that does'nt seem to be the case. Old 2Kers as well as returning Madden fans would of picked this up. But from what you're saying, Madden actually had its best selling last year? Then how come the thread says diffrently?
Short answer - the guy who started this thread basically pulled his figures out of his ...

As I previously posted, Madden 06 actually broke the previous record for first month sales. The NPD figures for 2005 show that M '06 for the PS2 was the top-selling console game of 2005 (not bad for a game that wasn't available until August), and that M '06 for the Xbox came in at #4 overall. Call me crazy, but those kind of sales figures don't make me think "alot of disgruntled ppl have given up on the series." EA seems to be doing just fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_in_video_gaming

Last edited by coogrfan; 02-03-2006 at 08:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »