Home

Madden 07 Hands on preview

This is a discussion on Madden 07 Hands on preview within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden 07 Hands on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
ODogg, you just validated my point. Per my response to the previous post, which stated the NFL was pursuing a buyer for the Lic, you just validated that EA was the aggressor. In addition, looking at the light down the tunnel and 2K's very strong year, EA made it happen.
My point was never that EA wasn't the aggressor, my point is companies pursue these deals all the time, why wouldn't they, they're good for business. My first point was that this deal had nothing to do with 2K5 playing a good game. And my second point was that EA is not to blame because the NFL are the ones who accepted...

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #34
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

I'll wait until a hardcore gamer plays the game all he did was talk about the mini games.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #35
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
EA was pursuing the license before 2K5's strong year though. And your arguement is also weak because look at the NHL. EA also pursued that license as well and it didn't happen because NHL decided not grant the license, the same as the NFL could have done. The NFL is the only one to blame here, not EA.

I do agree though I would have loved to see NFL2K6 & NFL2K7!
The NFL definitely needs to share the blame, obviously. But whatever EA offered must've been way more than anything they could ever get from the five players combined (EA, VC, 989, MS, Midway - although I'm guessing 989 and MS dropped out the previous year). And when you're talking about astronomical figures, I don't see these companies being able to stand on principle.

Unfortunately it'll likely only be a matter of time before EA buys out the NBA/MLB/NHL unless something dramatic happens. As far as the preview goes, I wouldn't put too much stock in it - it's still early. I do think people should be concerned that EA seems to splitting it's resources so much, it's going to affect the end product. I'm looking forward to seeing the G4 show this evening although I know they'll pretty much be on their knees the whole time praising the game. Should get some movies from *somebody* in the next couple days.

Remember the good ole' days when we got plenty of movies BEFORE E3 would start? No competition sucks hard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
My point was never that EA wasn't the aggressor, my point is companies pursue these deals all the time, why wouldn't they, they're good for business. My first point was that this deal had nothing to do with 2K5 playing a good game. And my second point was that EA is not to blame because the NFL are the ones who accepted...

I have a few questions for you ODogg. If there was no competition would EA buy the lic.? What are some reasons other than the competition for spending millions of dollars to buy the NFL Players Lic.? oh and by the way, exclusive purchase.

Exclusive deals are not good for business by the way. Just check out the reasoning behind the deregulation of telephone and cable TV industries based on so call exclusive deals. The consumer always suffers on these types of deals.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
I have a few questions for you ODogg. If there was no competition would EA buy the lic.? What are some reasons other than the competition for spending millions of dollars to buy the NFL Players Lic.? oh and by the way, exclusive purchase.
Probably not but for NCAA there was no competition either and they secured that license, in addition to Arena football. But yes, the point of doing so is to eliminate competition in general.

Quote:
Exclusive deals are not good for business by the way. Just check out the reasoning behind the deregulation of telephone and cable TV industries based on so call exclusive deals. The consumer always suffers on these types of deals.
I don't like it either from a consumer point of view, however I don't take EA to the mat for doing what is a smart business move and neither should anyone else. If there is any anger to be had here it should be directed at the NFL as they are the ones who 'sold us down the river' so to speak.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Can we please get back on topic and discuss the preview. All this license talk is VERY old and has been discussed to death. Constantely harping on it isn't going to change the hand that we've been dealt.

Let's not derail another thread into a 2K vs EA pissing match that seem to occur all to often. Many people can't discuss this without having some sort of blatant fanboyism.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Probably not but for NCAA there was no competition either and they secured that license, in addition to Arena football. But yes, the point of doing so is to eliminate competition in general.

I don't like it either from a consumer point of view, however I don't take EA to the mat for doing what is a smart business move and neither should anyone else. If there is any anger to be had here it should be directed at the NFL as they are the ones who 'sold us down the river' so to speak.
Yes the NFL could have turned it down. But as stated, the offer must have been one they could not have refused!! ha
Old 05-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The NFL definitely needs to share the blame, obviously. But whatever EA offered must've been way more than anything they could ever get from the five players combined (EA, VC, 989, MS, Midway - although I'm guessing 989 and MS dropped out the previous year). And when you're talking about astronomical figures, I don't see these companies being able to stand on principle.

Unfortunately it'll likely only be a matter of time before EA buys out the NBA/MLB/NHL unless something dramatic happens.
I'm not so sure I agree with your last statement above. From what I've read about NFL and last year's Madden I think EA may have realized this deal was not overall such a good idea. Madden did not sell significantly more than the previous year despite the deal, the deal has been uber-costly and EA's stocks have gone down overall. This deal may not become the norm by any means until EA and 2K (which has had it's own share of problems with the MLB license) has had time to study it's effects on their bottom line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »