Home

gang tackling

This is a discussion on gang tackling within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: gang tackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
wow sucks to be you man...enjoy
How does it suck to be me? Im still going to have my 60 dollars in my pocket. 120 if you count ncaa. I'd rather spend time with games I enjoy playing instead of a game I know can and should be better than it is.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
Another problem with Madden's tackling system is the way that the game initiates a tackle. You simply run into the ball carrier with the defender, much like the old days of Genesis or SNES. The result is an unsatisfying canned animation.

The great part about the 2k tackling system was that it relied heavily on the timing of the tackle. You were required to actually press the tackle/dive button upon getting into position. The better you timed the press of the tackle, relative to your defender's position, the better the result. I believe if you just ran into the runnning back, you would just bounce off or he would rub past you. The tackling relied on user control and skill, which in turn makes tackling pretty fun and rewarding.

I believe that Madden's tackling system has to account for the lack of pressing the tackling button by use of suction tackling. It is especially evident when getting tackled by the CPU that once you get to close you will get sucked into a tackling animation. It all feels very scripted and unrealistic. If you look at tapes of Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk, just to give two well known examples, you will see that they often danced right in front of the defender. With Madden it feels like you have to make a move from 3-5 yards away from the defender to avoid the suction tackling. I think that if Madden required a tackling button press it would allow a lot more realistic looking plays, and it would be a much more rewarding feeling to make a big hit because you know that you have reacted appropriately to the play and timed up the hit perfectly.

Great insight.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3271
How does it suck to be me? Im still going to have my 60 dollars in my pocket. 120 if you count ncaa. I'd rather spend time with games I enjoy playing instead of a game I know can and should be better than it is.
I meant it sucks to be you because everything isn't in the game 100% like you like it so you write it off entirely. So enjoy having that money in your pocket partner. Fun fun.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 11

don't just adding gang tackling, how about tackling options:lets say your on defense, and you got jamal lewis bearing down on you, and you are controlling the 180 lb db, in football that db is not going to go shoulder to shoulder with him right?? so why not add the option to select a low,medium or high tackle?? you have enough buttons, and you have the technology?? i feel this should be(should have been) there just as much as gang tackling. it would greatly cut down on broken tackles by running backs. i think that was a problem in the 2k series. every tackle was shoulder high making it easy for the ballcarrier to roll right over you with his momentum.

....chances of this happening 0-none.

i won't be purchasing madden this year, the jury is still out on ncaa.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
don't just adding gang tackling, how about tackling options:lets say your on defense, and you got jamal lewis bearing down on you, and you are controlling the 180 lb db, in football that db is not going to go shoulder to shoulder with him right?? so why not add the option to select a low,medium or high tackle?? you have enough buttons, and you have the technology?? i feel this should be(should have been) there just as much as gang tackling. it would greatly cut down on broken tackles by running backs. i think that was a problem in the 2k series. every tackle was shoulder high making it easy for the ballcarrier to roll right over you with his momentum.

....chances of this happening 0-none.

i won't be purchasing madden this year, the jury is still out on ncaa.

I agree with all that. They in a sense need to get rid of the hit stick. Yeah there will be an uproar but let's be honest here. Nobody can keep doing those kind of hits an entire game. That's first of all. Second, no DB is ever going to hit a RB in the open field like that. Bdawk suplexed Ricky Williams once LOL, but he did nothing close to hit stick. Roy Williams will hit but not the neck breaking hit stick style tackles. Hit stick should have fatigue factored in. What I would love to see is some right analog tackling. Just like they have RB moves on the hit stick based on the RB I would like for them to capture the top 100 defenders tackling styles and add it to the right analog stick. They need to capture high, low and wrap tackle for the defenders. High would be up, low would be down, and then wrap would be left and right. Hit stick can be one of the buttons but fatigue needs to be factored in. They need a new tackling system in a bad way IMO. That needs to be their feature for next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #62
Pro

kapo's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I agree with all that. They in a sense need to get rid of the hit stick. Yeah there will be an uproar but let's be honest here. Nobody can keep doing those kind of hits an entire game. That's first of all. Second, no DB is ever going to hit a RB in the open field like that. Bdawk suplexed Ricky Williams once LOL, but he did nothing close to hit stick. Roy Williams will hit but not the neck breaking hit stick style tackles. Hit stick should have fatigue factored in. What I would love to see is some right analog tackling. Just like they have RB moves on the hit stick based on the RB I would like for them to capture the top 100 defenders tackling styles and add it to the right analog stick. They need to capture high, low and wrap tackle for the defenders. High would be up, low would be down, and then wrap would be left and right. Hit stick can be one of the buttons but fatigue needs to be factored in. They need a new tackling system in a bad way IMO. That needs to be their feature for next year.
Now this is a good idea. Lose the hit stick and turn it into a tackle stick, a different direction for a different type of tackle. Ofcourse with the engine they're using it will probably never happen I see us having to just run into the guy for another 5 years.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
GREAT GREAT IDEA LB!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #64
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverYoung

Even NFL players say it's fun because you can do things in Madden that are not possible in the real NFL.
What NFL players say that? I think you making stuff up!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »