Home

PackWolf's Madden Impressions from E3

This is a discussion on PackWolf's Madden Impressions from E3 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #41
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: PackWolf's Madden Impressions from E3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
No, I hope you're right. You've played it, I haven't. My Gamestop manager said he played it for 30 minutes and he said he loved it. But he also liked last year's 360 version over the Xbox version. I guess my point is that last year's 360 version got so far away from my comfort zone that I can't imagine I could enjoy ANYTHING based off of that horrible engine.

I'll list some things that were horrendous in the 360 version last year and maybe you can comment on whether they are fixed or improved or simply design decisions, albeit bad ones.

1. Bad, bad defensive AI. (You've already said you thought it was better)
2. Receivers not running anything close to their correct routes.
3. Bomb way too effective. Just throwing it up worked a whole lot.
4. No accelerated clock.
5. CPU could No huddle and get to the line 2 seconds after a play ended.
6. Player models looked goofy, especially the way the qbs held the ball.
7. The often mentioned qb being hit as he throws being ruled a fumble.
8. No challenges. (I understand challenges are back)

That's just a few gameplay issues I had. I won't even begin to mention all of the franchise features that were taken out, but I understand a lot of the stuff is being put back in.

Just curious, did you spend any time at all with the Xbox version? Did it feel familiar or have they gutted it in favor of the new engine, too? My Gamestop manager said that he thought both NCAA and MAdden for the Xbox and PS2 were based off of last year's versions and were both very solid and very feature rich.
I played the Xbox version of 07 and it feels exactly like last year's game. For the people who loved that version it will be great...for the people that didnt (like me) its the 360 version or bust. I hated last year's 360 version but from the demo it appears that a large number of the issues you named are fixed.

Recievers ran the correct routes and even came back for balls that were underthrown. The bomb was hard as hell to throw. I probably threw 15-20 fly pattern bombs and completed maybe 2 or 3. Challenges are fixed and the QB fumble thing was fixed.

That leaves a few things that I agree were problems. I want the accelerated clock back and the Qb still holds the ball funny. About the quick No Huddle, I hate that too but after years of playing NFL 2K5 (where the same thing happened) its not a game killer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2006, 12:48 AM   #42
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but the Xbox version and the 360 version were like two entirely different games. It's almost hard to believe they came from the same company. It's hard to put my finger on what I didn't like about the 360 version, but I guess the main thing was I never felt that I had the control over my players like I did with the Xbox version. The defenses didn't seem to react the way they should and I cannot count the times I saw defensive players running AWAY from the play.

I'll definitely give the 360 version a look, but in my opinion if this year's version is based off of last year's 360 version then they've made too many changes in the base gameplay for me to adjust. Just so many awful things that I saw that I don't think they could possibly fix them all.
I felt the exact same way about last years Madden360. I knew it was a bare bones version before I bought it, so I knew what I was getting into in that sense. I gave it a chance because the early word was that it played "different" not necessarily "bad." Unfortunately, IMO it played bad. Like you said I didn't quite feel in control of my player and team. Personally, I love the way the NCAA series plays. The controls just feel much tighter on NCAA... and last years M360 was not even close.

Although I saw a lot of things wrong with last years version, I don't have quite as bad a picture as you. Many of the things that I didn't like, I think could be fixed. I just feel that last years version was a total rush job. One things for sure... Last years debacle has made me change the way I purchase Madden. I have been a first day, "where did you get it," call-every-game-store-in town buyer for many years. Now, I will not buy Madden 07 360 without trying it first via a friend or rental.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:11 AM   #43
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I played the Xbox version of 07 and it feels exactly like last year's game. For the people who loved that version it will be great...for the people that didnt (like me) its the 360 version or bust. I hated last year's 360 version but from the demo it appears that a large number of the issues you named are fixed.

Recievers ran the correct routes and even came back for balls that were underthrown. The bomb was hard as hell to throw. I probably threw 15-20 fly pattern bombs and completed maybe 2 or 3. Challenges are fixed and the QB fumble thing was fixed.

That leaves a few things that I agree were problems. I want the accelerated clock back and the Qb still holds the ball funny. About the quick No Huddle, I hate that too but after years of playing NFL 2K5 (where the same thing happened) its not a game killer.
Thanks for the info on the QB fumbling. Alot of people said it still looked like it was there. I hated that crap.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 12

I certainly will not be buying it as soon as its released without trying it out first either. Personally I dont even see how the Madden team still has a job.

Madden 360 was one of the worst football games I have played in a decade, and if the new 07 is anything remotely like their 06 version, it will be easy to pass up.

Thank goodness NCAA 360 is looking great, I just hope it retains its playability like on current gen and doesnt go the pre-scripted Madden next gen route.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #45
Pro

OVR: 7

I just wish EA would get MVP back and 2K would get the nfl license back and make a NCAA game. Now that would rock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial23
Why? We're 3 months out from release, and from what I've heard, its better than last years.

Plus, I highly doubt you'll "skip" another year.
i have no problem keeping my $60 in my pocket,and 3 months or 4 doesn't seem to make much of a difference to the madden team over at EA sports. i've been playing madden since its first title and based off of ea's track record the game will remain largly the same. the things they really need to work on are the collision detection(it was horrendous last year), the horrible suction blocking(i heard it is still there in a big way),and please add some effin' gang tackling... after 15+ years you'd think it would be there by now?i mean if it's in the game then it's in the game,right?? it seems the only thing that really concers madden players is the graphics and franchise options or "the fluff" as we call it. i could care less if they left all of that stuff out for now and just focused on getting a solid game on the table that really represents the game of football, and that would include gang tackling....but i don't see it happening(i hope i'm wrong), so i'm gonna pass(and i don't mean like the pass from madden 360 that hits the invisible wall and shoots 30 yards in the opposite direction).

Last edited by mr_president; 05-18-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #47
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i have no problem keeping my $60 in my pocket,and 3 months or 4 doesn't seem to make much of a difference to the madden team over at EA sports. i've been playing madden since its first title and based off of ea's track record the game will remain largly the same. the things they really need to work on are the collision detection(it was horrendous last year), the horrible suction blocking(i heard it is still there in a big way),and please add some effin' gang tackling... after 15+ years you'd think it would be there by now?i mean if it's in the game then it's in the game,right?? it seems the only thing that really concers madden players is the graphics and franchise options or "the fluff" as we call it. i could care less if they left all of that stuff out for now and just focused on getting a solid game on the table that really represents the game of football, and that would include gang tackling....but i don't see it happening(i hope i'm wrong), so i'm gonna pass(and i don't mean like the pass from madden 360 that hits the invisible wall and shoots 30 yards in the opposite direction).
Whoever told you suction blocking was there lied. At least not in the 360 version. I checked for this specifically at E3 and its gone.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 2

Gang tackling is not in. 22 men on the field but Maddens "sim" only has 1 on 1 tackles...other defenders just hit an invisible wall and fall down. I thought nextgen meant more than just visuals?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »