Home

Passing Cone

This is a discussion on Passing Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Passing Cone

I agree with Chitown1211. I thought the cone was interesting at first, but I find that it bogs down the passing game with the extra button presses. If anything, EA should make sure that the player ratings are doing their job in seperating the scrub QBs from the top guys.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Old 05-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
I love meaty chics

ac11367's Arena

OVR: 7

I also agree. That extra split second that it takes to press & hold the R2 and then the receiver icon button (on PS2) is all it needs for a nano blitz to reach you, no matter if you're only doing a 1 step or a 3 step drop, and with pass protection sliding inward. Also, if the R2 and receiver buttons are being pressed at the same time, sometimes the QB ends up pump-faking instead of passing. CHitown's idea of just pressing the receiver button twice to simulate QB vision is a very good idea.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #11
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211
The cone IMO is a good idea , but its implemented stupidly.

It makes no sense. The cone as it sits in the game does NOT represent a QB's eyes in anyway shape or form.

1. The fact that it only effects the QB is rediculous. The QB is forced to work with a 10 yard field of vision while every other player on the field can see EVERYTHING. If a QB's vision is reduced to sometimes as little as 5 yards wide than a DB or LB should NOT be able to make insane plays on the ball when their head is completely turned away from the QB.

2. Differences between QB's that are good and average is FAR too great. Even the worst QB in the world can see more than 10 yards wide at a time. When 2 WR's are standing about 5 yards away from each other on the same side of the field a QB should be able to see them both regardless of how bad the QB is. Noones vision is that bad. I dont know how many times I had to move my cone to a reciever who is standing pretty much right next to the reciever I was originally locked on. stupid.

3. Pressing a button takes more time than moving your eyes in real life. Move your eyes from side to side. it takes like .000000000001 seconds to do this. Go outside and look straight ahead. Look from side to side and you will see how wide your FOV truly is. And you will see how easy and how fast you can scan a field in real life. You will then realize how rediclous the cone is implemented for average QB's in this game.

4. A flashlight on the field ? Come on now. A QB's eyes on the field is not anywhere near as noticeable as a bright light spead across the entire field of play. Its rediculous that all 11 defenders can see something as noticable as this. Not to mention that unless a team is playing zone D noone , but the safties for the most part are looking at the QB's eye's. But the way its set up here all 11 defenders can see the QB's eyes PERFECLTY on every single play. Even 50 yards down field. Please tell me how that is realistic.

5. Becomes way too much of a D advantage. Like I stated before it isnt fair that a QB is half blind when every defender on the field has supermans vision. I got to the point where I could intercept damm near every deep bomb a person tried on me just by playing center field and concentrating on their cone. Once you get used to the timing you can guess pretty accurately how much time the QB has to throw the ball. you contdown 3 seconds and where ever the cone is at that time you run there. IMO if your manually controlling a DB or LB you should NOT be able to see the QB's vision cone if your runing with you back turned to him.

6.And most important. The whole cone thing really is just as simple as pressing the button twice. Thats it. All this madness is really over NOTHING at all , but having to press the pass button twice. Doesnt matter how good or bad your QB is. Thats all EA should do. Take the stupid flashlight off the field and just make it so that you have to first highlight your reciever and then you can throw it to him. This would require the exact same skills as using the cone , but without having the rediculous flashlight on the field and giving the D this 100% unrealistic vision advantage.

I think the idea is good , but it does not represent real life in any way shape or form. I am guessing thats why they took it off by default last year. Its just not that tedious and time consuming to look across a football field. And if it is that hard for a QB to look across the field it should also be that hard for everyone else on the field as well.

And let me just say before you flame me I did not find the cone hard to use at all. It just looks very dumb and its implemented very unrealistically IMO.
Great post! Probably the best post I've ever seen regarding the cone. I didn't like the cone, but I eventually learned to use it in a primitive sort of way. I certainly won't complain that is defaulted to off in this year's version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

It makes no sense. The cone as it sits in the game does NOT represent a QB's eyes in anyway shape or form.

1. The fact that it only effects the QB is rediculous. The QB is forced to work with a 10 yard field of vision while every other player on the field can see EVERYTHING. If a QB's vision is reduced to sometimes as little as 5 yards wide than a DB or LB should NOT be able to make insane plays on the ball when their head is completely turned away from the QB.

2. Differences between QB's that are good and average is FAR too great. Even the worst QB in the world can see more than 10 yards wide at a time. When 2 WR's are standing about 5 yards away from each other on the same side of the field a QB should be able to see them both regardless of how bad the QB is. Noones vision is that bad. I dont know how many times I had to move my cone to a reciever who is standing pretty much right next to the reciever I was originally locked on. stupid.

3. Pressing a button takes more time than moving your eyes in real life. Move your eyes from side to side. it takes like .000000000001 seconds to do this. Go outside and look straight ahead. Look from side to side and you will see how wide your FOV truly is. And you will see how easy and how fast you can scan a field in real life. You will then realize how rediclous the cone is implemented for average QB's in this game.

4. A flashlight on the field ? Come on now. A QB's eyes on the field is not anywhere near as noticeable as a bright light spead across the entire field of play. Its rediculous that all 11 defenders can see something as noticable as this. Not to mention that unless a team is playing zone D noone , but the safties for the most part are looking at the QB's eye's. But the way its set up here all 11 defenders can see the QB's eyes PERFECLTY on every single play. Even 50 yards down field. Please tell me how that is realistic.

5. Becomes way too much of a D advantage. Like I stated before it isnt fair that a QB is half blind when every defender on the field has supermans vision. I got to the point where I could intercept damm near every deep bomb a person tried on me just by playing center field and concentrating on their cone. Once you get used to the timing you can guess pretty accurately how much time the QB has to throw the ball. you contdown 3 seconds and where ever the cone is at that time you run there. IMO if your manually controlling a DB or LB you should NOT be able to see the QB's vision cone if your runing with you back turned to him.

6.And most important. The whole cone thing really is just as simple as pressing the button twice. Thats it. All this madness is really over NOTHING at all , but having to press the pass button twice. Doesnt matter how good or bad your QB is. Thats all EA should do. Take the stupid flashlight off the field and just make it so that you have to first highlight your reciever and then you can throw it to him. This would require the exact same skills as using the cone , but without having the rediculous flashlight on the field and giving the D this 100% unrealistic vision advantage.

I think the idea is good , but it does not represent real life in any way shape or form. I am guessing thats why they took it off by default last year. Its just not that tedious and time consuming to look across a football field. And if it is that hard for a QB to look across the field it should also be that hard for everyone else on the field as well.

And let me just say before you flame me I did not find the cone hard to use at all. It just looks very dumb and its implemented very unrealistically IMO.

I think what you said here, combined with what I said in the NCAA thread yesterday ( New CFBWishlist Article! (More Feature focus) )would send it over the top.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:

Great post
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

I'm not buying any of this. I simply don't see how this

is so much more distracting than either this

or this.

If floating button icons over receivers, or the expanding concentric rings (or was that a Pink Floyd laser light show?) that accompanied "The Charge" in the 2k series are considered to be no big deal, why do some of you consider the cone to be a gamebreaking distraction? What is about it that bothers some of you so much?

People who say that using the R2 method makes the entire vision cone game mechanic pointless are missing the forest for the trees. Imo, the point of vision passing isn't to make throwing the ball impossible for average qb's. I believe it is intended to limit the number of progressions an average qb can go through before the rush gets to him. For a qb with a average size cone, using the right stick method is generally not an option, especially on any sort of crossing route. Those qbs are pretty much forced to use the trigger/button method. It's relatively to switch to a secondary receiver, but doing that more than once before getting sacked is extremely difficult.

Now compare that with the Manning's or Brady's of the world. Their cones are so large that most of the time you don't even have to bother with moving the thing. In essence the elite qb's are playing Madden 2005 with the addition of precision passing.

Ultimately, the point of vision passing is that it makes it playing the game with an avg. to below avg. qb a completely different experience form playing with a Pro Bowler at the helm. Imo it's the best innovation in console fb gaming since Madden first introduced the "above and behind the qb" camera angle.

One thing that does need to be changed: please, please move "pump fake" to a different trigger than the one we are using to change targets.

Last edited by coogrfan; 05-26-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 12

I see the general perception is that the cone looks ugly, the cone is stupid, and most cant play with it cuz it cuts down on their cheez tactics.

I love the cone. Maybe they should implement it that when playing online only you can see your cone but the opponent cant, also keep the same rules that you cant pass to a guy thats not in the cone.

I mean, this is video game football, guys are tryin to make it TOO real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #16
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13

[quote=coogrfan]I'm not buying any of this. I simply don't see how this

Was anyone else's first thought......Black button, black button, hurry, hurry push it now, Dan Campbell is OPEN????????

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »