Home

Passing Cone

This is a discussion on Passing Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Passing Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
i like the thought of having a head-turn animation. however, it might be too subtle to notice in a video game. you might have to stare directly at the qb the whole play, in which case, you'd have a hard time dropping into the right zone, or remaining in man coverage with your user controlled player.
Actually, as a defender you should already know your zone drop so that should make it easy to drop where you are supposed to drop.

Quote:
as far as "one, not open, cone move, two, not open, cone move" goes... i'm not sure how you play with the cone, but often i'll just have it default straight up field (not locked onto any receiver). then i'll make my reads manually without moving the cone there. and then when i make my decision, i move the cone. so my process is "one-not open, two-not open, three-open, move cone and throw."
I generally go with it in the middle of the field.

Quote:
unless i want to look off a defender, in which case i may lock onto someone on the left side of the field, and at the last moment switch to the right. doing this is good, however i feel that the cone moves too slowly in this case. if it snapped much faster from one side of the field to the other it would be better (as quickly as a real qb switching sides of the field with his vision).
And this is one of my biggest problems with it. It moves too slowly in such scenarios. Secondly, I still think the same thing can be accomplished and give you an extra second with just a head movement. Well let me say also that when I'm thinking head movements I'm thinking the new consoles where the player models are alot bigger than they are on PS2 and Xbox.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #26
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I think instead of the cone all they had to do was not have icons come up. You would "flip" the right stick left or right to see those recievers icons, up for middle and down for screens and then use the buttons to throw. Throw without icons up and accuracy takes a big hit.

What I would REALLY like to have is the right stick throw the ball. Like John Elway QB Arcade machine.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I think instead of the cone all they had to do was not have icons come up. You would "flip" the right stick left or right to see those recievers icons, up for middle and down for screens and then use the buttons to throw. Throw without icons up and accuracy takes a big hit.

What I would REALLY like to have is the right stick throw the ball. Like John Elway QB Arcade machine.

Old school scheme I liked too. That's how they used to do it. You had to have a passing window come up and throw to the WR based on the Window. And using the Right analog to pass was cool. TV Sports Football had that too.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #28
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Old school scheme I liked too. That's how they used to do it. You had to have a passing window come up and throw to the WR based on the Window. And using the Right analog to pass was cool. TV Sports Football had that too.
I don't remember TV Sports having icons. I believe you just aimed the QB's arm and threw the ball. The longer you held down the button the further he threw it.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I don't remember TV Sports having icons. I believe you just aimed the QB's arm and threw the ball. The longer you held down the button the further he threw it.

Yeah that's what I meant. I was just adding TV Sports in there for the analog passing scheme. No Icons at all.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #30
EA Game Changer

OVR: 28

What if we get to were baseball is right now...with pulling back the right stick and flinging it forward for a QB...much like the swing stick from 2k.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Actually, as a defender you should already know your zone drop so that should make it easy to drop where you are supposed to drop.
i know where my zone drop is supposed to be. yes. i look at the play before i call it. however, in practice, is it really something that i can tell where exactly i am on the field if i don't look at my player ever? as a real defender, he can tell where he is based on how far from the line he is and how far from the sideline or hash mark he is.

in order for me, the user, to know that, i'd have to look at him. and if i looked at him, i could no longer be seeing the qb's head turns. at least... not very well with peripheral vision.

i think a safety watching a qb doesn't take his eyes off of him, and sees the rest of the field peripherally. much harder to do on a tv screen than in real life (i'd guess. i've never played football)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
i know where my zone drop is supposed to be. yes. i look at the play before i call it. however, in practice, is it really something that i can tell where exactly i am on the field if i don't look at my player ever? as a real defender, he can tell where he is based on how far from the line he is and how far from the sideline or hash mark he is.

in order for me, the user, to know that, i'd have to look at him. and if i looked at him, i could no longer be seeing the qb's head turns. at least... not very well with peripheral vision.

i think a safety watching a qb doesn't take his eyes off of him, and sees the rest of the field peripherally. much harder to do on a tv screen than in real life (i'd guess. i've never played football)

Do you have wide screen? I use wide screen and I never have to worry if I drop to the right zone and I'm always looking at the QB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »