Home

Passing Cone

This is a discussion on Passing Cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #41
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Passing Cone

If you think about it from a QB mechanics stand point, the QB should always keep his eyes on the middle of the field anyway and use his periphial vision so he doesn't telegraph the pass. Now I'm no expert of Quarterbacking. I've only played quarterback in back yard football, but it's just common sense. So the cone in essence, contradicts that. I like the idea of the cone, but I feel that is wasn't implementated well. If they make it like it was in the days of Tecmo Super Bowl (where you had to cycle through receivers in sequential order versus having dedicated button icons) then you might have something. They can make it so that higher rated quarterbacks can cycle through the receivers faster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
If you think about it from a QB mechanics stand point, the QB should always keep his eyes on the middle of the field anyway and use his periphial vision so he doesn't telegraph the pass. Now I'm no expert of Quarterbacking. I've only played quarterback in back yard football, but it's just common sense. So the cone in essence, contradicts that. I like the idea of the cone, but I feel that is wasn't implementated well. If they make it like it was in the days of Tecmo Super Bowl (where you had to cycle through receivers in sequential order versus having dedicated button icons) then you might have something. They can make it so that higher rated quarterbacks can cycle through the receivers faster.
this post kind of gave me an idea. what if pre-snap, you chose the progression that you want to look at your receivers in. so say you want to first look to x, then to b, then in the flat to black. at the line of scrimmage, you might hold the l-trigger to zoom back and see everyone... the icons for each receiver would pop up (without your primary one blinking. god do i hate that). then you press the buttons in order you want your progression.

when you then snap the ball, the cone (or maybe the icon of the receiver) is visible only above the receiver that's highlighted in your progression. to cycle through the progression, you might hit the l-trigger once to go to the next guy.

if you got to the end of your progression, THEN the cone would come up as it is now.

at any time WITHIN your progression, if you want to throw to a receiver that isn't in your focus, perhaps you still could, but with accuracy penalties. or you could maybe break your read progression at any time to get all of the icons to come up and have the cone as per usual.

what do you all think?
Old 05-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
this post kind of gave me an idea. what if pre-snap, you chose the progression that you want to look at your receivers in. so say you want to first look to x, then to b, then in the flat to black. at the line of scrimmage, you might hold the l-trigger to zoom back and see everyone... the icons for each receiver would pop up (without your primary one blinking. god do i hate that). then you press the buttons in order you want your progression.

when you then snap the ball, the cone (or maybe the icon of the receiver) is visible only above the receiver that's highlighted in your progression. to cycle through the progression, you might hit the l-trigger once to go to the next guy.

if you got to the end of your progression, THEN the cone would come up as it is now.

at any time WITHIN your progression, if you want to throw to a receiver that isn't in your focus, perhaps you still could, but with accuracy penalties. or you could maybe break your read progression at any time to get all of the icons to come up and have the cone as per usual.

what do you all think?
very good idea...selecting your progression pre-snap would better represent field vision..building on your idea:select your progression pre-snap,then after the snap your icons pop up but are dimly lit, you then use your L trigger to cycle through your pre selected progression, once you find your target you hit the corresponding button for the toss.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:07 AM   #44
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
very good idea...selecting your progression pre-snap would better represent field vision..building on your idea:select your progression pre-snap,then after the snap your icons pop up but are dimly lit, you then use your L trigger to cycle through your pre selected progression, once you find your target you hit the corresponding button for the toss.
I don't know, it sounds too much like Tecmo Super Bowl for my tastes. You already have an idea in your head what your reads are going to be.

I think it needlessly complicates the process of passing by merely adding extra button presses. That is really all the passing vision amounted to in practice, extra button presses.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
I don't know, it sounds too much like Tecmo Super Bowl for my tastes. You already have an idea in your head what your reads are going to be.

I think it needlessly complicates the process of passing by merely adding extra button presses. That is really all the passing vision amounted to in practice, extra button presses.
...or like prime time football. fever 2004 also had a similar option, i think it was it was called trigger passing(an easier method of read and lead).i enjoyed the trigger passing style of fever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #46
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

After the snap all I do is move the cone quickly with the right analog stick to the receiver I think is open and pass so if using the trigger and button method is a problem just move the cone using the analog stick.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
After the snap all I do is move the cone quickly with the right analog stick to the receiver I think is open and pass so if using the trigger and button method is a problem just move the cone using the analog stick.

Exactly! Thanks for finally pointing that out. The cone is lame if you use the button press, but it should never be used in that fashion. using the Analog stick is the true way this feature was intended to be used. It simulates the QB progression. Using the triggers and button presses, were just a cop out for those who find the stick too hard to use.

For those knocking the cone, try using it with the analog stick. Give it a few games, and I think you will all appreciate it. I can't tell you how much I prefer having to make reads, instead of just "throw it up dog". If you want that experience, buy NFL street or Blitz...
Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vripper
Exactly! Thanks for finally pointing that out. The cone is lame if you use the button press, but it should never be used in that fashion. using the Analog stick is the true way this feature was intended to be used. It simulates the QB progression. Using the triggers and button presses, were just a cop out for those who find the stick too hard to use.

For those knocking the cone, try using it with the analog stick. Give it a few games, and I think you will all appreciate it. I can't tell you how much I prefer having to make reads, instead of just "throw it up dog". If you want that experience, buy NFL street or Blitz...

The analog method works well with qbs with high awr, but when using mid-tier qbs with 70-80 ratings in awr, their cone is too small to be confident that I can move it over the receiver I want quickly and precisely. One thing I did notice tho is that madden is kinda forgiving with being in or out of the cone. Sometimes in practice mode I'll try the right analog method and barely miss the receiver my cone but it will still let me use precision passing. Maybe I just need more practice .

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »