Home

Which would you prefer now after 1 year? Ground up or Port?

This is a discussion on Which would you prefer now after 1 year? Ground up or Port? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: After 1 year..What should EA have done..Ground up or Port?
Built from ground up 42 75.00%
Port from last gen with all features 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
Which would you prefer now after 1 year? Ground up or Port?

A game built from the "ground up" with less features but nice graphics.

or

A game that is ported to Next Gen systems with all the features from the old generation plus nice graphics.

After 1 year I would choose the port. Reason being is that this whole "Built from the ground up" phrase isn't cutting it simply because there are no new innovative features for 2 years in a row. IMO if EA ported the game over they could've left the same features and still increased the graphics while working on the gameplay. Now we are stuck with LESS features and Still no innovative gameplay mechanics with these powerful consoles.

We are now in year 2 of Next Gen systems and we still don't see stuff from current gen. Now that I really,really, REALLY think about it I believe EA should've ported the game with all the same features and build off of that. S*** if the gameplay is the same from current gen and Next Gen WHAT DID THEY REALLY BUILD FROM THE GROUND UP?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Which would you prefer now after 1 year? Ground up or Port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
A game built from the "ground up" with less features but nice graphics.

or

A game that is ported to Next Gen systems with all the features from the old generation plus nice graphics.

After 1 year I would choose the port. Reason being is that this whole "Built from the ground up" phrase isn't cutting it simply because there are no new innovative features for 2 years in a row. IMO if EA ported the game over they could've left the same features and still increased the graphics while working on the gameplay. Now we are stuck with LESS features and Still no innovative gameplay mechanics with these powerful consoles.

We are now in year 2 of Next Gen systems and we still don't see stuff from current gen. Now that I really,really, REALLY think about it I believe EA should've ported the game with all the same features and build off of that. S*** if the gameplay is the same from current gen and Next Gen WHAT DID THEY REALLY BUILD FROM THE GROUND UP?
i dont think that the gameplay is the same at all. I want it to be ported for that exact reason. next gen madden plays like a polished NFL blitz with a few more realistic touches to the game. I just want current gen gameplay with the RB and LB buttons substituted for the white and black buttons.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

I find it interesting that when EA hosts madden tournaments they use the xbox and not the next gen. That should tell us when they think of the '06 360 version. Hopefully things will be different for '07 since I've preordered my 360 version...

Last edited by xylocaine; 06-22-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain905
i dont think that the gameplay is the same at all. I want it to be ported for that exact reason. next gen madden plays like a polished NFL blitz with a few more realistic touches to the game. I just want current gen gameplay with the RB and LB buttons substituted for the white and black buttons.
I agree 100%. 360 madden feels like a Blitz/2k3 hybrid.

What happend to the momentum based physics? Anyone have an answer to that question?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I am going to reserve judgment on this issue until I see the '07 version, which is EA's first real installment on next gen because last year's game was a watered-down version of what was already out on the current gen.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Rookie

sleepychicken's Arena

OVR: 4

I like from the ground up, but I'd like to see it really from the ground up. I get sick of hearing how new sports titles have X amount of new animations. With the power these new systems have, I don't think we should have to settle for animations anymore. For years and years, our games were 2D with hand animated sprites. Then 3D came along. Then motion-captured animations. That was a big step and it was great. Now I'd like to see someone, anyone at least working on taking out canned animations and using real physics in games, especially sports games. It's about time for a real innovation, much like mo-cap was a long time ago. The new consoles have the power. And I've seen videos from a company that have applied their physics engine to football, showing various tackles and such. I'm not talking about silly rag doll or havoc physics where everything becomes wieghtless and bounces around all silly.

I'd take a game like that without any features, at least the first version anyway. And I'm happy with the games we're currently getting, what bothers me is that no one is even mentioning this. I would hope by the next round of consoles we would have a game like this, but it's not likely if some developer isn't already working on it today.

Just think, every tackle would be different. Gang tackles wouldn't be programmed in, they would just happen. Players wouldn't fall the same way everytime, so it would actually look different when i get hit in the back of my feet as opposed to the back of my helmet, instead of falling the same way with the current technology.

Players would actually carry their weigth according to how fat,tall,skinny,muscular they are.

There's no end to how much cooler gameplay would be in every single aspect.

Would be great.

Last edited by sleepychicken; 06-22-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #7

OVR: 34

Why are we as consumers settling for this nonsense of "from the ground up?" It's as if the developers of this game have TOLD us that it's going to take a few years to get the game completely polished. I mean enough is enough. This game should be coming out of the gate complete, not lacking. Period. This is crazy guys. I don't care if you like the game or not. Any other developer would be shunned if they openly admitted that their game was a continuous work in progress. I'm tired of it. The same goes for 2K Sports and the lousy baseball game they put out.

We are paying 60.00 for games that they are admitting aren't complete!

Last edited by DaveDQ; 06-22-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
Why are we as consumers settling for this nonsense of "from the ground up?" It's as if the developers of this game have TOLD us that it's going to take a few years to get the game completely polished. I mean enough is enough. This game should be coming out of the gate complete, not lacking. Period. This is crazy guys. I don't care if you like the game or not. Any other developer would be shunned if they openly admitted that their game was a continuous work in progress. I'm tired of it. The same goes for 2K Sports and the lousy baseball game they put out.

We are paying 60.00 for games that they are admitting aren't complete!

True dat. Thats why sports games for me have taken a back seat for more complete games like your adverage FPS or RPG. The real question should be would you rather wait 2 years for EA or any company for that matter to release a sports game or are you prefectly fine with the yearly editions?

For once it would be nice to see a game fully complete and tweaked to perfection. Each year, the devs keep adding stuff and dont have the time to complete their initial work. As long as we continue to pay full price for half done yearly editions, we will never see the end all perfect sports game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »